Chromebook version

Grob Alicious
Do you have a version of Open Office that works on the Google Chromebook?

Re: Chromebook version

Simon Phipps-4
I am a ChromeBook user and have found it easy to install the LibreOffice
suite (which is based on OpenOffice.org) into the Linux system. I use it
all the time and find it works well for me, including integration into the
Launcher. To install it do this:

   1. Activate the Linux subsystem on your ChromeBook, by going to the
   system settings and selecting Linux (beta). This will take some time to
   complete, maybe a few minutes, as your Chromebook has to download a new
   module containing a ChromeOS build of Debian Buster Linux.
   2. From the Launcher, start the Terminal app (you can find it easily if
   you start typing "terminal" in the search box).
   3. In Terminal, make sure your new Linux subsystem is up to date by
   typing:
      sudo apt update
   and then
      sudo apt upgrade
   4. Now install the office suite by typing
      sudo apt install libreoffice
   This will take a considerable time to complete because the suite is
   large and has many dependencies, so wait until it does - on my machine it
   took about 10 minutes.
   5. Finally install an extra package so the ChromeBook integration works
   properly by typing
      sudo apt install libreoffice-gnome

You should now have the software installed on your Chromebook, and it
should auto-start to open any ODF files. However, be aware it can only open
files in the new Linux folder on your local system (under "My files" in the
Files app) so any files from Google Drive or elsewhere will need to be
moved there before they can be edited.

This all used to be much more complicated but has become straightforward in
recent builds. Hope that helps!

Simon