Quantcast

Can't get indented paragraph format to work

Can't get indented paragraph format to work

Dave C

Hello,
I’m trying to get an indented paragraph format to work.

For example:

I’ve tried using both the ruler and paragraph format dialog and can’t get this to work. No matter how I adjust the margins the left margin is even: the entire paragraph indents as a block of text. I cannot get the first line’s left margin to be different from the left margin of the rest of the lines in the paragraph.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

Any pointers to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

OpenOffice 4.1.3
MacOS 10.12.4

Re: Can't get indented paragraph format to work

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 18 May 2017 12:01:46 -0700
"Dave C" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I’m trying to get an indented paragraph format to work.
>
> For example:
>
> ![](cid:[hidden email] "Screen Shot
> 2017-05-18 at 11.52.19 AM.png")
>
> I’ve tried using both the ruler and paragraph format dialog and
> can’t get this to work. No matter how I adjust the margins the left
> margin is even: the entire paragraph indents as a block of text. I
> cannot get the first line’s left margin to be different from the left
> margin of the rest of the lines in the paragraph.
>
> Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Any pointers to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> OpenOffice 4.1.3
> MacOS 10.12.4

You are using direct formatting, which in OpenOffice is not the best way.  Better to learn how to use Styles.  For what you need to do change the formatting of the Paragraph Style you wish to modify; on the Indents and Spacing tab set the indent "Before text" (which is for the entire paragraph) and the "First line" indent (which is for the first line only) you require.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Can't get indented paragraph format to work

Dave C
Brian,
Thanks for your reply.

In the meantime I noticed that this note was within a run-on numbered
list (the last numbered step was a page earlier). I clicked on the
numbered list icon in the Paragraph Formatting dialog (it was
highlighted) and that fixed it. Apparently OO allows only one or the
other: numbered list or custom formatting. Which makes sense, I guess.

Thanks again for your reply.

Dave

-=-=-=-