Ch15 Writer Guide - Forms

Claire Wood
Hi Everyone

Can anyone tell me please what a "spinner" is in relation to creating forms
using Writer?  I've never come across this term before, and how does it
work?

--
Best wishes

Claire Wood

Re: Ch15 Writer Guide - Forms

Clayton-24
On 02/23/10 12:39, Claire Wood wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> Can anyone tell me please what a "spinner" is in relation to creating forms
> using Writer?  I've never come across this term before, and how does it
> work?

It's a funny name software developers have given to one of the common
GUI elements.  Generally it's a box with some string value shown that
you can change by clicking up/down arrows on the right hand side of the
element.

There is a nice simple example here:
http://scripteka.com/script/spinner-control-gui

and some documentation on them (with examples) here:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/spinner.html

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       [hidden email]
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead

Re: Ch15 Writer Guide - Forms

Dan Lewis
Claire Wood wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> Can anyone tell me please what a "spinner" is in relation to creating forms
> using Writer?  I've never come across this term before, and how does it
> work?

      The "spinner" is a spin button. When applied to the field of a
control, it is the combination up and down arrow on the right side of
the field. Clicking the up arrow increases the field's value while
clicking the down arrow decreases the field's value. It can only be used
with numerical or date fields. In a numerical field, the change in value
is done in units. In a date field using MM/DD/YY or DD/MM/YY formats,
the change in value can be done in any of these: month, day, or year.
You must first click the MM DD or YY part of the field. (YYYY works the
same as YY.)
      You can get the same effect in a field if you click the field to
select it and then use the keyboard's up and down arrows.
      I have used the spin button in the forms of a database. When a
form is created using Writer, it is created basically the same as a
database form is created in Design View using Base.

Dan