Citeproc's Interaction with Writer

David Wilson-7

I initially envisaged Citeproc interacting with Writer each time a user added
a citation. That is - A user adds a new reference, Writer requests Citeproc
to return the Initial Citation String for that reference. The user adds a
second citation tothe document and Write requests Citeproc to return the
Subsequent Citation String for that reference. etc.

However Citeproc's interaction with Writer can greatly simplified if Citeproc
is only called when a new reference is added to the document, the
Bibliography is generated or the style is changed.

Each reference will have its data stored in the biblio-data.xml file in the
save package. I propose that when a reference is added, Citeproc be called to
generate the full range of formatted Citation text strings, in the selected
style, for that reference, ie -

* In-text citation
* Footnote initial citation
* Footnote subsequent citation
* Endnote initial citation
* Endnote subsequent citation
* Ibid or 'op cite'  text

And that these are then saved in the biblio-data.xml file in with each
reference item.

When a user adds a citations one of these stored references Writer only needs
to pick the appropriate Citation text from the file.

When the user changes the document style, Citeproc would be called to
regenerate all the citation strings in one pass, then the standard update
fields function would update the citation text strings in the document by
picking them up again from the biblio-data.xml file.

The repeated citation to the same reference, needing  the 'Ibid or 'op cite' '
text would be detected by Writer.

Bibliography / reference table generation would be be done by passing the list
of citation IDs to  Citeproc and returning the generated text.

This approach depends upon there being any a small range of pre-defined
citation types.

Does this sound feasible ?

David

Re: Citeproc's Interaction with Writer

Bruce D'Arcus
On 4/21/06, David Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does this sound feasible ?

I'm really exhauasted, so may just be a bit braindead, but what
problem would we be solving with tihs approach? E.g. why is it so
complicated to just have the formatting continuously regenerated?

Bruce

On Saturday 22 April 2006 9:17 am, you wrote:
> On 4/21/06, David Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Does this sound feasible ?
>
> I'm really exhauasted, so may just be a bit braindead, but what
> problem would we be solving with tihs approach? E.g. why is it so
> complicated to just have the formatting continuously regenerated?
>
> Bruce
My main motivation for suggesting the idea was that seemed simpler to me. I
saw two possible benefits -

It would remove Citproc from the basic processing flow of text rendering,
so there would be saving in processing time and, hence screen update time
after a change,  but how significant this would be I do not know. The worst
case would be a large document where you move a block of text from the back
to front of the document and several hundred subsequent  and initial
references needed to be regenerated.

It would isolate the Writer text rendering from Citproc which would make it
easier and much safer to play with Citproc prototyping and to plug in
alternative formating engines, as there would be a simpler interaction with
Writer, as opposed to a dynamic situation of needing to call the formating
engine regenerate a citation in order complete page rendering.

The main difference is that under the initial scheme Citproc is called  -

*on the insertion of each citation
*When a citation is moved when the move changes it from initial and subsequent
positions.
* when the style is changed.
* To generate the Reference Table

Under the proposed scheme Citeproc is called

* on the loading of a reference, probably on the insertion of the first
citation to that reference.

On Apr 22, 2006, at 7:38 PM, David Wilson wrote:

> My main motivation for suggesting the idea was that seemed simpler to
> me. I
> saw two possible benefits -

That makes sense. I think whether we were to do or not would probably
depend on details that we may only know once we get farther along (e.g.
someone starts building on CPH's work). But we should certainly keep it
as an option.

Bruce