Cms webside

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello Andrew,
Hello Greg,

I read on commons that you want to switch of the old cms in a view weeks.
Is AOO part of the plan? Or are we not affected?

Just wondering. And I have strong doubts we can move 1.8 GB of content in a few weeks.

All the best
Peter

Re: Cms webside

Andrew Wetmore
Hi, Peter:

I used "a few weeks" in my opening email to each of the 45 or so projects
still on the old CMS. We hope to help all of them migrate before the end of
2020, but I felt if I said that, then most groups would wait until maybe
November before starting to think about the migration. Ecah migration will
require Infra participation, so my hope is that we can move projects a few
at a time starting NOW, rather than having a big traffic jam at the end of
the year.

I speak under correction, but I presume that AOO would be as much affected
as any other project. The server hosting the CMS is twelve years old and we
really need to move everybody onto more robust systems.

Andrew

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--
Andrew Wetmore
Technical Writer-Editor
*Apache Software Foundation*

Re: Cms webside

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

I have created INFRA-20636 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20636>: Migrate OpenOffice Websites From CMS

We had discussions a few weeks ago about which method. I am not going to decide on the new tool until I’ve made progress on my local environment.

I currently like the idea of using JBake because (a) I used it on the incubator site and (b) we can use Groovy in building the templates. I know we have some developers with Groovy skills so that makes sense to me.

The current openoffice.org uses Server Side Includes to handle branding and language that should continue.

Builds will likely be handled via Jenkins on the new ci-builds.apache.org.

Regards,
Dave

> On Aug 4, 2020, at 7:35 AM, Andrew Wetmore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, Peter:
>
> I used "a few weeks" in my opening email to each of the 45 or so projects
> still on the old CMS. We hope to help all of them migrate before the end of
> 2020, but I felt if I said that, then most groups would wait until maybe
> November before starting to think about the migration. Ecah migration will
> require Infra participation, so my hope is that we can move projects a few
> at a time starting NOW, rather than having a big traffic jam at the end of
> the year.
>
> I speak under correction, but I presume that AOO would be as much affected
> as any other project. The server hosting the CMS is twelve years old and we
> really need to move everybody onto more robust systems.
>
> Andrew

> Virus-free.
>
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:21 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Andrew,
>> Hello Greg,
>>
>> I read on commons that you want to switch of the old cms in a view weeks.
>> Is AOO part of the plan? Or are we not affected?
>>
>> Just wondering. And I have strong doubts we can move 1.8 GB of content in
>> a few weeks.
>>
>> All the best
>> Peter
>

> --
> Andrew Wetmore
> Technical Writer-Editor
> Infra
> *Apache Software Foundation*

Re: Cms webside

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi Dave,

Which time frame do you think the old Cms needs to be alive?
Any Rough Idea?

All the best
Peter

Am 4. August 2020 20:44:08 MESZ schrieb Dave Fisher <[hidden email]>:

>Hi -
>
>I have created INFRA-20636
><https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20636>: Migrate OpenOffice
>Websites From CMS
>
>We had discussions a few weeks ago about which method. I am not going
>to decide on the new tool until I’ve made progress on my local
>environment.
>
>I currently like the idea of using JBake because (a) I used it on the
>incubator site and (b) we can use Groovy in building the templates. I
>know we have some developers with Groovy skills so that makes sense to
>me.
>
>The current openoffice.org uses Server Side Includes to handle branding
>and language that should continue.
>
>Builds will likely be handled via Jenkins on the new
>ci-builds.apache.org.
>
>Regards,
>Dave
>
>> On Aug 4, 2020, at 7:35 AM, Andrew Wetmore <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Peter:
>>
>> I used "a few weeks" in my opening email to each of the 45 or so
>projects
>> still on the old CMS. We hope to help all of them migrate before the
>end of
>> 2020, but I felt if I said that, then most groups would wait until
>maybe
>> November before starting to think about the migration. Ecah migration
>will
>> require Infra participation, so my hope is that we can move projects
>a few
>> at a time starting NOW, rather than having a big traffic jam at the
>end of
>> the year.
>>
>> I speak under correction, but I presume that AOO would be as much
>affected
>> as any other project. The server hosting the CMS is twelve years old
>and we
>> really need to move everybody onto more robust systems.
>>
>> Andrew

>> Virus-free.

>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:21 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Andrew,
>>> Hello Greg,
>>>
>>> I read on commons that you want to switch of the old cms in a view
>weeks.
>>> Is AOO part of the plan? Or are we not affected?
>>>
>>> Just wondering. And I have strong doubts we can move 1.8 GB of
>content in
>>> a few weeks.
>>>
>>> All the best
>>> Peter
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Wetmore
>> Technical Writer-Editor
>> Infra
>> *Apache Software Foundation*
>> [hidden email]

Re: Cms webside

Dave Fisher-2
Hi Peter,

This has been bugging me for four years. I’m finishing a project and will have cycles.

I am going to start this week. I want to finish before Apachecon @Home.

I should be able to accommodate a new UX whenever that happens.

Regards,
Dave

> On Aug 4, 2020, at 11:53 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Which time frame do you think the old Cms needs to be alive?
> Any Rough Idea?
>
> All the best
> Peter
>
> Am 4. August 2020 20:44:08 MESZ schrieb Dave Fisher <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi -
>>
>> I have created INFRA-20636
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20636>: Migrate OpenOffice
>> Websites From CMS
>>
>> We had discussions a few weeks ago about which method. I am not going
>> to decide on the new tool until I’ve made progress on my local
>> environment.
>>
>> I currently like the idea of using JBake because (a) I used it on the
>> incubator site and (b) we can use Groovy in building the templates. I
>> know we have some developers with Groovy skills so that makes sense to
>> me.
>>
>> The current openoffice.org uses Server Side Includes to handle branding
>> and language that should continue.
>>
>> Builds will likely be handled via Jenkins on the new
>> ci-builds.apache.org.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>>> On Aug 4, 2020, at 7:35 AM, Andrew Wetmore <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, Peter:
>>>
>>> I used "a few weeks" in my opening email to each of the 45 or so
>> projects
>>> still on the old CMS. We hope to help all of them migrate before the
>> end of
>>> 2020, but I felt if I said that, then most groups would wait until
>> maybe
>>> November before starting to think about the migration. Ecah migration
>> will
>>> require Infra participation, so my hope is that we can move projects
>> a few
>>> at a time starting NOW, rather than having a big traffic jam at the
>> end of
>>> the year.
>>>
>>> I speak under correction, but I presume that AOO would be as much
>> affected
>>> as any other project. The server hosting the CMS is twelve years old
>> and we
>>> really need to move everybody onto more robust systems.
>>>
>>> Andrew

>>> Virus-free.

>>> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

>> weeks.

>> content in

>>> --
>>> Andrew Wetmore
>>> Technical Writer-Editor
>>> Infra
>>> *Apache Software Foundation*
>>> [hidden email]

Re: Cms webside

Peter Kovacs-3
OK, let's check how much we manage until ApacheCon, and then review how much time we need beyond the point.
If all goes south, we still have sufficient time to look into solutions how to deal with the shutdown at the end of this year.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Dave for allocate time now.