Can't open previous ( .odt) documents now in Open Office.

Can't open previous ( .odt) documents now in Open Office.

Dennis Koziol

I have been using Open Office for the last few months without any problem on my new computer.

I had been using Microsoft Office for years but could not stand how they almost wanted a pint of blood every year just to use their product at home. Like I said I just started using your product and had been really happy with it.

But now I can’t open documents in Open Office when I had just created those documents in that program weeks before.

I am currently unemployed and looking for a job – all my resumes are in (.odt). Will I be able to send them out?

I am also a writer and have been converting a ton of my previous documents into your format – this scares me.

I don’t know what happened but this could destroy years worth of work.

I will send two attachments, one of what I see when I try to open a document, and the other of what I see when it does open.

If this continues to happen I will have to pay the blood to try to get my documents back.

Let me know if you get an answer.

Dennis Koziol

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Can't open previous ( .odt) documents now in Open Office.

David Robley
Your attachments were stripped by the mailing list software. As I can't
see them, I'm guessing that you try to open the documents by double
clicking on them in Windows Explorer and Windows is offering to open
them with MS Office.

If this is the case, it is likely that a Windows upgrade has silently
changed file associations so the Windows is configured to open
OpenOffice files with MS Office. Set the associations again - for
Windows 10 click Start-->Settings-->System--->Default Apps-->Set
Defaults by App. Click on Apache OpenOffice then Set this program as
default.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-browser-program-windows-10
is a page with pictures showing ways of changing default programs in Win 10

  As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to
the mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
will be ignored. Since you are not subscribed to this list you may not
see all the replies to your query. To subscribe to Apache OpenOffice
mailing lists go to http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html

On 4/1/19 11:12 am, Dennis Koziol wrote:

> I have been using Open Office for the last few months without any
> problem on my new computer.
>
> I had been using Microsoft Office for years but could not stand how
> they almost wanted a pint of blood every year just to use their
> product at home. Like I said I just started using your product and had
> been really happy with it.
>
> But now I can’t open documents in Open Office when I had just created
> those documents in that program weeks before.
>
> I am currently unemployed and looking for a job – all my resumes are
> in (.odt). Will I be able to send them out?
>
> I am also a writer and have been converting a ton of my previous
> documents into your format – this scares me.
>
> I don’t know what happened but this could destroy years worth of work.
>
> I will send two attachments, one of what I see when I try to open a
> document, and the other of what I see when it does open.
>
> If this continues to happen I will have to pay the blood to try to get
> my documents back.
>
> Let me know if you get an answer.
>
> Dennis Koziol

> Windows 10

Cheers
--
David Robley

If a program is useful, it must be changed.