Calc: soft returns?

paul_b-4
Is there any way to insert a soft return within a cell? I want to
create paragraphs at times, but shift-Return only closes a cell's
editing and advances the focus upwards.

Thanks,
Paul

--
Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.

Re: Calc: soft returns?

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 08:51 -0500, Paul_B wrote:
> Is there any way to insert a soft return within a cell? I want to
> create paragraphs at times, but shift-Return only closes a cell's
> editing and advances the focus upwards.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Paul,

I can use Ctrl-Enter to do this as explained in Help > Contents > Index
> Search term > cells;line breaks

See if it works for you.

--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead

Re: Calc: soft returns?

paul_b-4
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 09:05:15 -0500, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 08:51 -0500, Paul_B wrote:
>> Is there any way to insert a soft return within a cell? I want to
>> create paragraphs at times, but shift-Return only closes a cell's
>> editing and advances the focus upwards.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>
> Paul,
>
> I can use Ctrl-Enter to do this as explained in Help > Contents > Index
>> Search term > cells;line breaks
>
> See if it works for you.

Perfect, Rod, thanks. I didn't come up with where to look in
Help, and should have tried Ctl-Ent in any case.

Thanks,
Paul
--
Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.

Re: Calc: soft returns?

Keith Bainbridge
G'day Paul,

You could also try:

format|cells|tick 'wrap text'

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 08:51:07 -0500 Paul_B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way to insert a soft return within a cell? I want to
> create paragraphs at times, but shift-Return only closes a cell's
> editing and advances the focus upwards.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> --
> Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.

Keith Bainbridge
PO Box 324
BELMONT   Vic   3216  OZ
+61(0)3-5241-1881

Re: Calc: soft returns?

Dan Lewis-6
On Sunday 04 December 2005 07:02 pm, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> G'day Paul,
>
> You could also try:
>
> format|cells|tick 'wrap text'

     It is located on the Alignment tab window.

Dan

> On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 08:51:07 -0500 Paul_B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there any way to insert a soft return within a cell? I want to
> > create paragraphs at times, but shift-Return only closes a cell's
> > editing and advances the focus upwards.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paul
> >
> > --
> > Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.

Re: Calc: soft returns?

paul_b-4
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 12:02:33 +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> G'day Paul,
>
> You could also try:
>
> format|cells|tick 'wrap text'
>
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 08:51:07 -0500 Paul_B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to insert a soft return within a cell? I want to
>> create paragraphs at times, but shift-Return only closes a cell's
>> editing and advances the focus upwards.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul

Hi Keith,

Actually, that's a different function than the one I want. I'm
trying to start certain text on new lines rather than casually
wrap at the cells' edge.

Thanks,
Paul

--
Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.

Re: Calc: soft returns?

tanstaafl_bh
>> Is there any way to insert a soft return within a cell? I want to
>> create paragraphs at times, but shift-Return only closes a cell's
>> editing and advances the focus upwards.

> Actually, that's a different function than the one I want. I'm
> trying to start certain text on new lines rather than casually
> wrap at the cells' edge.

I think what you are looking for is 'Ctrl-Enter', which does just what
you want.

--

Charles

Re: Calc: soft returns?

paul_b-4
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:19:11 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:

>>> Is there any way to insert a soft return within a cell? I want to
>>> create paragraphs at times, but shift-Return only closes a cell's
>>> editing and advances the focus upwards.
>
>> Actually, that's a different function than the one I want. I'm
>> trying to start certain text on new lines rather than casually
>> wrap at the cells' edge.
>
> I think what you are looking for is 'Ctrl-Enter', which does just what
> you want.

Yes, thanks. See upthread.

Paul
--