Can't open a story I wrote -help!

Loretta Chardin
I wrote a story in pdf and saved it in Apache Open Office and when I try to open it I just get a bunch of symbols.  This hasn’t happened with other stories.

Please help, thanks!

Loretta

Re: Can't open a story I wrote -help!

Felmon Davis-2
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020, Loretta Chardin wrote:

> I wrote a story in pdf and saved it in Apache Open Office and when I
> try to open it I just get a bunch of symbols.  This hasn’t happened
> with other stories.
>
> Please help, thanks!
>
> Loretta

To my knowledge OpenOffice doesn't read pdf's. you need a pdf reader.

sometimes your browser will do it, Firefox does; trick is to point the
browser to the file.

Don't know if you are using Windows or something else but there are
plenty of free pdf readers.

You probably 'exported' your story to pdf while you actually 'saved'
your other tales in OpenOffice format (.ods).

fjd

--
Felmon Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.

Re: Can't open a story I wrote -help!

Allen Schaaf
This problem with Apache's Open Office is why I moved to
LibreOffice. While I've only used it for about two years and
sometimes have trouble finding out how to handle some issues, on
the whole it is better than Apache's Open Office and Microsoft Word.

Because I deal with a lot of people who use Microsoft Word I have
to save my files as *.doc and that works for all the people who I
work with, even the Mac users, so I suggest you check out
LibreOffice to solve this problem.

Best,

Allen

On 12/20/2020 4:14 AM, Felmon Davis wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2020, Loretta Chardin wrote:
>
>> I wrote a story in pdf and saved it in Apache Open Office and
>> when I try to open it I just get a bunch of symbols.  This
>> hasn’t happened with other stories.
>>
>> Please help, thanks!
>>
>> Loretta
>
> To my knowledge OpenOffice doesn't read pdf's. you need a pdf
> reader.
>
> sometimes your browser will do it, Firefox does; trick is to
> point the browser to the file.
>
> Don't know if you are using Windows or something else but there
> are plenty of free pdf readers.
>
> You probably 'exported' your story to pdf while you actually
> 'saved' your other tales in OpenOffice format (.ods).
>
> fjd

Re: Can't open a story I wrote -help!

Allen Schaaf
What I forgot to say is that LibreOffice opens PDFs easily, even
very old PDFs I have.

On 12/20/2020 2:30 PM, Allen Schaaf wrote:

> This problem with Apache's Open Office is why I moved to
> LibreOffice. While I've only used it for about two years and
> sometimes have trouble finding out how to handle some issues,
> on the whole it is better than Apache's Open Office and
> Microsoft Word.
>
> Because I deal with a lot of people who use Microsoft Word I
> have to save my files as *.doc and that works for all the
> people who I work with, even the Mac users, so I suggest you
> check out LibreOffice to solve this problem.
>
> Best,
>
> Allen
>
> On 12/20/2020 4:14 AM, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Dec 2020, Loretta Chardin wrote:
>>
>>> I wrote a story in pdf and saved it in Apache Open Office and
>>> when I try to open it I just get a bunch of symbols.  This
>>> hasn’t happened with other stories.
>>>
>>> Please help, thanks!
>>>
>>> Loretta
>>
>> To my knowledge OpenOffice doesn't read pdf's. you need a pdf
>> reader.
>>
>> sometimes your browser will do it, Firefox does; trick is to
>> point the browser to the file.
>>
>> Don't know if you are using Windows or something else but
>> there are plenty of free pdf readers.
>>
>> You probably 'exported' your story to pdf while you actually
>> 'saved' your other tales in OpenOffice format (.ods).
>>
>> fjd

Re: Can't open a story I wrote -help!

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 20:47:45 -0800
Loretta Chardin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wrote a story in pdf and saved it in Apache Open Office and when I try to open it I just get a bunch of symbols.  This hasn’t happened with other stories.
>
> Please help, thanks!
>
> Loretta

PDF is designed as a read-only format; it is a bad idea to work in that.  One should work, if using OpenOffice, in .odt format (OO's native format) and when the work is finished /File /Export as PDF to generate PDF files for distribution; if further editing or revision is needed, edit and Save in the .odt file, regenerating the distribution PDF.

OpenOffice needs an extension installed to allow it do simple editing on PDF files. This extension can  be downloaded from
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/node/17351,

It is possible that you may be able to cut and paste the text from the PDF file into a blank OpenOffice Writer file, whether in one unit or in chunks.  Remaking such a Writer file is in my opinion a better way to proceed than attempting to edit a PDF file, whether using OpenOffice or LibreOffice, where the editing facilities for a PDF file are rudimentary.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Can't open a story I wrote -help!

Loretta Chardin
Thanks so much.  I installed pdf reader, but (I'm not computer savvy).  I
don't know what to do next,  Please advise step by step.

Thanks again,
Loretta

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to
change ourselves." - Victor Frankl

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020, Loretta Chardin wrote:

> Thanks so much.  I installed pdf reader, but (I'm not computer savvy).  I
> don't know what to do next,  Please advise step by step.
>
> Thanks again,
> Loretta

I or someone else may be able to help more specifically but you have
omitted some details: what is the name of this 'pdf reader' and are
you using Windows 10 or something else?

I wonder how you "wrote a story in pdf" but anyway, the main thing is
we assume the pdf is the only copy you have.

f.

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 4:56 AM Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Dec 2020, Loretta Chardin wrote:
>>
>>> I wrote a story in pdf and saved it in Apache Open Office and when I
>>> try to open it I just get a bunch of symbols.  This hasn’t happened
>>> with other stories.
>>>
>>> Please help, thanks!
>>>
>>> Loretta
>>
>> To my knowledge OpenOffice doesn't read pdf's. you need a pdf reader.
>>
>> sometimes your browser will do it, Firefox does; trick is to point the
>> browser to the file.
>>
>> Don't know if you are using Windows or something else but there are
>> plenty of free pdf readers.
>>
>> You probably 'exported' your story to pdf while you actually 'saved'
>> your other tales in OpenOffice format (.ods).
>>
>> fjd
>>
>> --
>> Felmon Davis
>>
>> Verbum sat sapienti.

Felmon Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.

Re: Can't open a story I wrote -help!

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 16:50:20 -0800
Loretta Chardin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks so much.  I installed pdf reader, but (I'm not computer savvy).  I
> don't know what to do next,  Please advise step by step.
>
> Thanks again,
> Loretta

A PDF reader is precisely that - a READER, not an Editor.  In your PDF reader you should select your text, Copy it (Ctrl C - Cmd C on a Mac) and then Paste it (Ctrl V - Cmd V on Mac) into a blank OpenOffice Writer document.  Then, in Writer, you can edit it, Save it, and generate (/File /Export as PDF) a fresh PDF for distribuution.  For future revisions, edit the Writer document.

RoryOF