Cannot get cells to accept "Date" formatting.

Cannot get cells to accept "Date" formatting.

Paul Collins
Hello all,

I am running AOO 4.1.3 on iMac Yosemite 10.10.5. I keep several spreadsheets which detail orders, symbol keys etc. but cannot format cells to accept ‘Format/Cells…/Date’ with "31 Dec 1999” option.

When I press the keys “3”, “/“, “4” and “return”, the tabulation “3/4” (superscript subscript) as a fraction is displayed, not the desired date 3 April 2017.  I have tried copying a formatted cell (above the blank cell) which is correctly formatted e.g. “17 Mar 2017” and pasted that into the cell I want to fill, assuming that the correct formatting of the ‘copy’ cell will transfer to the desired cell through the subsequent ‘paste’ action.  Alas, the ‘3 / 4’ key entry still displays as a fraction, not a date.

Could someone please advise how I can achieve the Date formatting I need?

Sincerely, ranger1s.

Re: Cannot get cells to accept "Date" formatting.

Martin Groenescheij

On 12/04/17 6:07 PM, paulranger wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am running AOO 4.1.3 on iMac Yosemite 10.10.5. I keep several spreadsheets which detail orders, symbol keys etc. but cannot format cells to accept ‘Format/Cells…/Date’ with "31 Dec 1999” option.
>
> When I press the keys “3”, “/“, “4” and “return”, the tabulation “3/4” (superscript subscript) as a fraction is displayed, not the desired date 3 April 2017.  I have tried copying a formatted cell (above the blank cell) which is correctly formatted e.g. “17 Mar 2017” and pasted that into the cell I want to fill, assuming that the correct formatting of the ‘copy’ cell will transfer to the desired cell through the subsequent ‘paste’ action.  Alas, the ‘3 / 4’ key entry still displays as a fraction, not a date.
>
> Could someone please advise how I can achieve the Date formatting I need?

Under Tools (Preference) go to AutoCorrect Options go to the Options Tab
and deselect the "Use replacement table" box

> Sincerely, ranger1s.

Re: Cannot get cells to accept "Date" formatting.

Paul Collins
Thank you, Martin. I followed your kind advice and the cell Date formatting seems to be resolved.

Sincerely, ranger1.