Collection of material for a blog post on Big Sur (was: Addition in release notes because of Big Sur )

Collection of material for a blog post on Big Sur (was: Addition in release notes because of Big Sur )

Jörg Schmidt-2

> How about we make a blog post instead?

Hello,

because I support Peter's suggestion of a blog post, I want to contribute here also practically something to it by creating this thread here with the goal that we gather here info/facts.

Anyone who knows something should please write it here in the thread. It is about the following questions:

1. what are the problems with Big Sur and AOO?

<write your info here ...>

2. Which versions (MacOS and AOO) are specifically affected?

<...>

3. What have we found out so far about the problems?

<...>

4. What do we plan to do?

<...>

greetings,
Jörg

Re: Collection of material for a blog post on Big Sur (was: Addition in release notes because of Big Sur )

Peter Kovacs-3
I don't think a FaQ Format would be the right way to write about this
issue.  I suggest something along the lines:

Dear OpenOffice Users

Thank you for taking interest into OpenOffice and your ongoing support
over the years. As of late as you have heared through various channels,
an Issue has popped up on Big Sur.

The issue affects on opening modern Microsoft Office Document formats
(files that end on docx, xlsx, etc.), which causes openoffice to crash
on Mac OSX Big Sur. Affected, as far as we know, are all OpenOffice
versions.

There is no workaround within OpenOffice at this point, and we will
address this issue in a new patch 4.1.9, which will be released to all
platforms, despite

the main reason is the Issue on Mac. We will see to it that we include
some other minor development to the patch, so everyone has something
from this unfortunate incident. But we know that this is a pressing
issue to our users,

So expect the patch soon.

In Order to identify the issue we had first a closer look at our build
in order to exclude any Issues with a wrong release. Next we updated the
build to a newer SDK Issue to exclude

an Issue in our support structures. After this we figured that our non
production ready but upcoming Version 4.2.0 is not affected by this
Issue. In an effort over Christmas a comparison took place between the
4.2.0 and 4.1.8 Versions to loacate potential Issues.

It seems we have found the code change that is solving the crash on Mac.
However we are testing the Solution at this point. If you want to join
the test riage of this fix, drop a mail in English to
[hidden email]. The more environments we can test the better
we can react on Issues.

The Project thanks Jim Jagelski for his endless effort during Christmas
time, and the French Forum users [...] who did support the development
by their dedicated testing efforts.

All the best and stay healthy

On 27.12.20 14:03, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

>> How about we make a blog post instead?
>
> Hello,
>
> because I support Peter's suggestion of a blog post, I want to contribute here also practically something to it by creating this thread here with the goal that we gather here info/facts.
>
> Anyone who knows something should please write it here in the thread. It is about the following questions:
>
> 1. what are the problems with Big Sur and AOO?
>
> <write your info here ...>
>

> 2. Which versions (MacOS and AOO) are specifically affected?
>
> <...>
>

> 3. What have we found out so far about the problems?
>
> <...>
>

> 4. What do we plan to do?
>
> <...>
>

> greetings,
> Jörg

RE: Collection of material for a blog post on Big Sur (was: Addition in release notes because of Big Sur )

Jörg Schmidt-2

That, Peter, I also do not think!

My formulations were not an outline taken in advance, but only 4 orders that should be filled with info, as a basis, as an orientation for the actual text of the blog post.

> Dear OpenOffice Users
>
> [...]

This seems to me at first glance, a very, very good draft text.

I need some time to think about it before I finally say something about it.

On 27.12.20 15:29, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> That, Peter, I also do not think!
>
> My formulations were not an outline taken in advance, but only 4 orders that should be filled with info, as a basis, as an orientation for the actual text of the blog post.

sure, I just thought if we follwo this way, we end up with a FAQ :)

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html