Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Andrea Pescetti-2
## Call for Proposals

We are happy to announce that we will be running an Apache OpenOffice
Devroom again at FOSDEM 2021.

The event will be held online on Saturday, February 6th, 2021.
Participation is free. No registration required.

We are now open to receiving proposals for content for a full day of
talks, demos and discussions on and around Apache OpenOffice.

## Important dates

- Submission deadline: Monday Dec 28th 2020
- Schedule announcement: Thursday December 31st 2020
- Devroom date: Saturday Feb 6th 2021

## Topics

Anything related to Apache OpenOffice is welcome:

- Technical talks about Apache OpenOffice itself
- Apache OpenOffice stories, demos and tutorials
- Talks about topics related to Apache OpenOffice (ODF, build tools,
translation tools, community...) may be submitted too

## Submissions

Submissions are easy: basically just a talk title and short description.

Visit https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM21

- If you do not have an account from previous years, create one
- Click 'Create Event'
- Enter your talk details
- Enter a maximum duration of 45 minutes
- Be sure to select the Apache OpenOffice Devroom track
- Submit

Looking forward to seeing your submissions!

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Carl Marcum
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the information!

I submitted the OpenOffice UNO Programming with Groovy talk I did at
ApacheCon this year.

Best regards,
Carl

On 12/8/20 3:51 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> ## Call for Proposals
>
> We are happy to announce that we will be running an Apache OpenOffice
> Devroom again at FOSDEM 2021.
>
> The event will be held online on Saturday, February 6th, 2021.
> Participation is free. No registration required.
>
> We are now open to receiving proposals for content for a full day of
> talks, demos and discussions on and around Apache OpenOffice.
>
> ## Important dates
>
> - Submission deadline: Monday Dec 28th 2020
> - Schedule announcement: Thursday December 31st 2020
> - Devroom date: Saturday Feb 6th 2021
>
> ## Topics
>
> Anything related to Apache OpenOffice is welcome:
>
> - Technical talks about Apache OpenOffice itself
> - Apache OpenOffice stories, demos and tutorials
> - Talks about topics related to Apache OpenOffice (ODF, build tools,
> translation tools, community...) may be submitted too
>
> ## Submissions
>
> Submissions are easy: basically just a talk title and short description.
>
> Visit https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM21
>
> - If you do not have an account from previous years, create one
> - Click 'Create Event'
> - Enter your talk details
> - Enter a maximum duration of 45 minutes
> - Be sure to select the Apache OpenOffice Devroom track
> - Submit
>
> Looking forward to seeing your submissions!
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Re: Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi all,

I have also entered a lecture. I would like to try if we can use the
event to proceed to use as a public think tank.

The talk will be prerecorded, and so I can focus on the discussion with
interested folks.

Title: The future of Base

Here is my abstract:

In this talk I will be talking about base. Base is the Database focused
Application within Apache OpenOffice.
We will start of with a short Description where Base comes from, and
what the Idea behind base has been.
I will sum up discussions that have taken place on development Mailinglist.
And I would like to take some visions up from the previous discussions
and talk a bit about what Base
would needs if we would go into the direction of analytics and big data.

All the Best

Peter

On 11.12.20 01:13, Carl Marcum wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Thanks for the information!
>
> I submitted the OpenOffice UNO Programming with Groovy talk I did at
> ApacheCon this year.
>
> Best regards,
> Carl
>
> On 12/8/20 3:51 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> ## Call for Proposals
>>
>> We are happy to announce that we will be running an Apache OpenOffice
>> Devroom again at FOSDEM 2021.
>>
>> The event will be held online on Saturday, February 6th, 2021.
>> Participation is free. No registration required.
>>
>> We are now open to receiving proposals for content for a full day of
>> talks, demos and discussions on and around Apache OpenOffice.
>>
>> ## Important dates
>>
>> - Submission deadline: Monday Dec 28th 2020
>> - Schedule announcement: Thursday December 31st 2020
>> - Devroom date: Saturday Feb 6th 2021
>>
>> ## Topics
>>
>> Anything related to Apache OpenOffice is welcome:
>>
>> - Technical talks about Apache OpenOffice itself
>> - Apache OpenOffice stories, demos and tutorials
>> - Talks about topics related to Apache OpenOffice (ODF, build tools,
>> translation tools, community...) may be submitted too
>>
>> ## Submissions
>>
>> Submissions are easy: basically just a talk title and short description.
>>
>> Visit https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM21
>>
>> - If you do not have an account from previous years, create one
>> - Click 'Create Event'
>> - Enter your talk details
>> - Enter a maximum duration of 45 minutes
>> - Be sure to select the Apache OpenOffice Devroom track
>> - Submit
>>
>> Looking forward to seeing your submissions!
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Andrea.

Re: Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Matthias Seidel
Hi Andrea,

Wouldn't it be useful to have a link to the CfP also here:

https://fosdem.org/2021/schedule/tracks/

Like the other Dev rooms did it?

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello all,

We are still looking for participants.

There are a view days left to reserve a slot for your talk. It would be
nice if we have some more talks.

Talks are prerecorded, in case you wonder.

All the Best

Peter

On 11.12.20 01:13, Carl Marcum wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Thanks for the information!
>
> I submitted the OpenOffice UNO Programming with Groovy talk I did at
> ApacheCon this year.
>
> Best regards,
> Carl
>
> On 12/8/20 3:51 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> ## Call for Proposals
>>
>> We are happy to announce that we will be running an Apache OpenOffice
>> Devroom again at FOSDEM 2021.
>>
>> The event will be held online on Saturday, February 6th, 2021.
>> Participation is free. No registration required.
>>
>> We are now open to receiving proposals for content for a full day of
>> talks, demos and discussions on and around Apache OpenOffice.
>>
>> ## Important dates
>>
>> - Submission deadline: Monday Dec 28th 2020
>> - Schedule announcement: Thursday December 31st 2020
>> - Devroom date: Saturday Feb 6th 2021
>>
>> ## Topics
>>
>> Anything related to Apache OpenOffice is welcome:
>>
>> - Technical talks about Apache OpenOffice itself
>> - Apache OpenOffice stories, demos and tutorials
>> - Talks about topics related to Apache OpenOffice (ODF, build tools,
>> translation tools, community...) may be submitted too
>>
>> ## Submissions
>>
>> Submissions are easy: basically just a talk title and short description.
>>
>> Visit https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM21
>>
>> - If you do not have an account from previous years, create one
>> - Click 'Create Event'
>> - Enter your talk details
>> - Enter a maximum duration of 45 minutes
>> - Be sure to select the Apache OpenOffice Devroom track
>> - Submit
>>
>> Looking forward to seeing your submissions!
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Andrea.

Re: Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello

I tried to register and get an empty page.

I intend to do the same talk as done a ApacheCon about translation

It will be prerecorded.

Kind regards

Am 22.12.20 um 11:39 schrieb Peter Kovacs:

> Hello all,
>

> We are still looking for participants.
>
> There are a view days left to reserve a slot for your talk. It would be
> nice if we have some more talks.
>
> Talks are prerecorded, in case you wonder.
>

> All the Best
>
> Peter
>

> On 11.12.20 01:13, Carl Marcum wrote:
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> Thanks for the information!
>>
>> I submitted the OpenOffice UNO Programming with Groovy talk I did at
>> ApacheCon this year.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Carl
>>
>> On 12/8/20 3:51 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> ## Call for Proposals
>>>
>>> We are happy to announce that we will be running an Apache OpenOffice
>>> Devroom again at FOSDEM 2021.
>>>
>>> The event will be held online on Saturday, February 6th, 2021.
>>> Participation is free. No registration required.
>>>
>>> We are now open to receiving proposals for content for a full day of
>>> talks, demos and discussions on and around Apache OpenOffice.
>>>
>>> ## Important dates
>>>
>>> - Submission deadline: Monday Dec 28th 2020
>>> - Schedule announcement: Thursday December 31st 2020
>>> - Devroom date: Saturday Feb 6th 2021
>>>
>>> ## Topics
>>>
>>> Anything related to Apache OpenOffice is welcome:
>>>
>>> - Technical talks about Apache OpenOffice itself
>>> - Apache OpenOffice stories, demos and tutorials
>>> - Talks about topics related to Apache OpenOffice (ODF, build tools,
>>> translation tools, community...) may be submitted too
>>>
>>> ## Submissions
>>>
>>> Submissions are easy: basically just a talk title and short description.
>>>
>>> Visit https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM21
>>>
>>> - If you do not have an account from previous years, create one
>>> - Click 'Create Event'
>>> - Enter your talk details
>>> - Enter a maximum duration of 45 minutes
>>> - Be sure to select the Apache OpenOffice Devroom track
>>> - Submit
>>>
>>> Looking forward to seeing your submissions!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Dave Fisher-2
I submitted a talk on Apache OpenOffice Web Resources.

> On Dec 8, 2020, at 12:51 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ## Call for Proposals
>
> We are happy to announce that we will be running an Apache OpenOffice Devroom again at FOSDEM 2021.
>
> The event will be held online on Saturday, February 6th, 2021. Participation is free. No registration required.
>
> We are now open to receiving proposals for content for a full day of talks, demos and discussions on and around Apache OpenOffice.
>
> ## Important dates
>
> - Submission deadline: Monday Dec 28th 2020
> - Schedule announcement: Thursday December 31st 2020
> - Devroom date: Saturday Feb 6th 2021
>
> ## Topics
>
> Anything related to Apache OpenOffice is welcome:
>
> - Technical talks about Apache OpenOffice itself
> - Apache OpenOffice stories, demos and tutorials
> - Talks about topics related to Apache OpenOffice (ODF, build tools, translation tools, community...) may be submitted too
>
> ## Submissions
>
> Submissions are easy: basically just a talk title and short description.
>
> Visit https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM21
>
> - If you do not have an account from previous years, create one
> - Click 'Create Event'
> - Enter your talk details
> - Enter a maximum duration of 45 minutes
> - Be sure to select the Apache OpenOffice Devroom track
> - Submit
>
> Looking forward to seeing your submissions!
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Re: Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

marcia wilbur
I submitted a short 30 min doctalk meeting proposal. Maybe discuss contribution opportunities... etc.

-mkw

I submitted a talk on Apache OpenOffice Web Resources.

> On Dec 8, 2020, at 12:51 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ## Call for Proposals
>
> We are happy to announce that we will be running an Apache OpenOffice Devroom again at FOSDEM 2021.
>
> The event will be held online on Saturday, February 6th, 2021. Participation is free. No registration required.
>
> We are now open to receiving proposals for content for a full day of talks, demos and discussions on and around Apache OpenOffice.
>
> ## Important dates
>
> - Submission deadline: Monday Dec 28th 2020
> - Schedule announcement: Thursday December 31st 2020
> - Devroom date: Saturday Feb 6th 2021
>
> ## Topics
>
> Anything related to Apache OpenOffice is welcome:
>
> - Technical talks about Apache OpenOffice itself
> - Apache OpenOffice stories, demos and tutorials
> - Talks about topics related to Apache OpenOffice (ODF, build tools, translation tools, community...) may be submitted too
>
> ## Submissions
>
> Submissions are easy: basically just a talk title and short description.
>
> Visit https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM21
>
> - If you do not have an account from previous years, create one
> - Click 'Create Event'
> - Enter your talk details
> - Enter a maximum duration of 45 minutes
> - Be sure to select the Apache OpenOffice Devroom track
> - Submit
>
> Looking forward to seeing your submissions!
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Re: Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Andrea Pescetti-2
Last call: don't be shy! Let's take FOSDEM as an occasion for an overall
"state of the project" where we inform each other on the current status
and ways forward.

All talks will be pre-recorded as Peter wrote, so no problem with
timezones; but after each talk we will have a live "questions and
answers" session for community talk.

Suggestions of what could be added for a more complete schedule (I won't
add names, but if you recognize yourself in the description please go
ahead and file a proposal immediately, as the schedule will need to be
defined on 31 Dec; see https://s.apache.org/openoffice-fosdem-2021-cfp
for details).

- Releases: How we do them, possible improvements, what's coming in 4.2.0

- Recruitment: ideas on how to improve it

- History of a first contribution (issues with documentation, with first
build, filing patches)

- Build system migration

- MWiki current status

- Reviewing patches on Github: our policies for testing, merging...

- Website migrations away from CMS (I see a proposal by Dave, but I read
it as an overview of our ancillary sites, not the two that were moved
away from the CMS; the migration itself would be an interesting topic
for another presentation).

- whatever you feel presenting; and no problem if it is more questions
than answers.

Important: please make sure you file your presentation/event in the
"Apache OpenOffice" track, as otherwise it will be easy for us to miss
it when preparing the final schedule.

Answering to Matthias below:
> Wouldn't it be useful to have a link to the CfP also here:
> https://fosdem.org/2021/schedule/tracks/

Yes, I sent it to FOSDEM just a few minutes after sending it here, then
I sent it the week after that... but apparently it was stuck in some
anti-spam filter until I let them notice again and then they published
the link. They fixed it about two weeks ago.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Call for Proposals: Apache OpenOffice Devroom at FOSDEM 2021 (online)

Dave Fisher-3

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 28, 2020, at 3:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Last call: don't be shy! Let's take FOSDEM as an occasion for an overall "state of the project" where we inform each other on the current status and ways forward.
>
> All talks will be pre-recorded as Peter wrote, so no problem with timezones; but after each talk we will have a live "questions and answers" session for community talk.
>
> Suggestions of what could be added for a more complete schedule (I won't add names, but if you recognize yourself in the description please go ahead and file a proposal immediately, as the schedule will need to be defined on 31 Dec; see https://s.apache.org/openoffice-fosdem-2021-cfp for details).
>
> - Releases: How we do them, possible improvements, what's coming in 4.2.0
>
> - Recruitment: ideas on how to improve it
>
> - History of a first contribution (issues with documentation, with first build, filing patches)
>
> - Build system migration
>
> - MWiki current status
>
> - Reviewing patches on Github: our policies for testing, merging...
>
> - Website migrations away from CMS (I see a proposal by Dave, but I read it as an overview of our ancillary sites, not the two that were moved away from the CMS; the migration itself would be an interesting topic for another presentation).

Those sites were included. I can add those as a separate presentation.

Regards,
Dave