Can we see "Oracle dropping OOo" as FUD about OOo?

Can we see "Oracle dropping OOo" as FUD about OOo?

Ramon Sole
Hi *, (and journalists reading the list),

Aren't you becoming tired of so many people telling everywhere Oracle is
going to shut off OpenOffice.org ? That’s worse than the FUD from MS!

A regular argument is "because Oracle doesn’t like Open Source: look at
the Open Solaris project". OpenSolaris and OOo are very diffferent
projects, no comparison possible. And Novell, Red Hat and Google like
Open Source because they believe in the FSF philosophy and Richard
Stallman is their hero, don’t they?

Guys, once more, just look at the numbers. Anyone who could make a
strategic analysis can see OOo is a good business to Oracle. As it
having its own to Novell, Red Hat and Google, the companys who really
founded TDF. OOo is the best competitor to MS, it’s like a torpedo to
the float line of MS. And it’s very cheap to Oracle to fuel it.
Why the hell is Oracle going to deactivate a torpedo is already running
a top speed against its main competitor and needs just some cents (in
Oracle scale) to go ahead?

Furthermore, Oracle needs a Office Suite to integrate with its BI
products, and now it owns the best one outside MS, with a quality that
can compete with MS Office, for free. Is Oracle going to stop the spread
of OOo shuting off the Community?

Maybe it's good idea to express here your thoughts about.

Best Greetings,

Ramon

Re: Can we see "Oracle dropping OOo" as FUD about OOo?

Cor Nouws
Ramon Sole wrote (29-10-10 01:14)
> Aren't you becoming tired of so many people telling everywhere Oracle is
> going to shut off OpenOffice.org ? That’s worse than the FUD from MS!

Indeed it are ridiculous blunt suggestions that journalists & bloggers
should not take serious and use as headlines.

Regards,
Cor

Re: Can we see "Oracle dropping OOo" as FUD about OOo?

Jonathon Blake
On 10/28/2010 11:14 PM, Ramon Sole wrote:

> Guys, once more, just look at the numbers. Anyone who could make a strategic analysis can see OOo is a good business to Oracle.

As far as the phrase "is good business" goes, for oracle that means
"generates cash --- lots of it."

>  OOo is the best competitor to MS, it's like a torpedo to the float line of MS.

Oracle has demonstrated that they want to surpass SCO in corporate
stupidity, and deliberate and wilful self-destruction.

> Why the hell is Oracle going to deactivate a torpedo is already running a top speed against its main competitor and needs just some cents (in Oracle scale) to go ahead?

Because Oracle's inability to grok FLOSS is such, that it will commit
corporate suicide in the name of deliberate and wilful corporate ignorance.

> Is Oracle going to stop the spread of OOo shutting off the Community?

Based on Oracle's public statements, and their commitment to their FLOSS
strategy that they have spectacularly demonstrated in the past nine
months, Oracle really thinks that it can own FLOSS, and that it can stop
FLOSS by shutting off community support.

jonathon
--
No human will see non-list, non-bulk, non-junk email sent to this address.
It all gets forwarded to /dev/null