Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Damjan Jovanovic
Hi

In revision 1805579 I committed a large patch to AOO, that implements a
whole new database connector, for the PostgreSQL database.

It's the real deal, a new UNO component, 57 files, 9607 lines of code,
about 4 months in the pipeline. It's 100% in Java, and while developing it
I've also written a lot of SDBCX helper classes, loosely based on the C++
ones we already have, which will make writing future Java-based database
drivers much easier :).

Ok so it's still in its early alpha stages, maybe 50% finished, and will
need considerable further development, so definitely not recommended for
production use yet, but it already supports some things that are broken in
LibreOffice's PostgreSQL driver ;).

I would have preferred to wait until it was more complete before
committing, but I thought now is a good time, as there is talk of project
inactivity, help from others would be welcome, and "release early, release
often" is the open-source way.

It's already integrated into the build, but if you want to contribute to
development, it could not be easier: the Ant project opens in Eclipse (open
main/connectivity/java/sdbc_postgresql/build.xml using "Java Project from
Existing Ant Buildfile"), it builds in 2 seconds, and can be easily
debugged (in AOO, Tools -> Options, Java, Parameters, add:
"-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8000"
and attach the remote debugger from Eclipse).

To use it, you need the PostgreSQL JDBC JAR file in your classpath (we
should probably ship it to users instead of requiring them to download and
configure it in their AOO Tools -> Options, Java, Class Path). In the
database wizard, choose "Connect to an existing database" and select
"PostgreSQL". At present you have to enter database URLs in the broken form
of "://127.0.0.1/catalog". Database queries work well with a variety of
data types, but some DDL features are missing/broken, eg. you can't rename
tables, indexes can't be deleted, views/users/groups need implementing,
"Refresh tables" gives you a blank screen. The code also needs to be
audited and cleaned up a lot (locking, UNO lifecycle, null strings (which
are banned in UNO)), and the relevant GUI dialogs and wizards need adding
(under main/dbaccess).

Note that you need Java >= 7.

Anyway, development continues. We have a few more database drivers that
need to be developed, such as the Thunderbird address book driver and the
LDAP driver which we lost when Mozilla was removed from the build.

Regards
Damjan

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

FR web forum
>In revision 1805579 I committed a large patch to AOO, that implements a
>whole new database connector, for the PostgreSQL database.

Thanks Damjan for this new feature.
I see that you have commited it in future 4.2.0.
Did you have some links for this build to testing?

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Matthias Seidel

Hi Damian,

That sounds good!

Unfortunately your commit seems to break the build on our buildbot(Win10 64bit/Java 8):
https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/win/log/wntmsci12.pro.build.html

---
1 module(s):
	apache-commons
need(s) to be rebuilt

Reason(s):

ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making /cygdrive/e/slave14/aoo-win7/build/main/apache-commons/java/lang

When you have fixed the errors in that module you can resume the build by running:

	build --from apache-commons

---
dmake:  Error: -- `../../wntmsci12.pro/misc/4c8c505cc3cba4c467c479e3e0f09ba4-commons-lang3-3.3-src.unpack' not found, and can't be made
---
Regards, Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Matthias Seidel

Hi Damian,

Maybe it is because we build without Wiki publisher. (What is it good for? I have never seen a working Wiki publisher in the past years...)

I have now enabled it (--enable-wiki-publisher), let us wait for a new build...

Regards, Matthias

[...]

My module uses Apache Commons Lang. Maybe I didn't patch configure.ac
properly, or maybe you have to run autoconf on that buildbot before
./configure? I can't check for the next few days.

On Monday, August 21, 2017, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> of "://127.0.0.1/catalog". Database queries work well with a variety of
> data types, but some DDL features are missing/broken, eg. you can't rename
> tables, indexes can't be deleted, views/users/groups need implementing,
> "Refresh tables" gives you a blank screen. The code also needs to be
> audited and cleaned up a lot (locking, UNO lifecycle, null strings (which
> are banned in UNO)), and the relevant GUI dialogs and wizards need adding
> (under main/dbaccess).
>
> Note that you need Java >= 7.
>
> Anyway, development continues. We have a few more database drivers that
> need to be developed, such as the Thunderbird address book driver and the
> LDAP driver which we lost when Mozilla was removed from the build.
>
> Regards
> Damjan

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Hi Damjan,

I think the "problem" is in "external_deps.lst":

---
if (SOLAR_JAVA==TRUE && ENABLE_MEDIAWIKI==YES)
    MD5 = 4c8c505cc3cba4c467c479e3e0f09ba4
    name = commons-lang3-3.3-src.tar.gz
    URL1 = http://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/lang/source/$(name)
    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)
---

The Windows build is running at the moment. Looks good so far!

If it is successful Rev. 1805579 can be found here:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/devbuilds.html

Matthias

Am 21.08.2017 um 17:09 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:

> [...]
>> data types, but some DDL features are missing/broken, eg. you can't rename
>> tables, indexes can't be deleted, views/users/groups need implementing,
>> "Refresh tables" gives you a blank screen. The code also needs to be
>> audited and cleaned up a lot (locking, UNO lifecycle, null strings (which
>> are banned in UNO)), and the relevant GUI dialogs and wizards need adding
>> (under main/dbaccess).
>>
>> Note that you need Java >= 7.
>>
>> Anyway, development continues. We have a few more database drivers that
>> need to be developed, such as the Thunderbird address book driver and the
>> LDAP driver which we lost when Mozilla was removed from the build.
>>
>> Regards
>> Damjan

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Yes. Well done on finding it. You can make the dependency unconditional,
just like I've done with sdbc_postgres itself.

wrote:

> [...]
> rename
> >> tables, indexes can't be deleted, views/users/groups need implementing,
> >> "Refresh tables" gives you a blank screen. The code also needs to be
> >> audited and cleaned up a lot (locking, UNO lifecycle, null strings
> (which
> >> are banned in UNO)), and the relevant GUI dialogs and wizards need
> adding
> >> (under main/dbaccess).
> >>
> >> Note that you need Java >= 7.
> >>
> >> Anyway, development continues. We have a few more database drivers that
> >> need to be developed, such as the Thunderbird address book driver and
> the
> >> LDAP driver which we lost when Mozilla was removed from the build.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Damjan

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Marcus (OOo)
> That sounds good!

thank you very much for bringing something new into OpenOffice. The
database part needs some improvement, so a new database driver is
fitting good into that. :-)

I hope that the build problems can be solved quick, so that testing and
further improvements can be done soon.

Marcus

Am 22.08.2017 um 00:02 schrieb Marcus:
>> That sounds good!
>
> thank you very much for bringing something new into OpenOffice. The
> database part needs some improvement, so a new database driver is
> fitting good into that. :-)
>
> I hope that the build problems can be solved quick, so that testing
> and further improvements can be done soon.

Builds for Windows and Linux64 should be available tomorrow... ;-)

Matthias

> Marcus
>

>> Am 20.08.2017 um 21:34 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> In revision 1805579 I committed a large patch to AOO, that implements a
>>> whole new database connector, for the PostgreSQL database.
>>>
>>> [...]

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Matthias Seidel
Windows build was successful!

Linux bot seems to be missing Ant, I have to write to Infra...

Am 21.08.2017 um 19:14 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
> Yes. Well done on finding it. You can make the dependency unconditional,
> just like I've done with sdbc_postgres itself.

As a workaround the Windows buildbot builds now with
"--enable-wiki-publisher"

But the Linux64 bot breaks even with that switch. Could you please have
a look at:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/linux64/main/connectivity/unxlngx6.pro/misc/logs/java.sdbc_postgresql.txt

> On Monday, August 21, 2017, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Damjan,
>>
>> I think the "problem" is in "external_deps.lst":
>>
>> ---
>> if (SOLAR_JAVA==TRUE && ENABLE_MEDIAWIKI==YES)
>>     MD5 = 4c8c505cc3cba4c467c479e3e0f09ba4
>>     name = commons-lang3-3.3-src.tar.gz
>>     URL1 = http://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/lang/source/$(name)
>>     URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)
>> ---
>>
>> The Windows build is running at the moment. Looks good so far!
>>
>> If it is successful Rev. 1805579 can be found here:
>> https://www.openoffice.org/download/devbuilds.html
>>
>> Matthias
>>

>> Am 21.08.2017 um 17:09 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>>> My module uses Apache Commons Lang. Maybe I didn't patch configure.ac
>>> properly, or maybe you have to run autoconf on that buildbot before
>>> ./configure? I can't check for the next few days.
>>>
>>> On Monday, August 21, 2017, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]
>> <javascript:;>>

>> for?

>> build/main/apache-commons/java/lang
>> by running:

>> 4c8c505cc3cba4c467c479e3e0f09ba4-commons-lang3-3.3-src.unpack' not found,
>> and can't be made

>> it
>> C++

>> in

>> project
>> release

>> (open
>> from

>> and
>> form
>> rename
>> (which
>> adding

>> the

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Damjan Jovanovic
The toUnsignedXxx() methods are from Java 8 :-/. Maybe I can rewrite that
part of the code to use 7.

Am 23.08.2017 um 02:41 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
> The toUnsignedXxx() methods are from Java 8 :-/. Maybe I can rewrite that
> part of the code to use 7.

I personally would go with Java 8 for 4.2.0 (trunk)... But that needs to
be discussed.

Indeed, the buildbot has Java 7 installed
"--with-jdk-home="/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64" \"
I will ask Infra to (additionally) install Java 8 for Linux64.

> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Matthias Seidel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 21.08.2017 um 19:14 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>>> Yes. Well done on finding it. You can make the dependency unconditional,
>>> just like I've done with sdbc_postgres itself.
>> As a workaround the Windows buildbot builds now with
>> "--enable-wiki-publisher"
>>
>> But the Linux64 bot breaks even with that switch. Could you please have
>> a look at:
>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/
>> linux64/main/connectivity/unxlngx6.pro/misc/logs/java.sdbc_postgresql.txt

>> [hidden email]

>> buildbot(Win10

>> found,

>> developing
>> database

>> will
>> for
>> broken

>> of
>> implementing,

>> that

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Matthias Seidel
It seems that Java 8 (Oracle) was already installed on Linux64 buildbot.
I changed the configuration and forced a new build.

Additionally I added French and Italian language to our builds for trunk.

Matthias

> Am 23.08.2017 um 02:41 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>> The toUnsignedXxx() methods are from Java 8 :-/. Maybe I can rewrite that
>> part of the code to use 7.
> I personally would go with Java 8 for 4.2.0 (trunk)... But that needs to
> be discussed.
>
> Indeed, the buildbot has Java 7 installed
> "--with-jdk-home="/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64" \"
> I will ask Infra to (additionally) install Java 8 for Linux64.
>
>> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Matthias Seidel <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> As a workaround the Windows buildbot builds now with
>>> "--enable-wiki-publisher"
>>>
>>> But the Linux64 bot breaks even with that switch. Could you please have
>>> a look at:
>>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/
>>> linux64/main/connectivity/unxlngx6.pro/misc/logs/java.sdbc_postgresql.txt

>>> [hidden email]

>>> buildbot(Win10

>>> found,

>>> developing
>>> database

>>> will
>>> for
>>> broken

>>> of
>>> implementing,

>>> that

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Committed: new database driver for PostgreSQL, SDBCX API for Java

Damjan Jovanovic
I've patched external_deps.lst, and as of revision 1805933, AOO should
build even without --enable-wiki-publisher.

Am 23.08.2017 um 17:58 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
> I've patched external_deps.lst, and as of revision 1805933, AOO should
> build even without --enable-wiki-publisher.

Confirmed!