Change from word to open office

pat hanford
I have open office and use it often, almost daily. Had to download ms word for a work project. It seems word has abducted my documents from open office. I am continuing my work with word but hate the slowness. I want to convert everything back to open office and remove word. Worried I will lose my work. What can I do?
Thanks

PH

Re: Change from word to open office

Glen Kohler
PH—

What OS are you using?

On the Mac you can define the application that opens a given class of files, such as .doc suffixes. I think Windows has a similar function, somewhere.

Regards,

Glen

On Jan 21, 2018, at 9:01 AM, pat hanford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have open office and use it often, almost daily. Had to download ms word for a work project. It seems word has abducted my documents from open office. I am continuing my work with word but hate the slowness. I want to convert everything back to open office and remove word. Worried I will lose my work. What can I do?
> Thanks
>
> PH

Re: Change from word to open office

Glen Kohler
PH—

If you have a Mac:

Control-click on the file icon

Hover the cursor over ‘Open With’

Press Option: ‘Open With’ changes to ‘Always Open With’

Click on an application from the list.

;)

Glen

On Jan 21, 2018, at 9:01 AM, pat hanford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have open office and use it often, almost daily. Had to download ms word for a work project. It seems word has abducted my documents from open office. I am continuing my work with word but hate the slowness. I want to convert everything back to open office and remove word. Worried I will lose my work. What can I do?
> Thanks
>
> PH

Re: Change from word to open office

Howard Blum
On a Mac you highlight the file, do Command and I and then you select the
option for which app to open the file.

On Jan 21, 2018 4:05 PM, "Glen Kohler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

PH—

If you have a Mac:

Control-click on the file icon

Hover the cursor over ‘Open With’

Press Option: ‘Open With’ changes to ‘Always Open With’

Click on an application from the list.

;)

Glen

On Jan 21, 2018, at 9:01 AM, pat hanford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have open office and use it often, almost daily. Had to download ms
word for a work project. It seems word has abducted my documents from open
office. I am continuing my work with word but hate the slowness. I want to
convert everything back to open office and remove word. Worried I will lose
my work. What can I do?
> Thanks
>
> PH

Fwd: Re: Change from word to open office

Dave Barton

Hi Pat,

You are not subscribed to this mailing list, which means you might not have seen answers to your question.

In addition to Glen & Howard's answers (see below), be assured you will not lose any of your work just because you tell your operating system which program you wish to use to open your files. However, as a measure of safety it is always good policy to make backup copies of your work, in fact Apache OpenOffice provides a way of doing this automatically. For information about this feature see the attached PDF document.

Regards
Dave

On a Mac you highlight the file, do Command and I and then you select the
option for which app to open the file.

On Jan 21, 2018 4:05 PM, "Glen Kohler" [hidden email] wrote:

PH—

If you have a Mac:

Control-click on the file icon

Hover the cursor over ‘Open With’

Press Option: ‘Open With’ changes to ‘Always Open With’

Click on an application from the list.

;)

Glen

On Jan 21, 2018, at 9:01 AM, pat hanford [hidden email] wrote:

> I have open office and use it often, almost daily. Had to download ms
word for a work project. It seems word has abducted my documents from open
office. I am continuing my work with word but hate the slowness. I want to
convert everything back to open office and remove word. Worried I will lose
my work. What can I do?
> Thanks
>
> PH

On a Mac you highlight the file, do Command and I and then you select the
option for which app to open the file.

On Jan 21, 2018 4:05 PM, "Glen Kohler" [hidden email] wrote:

PH—

If you have a Mac:

Control-click on the file icon

Hover the cursor over ‘Open With’

Press Option: ‘Open With’ changes to ‘Always Open With’

Click on an application from the list.

;)

Glen

On Jan 21, 2018, at 9:01 AM, pat hanford [hidden email] wrote:

> I have open office and use it often, almost daily. Had to download ms
word for a work project. It seems word has abducted my documents from open
office. I am continuing my work with word but hate the slowness. I want to
convert everything back to open office and remove word. Worried I will lose
my work. What can I do?
> Thanks
>
> PH

On a Mac you highlight the file, do Command and I and then you select the
option for which app to open the file.

On Jan 21, 2018 4:05 PM, "Glen Kohler" [hidden email] wrote:

PH—

If you have a Mac:

Control-click on the file icon

Hover the cursor over ‘Open With’

Press Option: ‘Open With’ changes to ‘Always Open With’

Click on an application from the list.

;)

Glen

On Jan 21, 2018, at 9:01 AM, pat hanford [hidden email] wrote:

> I have open office and use it often, almost daily. Had to download ms
word for a work project. It seems word has abducted my documents from open
office. I am continuing my work with word but hate the slowness. I want to
convert everything back to open office and remove word. Worried I will lose
my work. What can I do?
> Thanks
>
> PH

Re: Fwd: Re: Change from word to open office

Dave Barton
Apologies for duplicates. First 2 sending attempts reported Apache relay
timed out.

Dave