Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

1234

Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Raphael Bircher-3
Hi at all

If we compare AOO to day with the good old OpenOffice.org Project in 2006,
we have now a tiny community. Well, we will be able to maintain the
project, make some bugfix and maybe some features too. But we will never
track down the work who is in our issue tracker.

But surprisingly we have still a very height download number. If you read
comments on social media you see, that many are really happy with the
programm. The problem is, tat this user simply are looked out from the
product development. The Enduser can only watch and pray.

While most bigger Apache Projects has a well working business model
behind, OpenOffice has nothing. In fact we never cared about it. I believe
it's rely time to change this. There are maybe at the moment no big
investors, but maybe more individuals who love the idea.

I know, we have to stick within the Apache rules, but this should be
possible. So let's collect ideas here.

Regards, Raphael

--
Mein Blog: https://raphaelbircher.blogspot.ch

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Peter Kovacs
We see in Star citizen how mighty crowd can be.

Maybe a platform would be great where people can pledge money for something
they need.
If the needed budget is reached, payed developers implement it.
Or we could do it as a bonus system. You pledge money on a bug/enhancement,
if the bug gets included in the release the developers get a payout.

This is just an idea. I am not sure if we can do business within the ASF or
if we have to found a 3rd party entity for this.
If we have to go 3rd party I prefer a cooperative society as a legal form.
https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/social-economy/cooperatives/european-cooperative-society_de

All the best
Peter

Raphael Bircher <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 14. Jan. 2017,
06:32:

> Hi at all
>
> If we compare AOO to day with the good old OpenOffice.org Project in 2006,
> we have now a tiny community. Well, we will be able to maintain the
> project, make some bugfix and maybe some features too. But we will never
> track down the work who is in our issue tracker.
>
> But surprisingly we have still a very height download number. If you read
> comments on social media you see, that many are really happy with the
> programm. The problem is, tat this user simply are looked out from the
> product development. The Enduser can only watch and pray.
>
> While most bigger Apache Projects has a well working business model
> behind, OpenOffice has nothing. In fact we never cared about it. I believe
> it's rely time to change this. There are maybe at the moment no big
> investors, but maybe more individuals who love the idea.
>
> I know, we have to stick within the Apache rules, but this should be
> possible. So let's collect ideas here.
>
> Regards, Raphael
>
> --
> Mein Blog: https://raphaelbircher.blogspot.ch

Disclaimer: Diese Nachricht stammt aus einem Google Account. Ihre Antwort
wird in der Google Cloud Gespeichert und durch Google Algorythmen zwecks
werbeanaöysen gescannt. Es ist derzeit nicht auszuschließen das ihre
Nachricht auch durch einen NSA Mitarbeiter geprüft wird. Durch
kommunikation mit diesen Account stimmen Sie zu das ihre Mail, ihre
Kontaktdaten und die Termine die Sie mit mir vereinbaren online zu Google
konditionen in der Googlecloud gespeichert wird. Sollten sie dies nicht
wünschen kontaktieren sie mich bitte Umgehend um z.B. alternativen zu
verhandeln.

Am .01.2017, 09:24 Uhr, schrieb Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]>:

> We see in Star citizen how mighty crowd can be.
>
> Maybe a platform would be great where people can pledge money for
> something
> they need.
> If the needed budget is reached, payed developers implement it.
> Or we could do it as a bonus system. You pledge money on a
> bug/enhancement,
> if the bug gets included in the release the developers get a payout.

I will ask, on community, how other Apache projects deal with this
problem. I have some similar things in mind.

> This is just an idea. I am not sure if we can do business within the ASF
> or
> if we have to found a 3rd party entity for this.

It definitely need a external instance.

--
Mein Blog: https://raphaelbircher.blogspot.ch

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Jörg Schmidt-2

> From: Peter Kovacs [mailto:[hidden email]]

> We see in Star citizen how mighty crowd can be.
>
> Maybe a platform would be great where people can pledge money
> for something
> they need.
> If the needed budget is reached, payed developers implement it.
> Or we could do it as a bonus system. You pledge money on a
> bug/enhancement,
> if the bug gets included in the release the developers get a payout.

> This is just an idea. I am not sure if we can do business
> within the ASF or
> if we have to found a 3rd party entity for this.
> If we have to go 3rd party I prefer a cooperative society as
> a legal form.
> https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/social-economy/cooperative
> s/european-cooperative-society_de

You are basically right, but let me give the following information.

Team OpenOffice was such a project. The participants were mainly experienced OpenOffice developers from SUN Microsystems.

See:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120107200702/http://teamopenoffice.org/de/the-team-de.html

But Apache made a front against this project and so it was no chance. The only short-term result was "White Label Office", see for example:
http://www.chip.de/downloads/White-Label-Office_53492033.html

I do not want to criticize one-sidedly, here is a different view:
http://www.golem.de/1112/88663.html

But Apache is the larger party and it would be the task of Apache to recognize opportunities and bundle forces.

This is unfortunately the truth and it is a central problem for OpenOffice.

btw:
A project such as "Team OpenOffice" did not necessarily need a commercial orientation (eg in Germany a gGmbH https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemeinn%C3%BCtzige_GmbH one possibility), but such a project needs the recognition of Apache.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Jörg Schmidt-2
> From: Raphael Bircher [mailto:[hidden email]]

> > This is just an idea. I am not sure if we can do business
> within the ASF
> > or
> > if we have to found a 3rd party entity for this.
>
> It definitely need a external instance.

In this case, it is inappropriate to discuss the subject here.

I personally think the topic belongs here and an external instance does not help
us because we have to push "OpenOffice" and not a product that is only based on
OpenOffice. The rights to "OpenOffice", however, holds Apache.

Greetings
Jörg

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Alex Suk
No chance as long as Microsoft is a platinum sponsor of Apache.
The best thing that can happen to wonderful OpenOffice is to ditch Apache
for an independent commercial company.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 7:32 AM, Raphael Bircher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi at all
>
> If we compare AOO to day with the good old OpenOffice.org Project in 2006,
> we have now a tiny community. Well, we will be able to maintain the
> project, make some bugfix and maybe some features too. But we will never
> track down the work who is in our issue tracker.
>
> But surprisingly we have still a very height download number. If you read
> comments on social media you see, that many are really happy with the
> programm. The problem is, tat this user simply are looked out from the
> product development. The Enduser can only watch and pray.
>
> While most bigger Apache Projects has a well working business model
> behind, OpenOffice has nothing. In fact we never cared about it. I believe
> it's rely time to change this. There are maybe at the moment no big
> investors, but maybe more individuals who love the idea.
>
> I know, we have to stick within the Apache rules, but this should be
> possible. So let's collect ideas here.
>
> Regards, Raphael
>
> --
> Mein Blog: https://raphaelbircher.blogspot.ch

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

mabdul

On 14.01.2017 11:00, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> From: Peter Kovacs [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
>> We see in Star citizen how mighty crowd can be.
>>
>> Maybe a platform would be great where people can pledge money
>> for something
>> they need.
>> If the needed budget is reached, payed developers implement it.
>> Or we could do it as a bonus system. You pledge money on a
>> bug/enhancement,
>> if the bug gets included in the release the developers get a payout.
>

>> This is just an idea. I am not sure if we can do business
>> within the ASF or
>> if we have to found a 3rd party entity for this.
>> If we have to go 3rd party I prefer a cooperative society as
>> a legal form.
>> https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/social-economy/cooperative
>> s/european-cooperative-society_de
>
> You are basically right, but let me give the following information.
>
> Team OpenOffice was such a project. The participants were mainly experienced OpenOffice developers from SUN Microsystems.
>
> See:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20120107200702/http://teamopenoffice.org/de/the-team-de.html
>
> But Apache made a front against this project and so it was no chance. The only short-term result was "White Label Office", see for example:
> http://www.chip.de/downloads/White-Label-Office_53492033.html
>
> I do not want to criticize one-sidedly, here is a different view:
> http://www.golem.de/1112/88663.html
>
> But Apache is the larger party and it would be the task of Apache to recognize opportunities and bundle forces.
>
> This is unfortunately the truth and it is a central problem for OpenOffice.
>

> btw:
> A project such as "Team OpenOffice" did not necessarily need a commercial orientation (eg in Germany a gGmbH https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemeinn%C3%BCtzige_GmbH one possibility), but such a project needs the recognition of Apache.
A bit more "neutral" information lived in the English Wikipedia (by an
article of mine) before it was converted to a redirect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=White_Label_Office&oldid=549769989

> Greetings,
> Jörg

Regards,

mabdul

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

mabdul
Hi esh,

On 14.01.2017 11:53, esh1907 wrote:
> No chance as long as Microsoft is a platinum sponsor of Apache.
> The best thing that can happen to wonderful OpenOffice is to ditch Apache
> for an independent commercial company.

Believe me: MS doesn't follow Apache OpenOffice any longer as they know
that in the next ~10 years OpenOffice cannot hurt MS. Moreover they have
switched to a subscription based model (Office365) latetly to secure
their userbase and even increase the earned money by monthly/yearly
subscription fees. ("mobile first, cloud first" is their main model now!)

mabdul

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Patricia Shanahan
We also need to split tasks out into those that primarily need
OpenOffice user skills, and those that require digging deeply into the
implementation code.

In the long term, I think I may be on the leading edge of a major future
source of open software developers - retirees.

On 1/14/2017 12:24 AM, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> [...]

> no chance. The only short-term result was "White Label
> Office", see for example:
> > http://www.chip.de/downloads/White-Label-Office_53492033.html
> >
> > I do not want to criticize one-sidedly, here is a different view:
> > http://www.golem.de/1112/88663.html
> >
> > But Apache is the larger party and it would be the task of
> Apache to recognize opportunities and bundle forces.
> >
> > This is unfortunately the truth and it is a central problem
> for OpenOffice.
> >

> > btw:
> > A project such as "Team OpenOffice" did not necessarily
> need a commercial orientation (eg in Germany a gGmbH
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemeinn%C3%BCtzige_GmbH one
> possibility), but such a project needs the recognition of Apache.
> A bit more "neutral" information lived in the English Wikipedia (by an
> article of mine) before it was converted to a redirect:

Thank you very much for this important addition.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Hagar Delest-2
Le 14/01/2017 à 11:58, mabdul a écrit :
> Believe me: MS doesn't follow Apache OpenOffice any longer as they know
> that in the next ~10 years OpenOffice cannot hurt MS. Moreover they have
> switched to a subscription based model (Office365) latetly to secure
> their userbase and even increase the earned money by monthly/yearly
> subscription fees. ("mobile first, cloud first" is their main model now!)
+1.
I think that the situation was different at the beginning (2001-2010). OOo moved the lines by supporting ODF. It offered users an alternative to vendor lock-in policy. MS Office was also more expansive in those days I think.

Now it's rather different. MS Office (not 365) is not that expansive. The price of a low cost smartphone. And let's face it, the MS Office features are way ahead of AOO. I use both at work but AOO for a limited part of my work. Calc is definitively not viable for work in my case, charting in Excel is really good. Even the Calc user interface is not... user friendly.

So basically, what is the user base? Who should AOO focus on? For a company I doubt the price of MS Office is really a problem (they negotiate fees for sure). Since documents are mostly shared in .docx/.xlsx formats, why bother with applications like AOO/LO that are not fully compatible? Is there any big player willing to invest in something to compete with MS Office to avoid buying it? Doesn't seem very likely.

So AOO is left with households, perhaps very very small companies and education sector. I think that AOO should be the simple choice for schools. It should offer the peace of mind with no license issue, no need of a package full of features not really needed but sold efficiently by MS. No need of permanent internet access, just install it locally.
It should say: here is a rock solid application that can prepare pupils/student to office software. It is not MS Office but there are enough similarities to make it a good tool to learn. Like your driving license: you learn on a car but you can buy something (very) different. You just have to adapt.
If there is something to make clear, it is the effort needed to adapt from AOO to MS Office. I'm not saying it should be a clone but just make the transition as smooth as possible, user point of view.

As long as there is no consensus on the user base or on the purpose of AOO, it will be difficult to set priorities.
I think that LO success is due to the new features because it's a developer oriented project: it's fun, like a big sandbox. But for users, it may be different (for example, we see in the forum a high number of topics about the SAXParse error due to bad .docx export in LO).
Note: even if it takes time to get the direction, any effort to eliminate the major bugs will improve AOO reputation (for example: spell check problem with the user profile and the file content replaced with ####). It should remain the default target of developers.

Another idea: since users like to customize the appearance of their applications, providing a way to easily edit/change the user interface (buttons) could bring back some interest. Like themes in FF/TB.

Hagar
PS: can't bear teachers asking my kids to provide homeworks in .docx/.xlsx.

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Guy Waterval
Hi all,

> Le 14/01/2017 à 11:58, mabdul a écrit :
>
>> Believe me: MS doesn't follow Apache OpenOffice any longer as they know
>> that in the next ~10 years OpenOffice cannot hurt MS. Moreover they have
>> switched to a subscription based model (Office365) latetly to secure
>> their userbase and even increase the earned money by monthly/yearly
>> subscription fees. ("mobile first, cloud first" is their main model now!)
>>
> +1.
>
> [...]

> So AOO is left with households, perhaps very very small companies and
> education sector. I think that AOO should be the simple choice for schools.
> It should offer the peace of mind with no license issue, no need of a
> package full of features not really needed but sold efficiently by MS. No
> need of permanent internet access, just install it locally.
> It should say: here is a rock solid application that can prepare
> pupils/student to office software. It is not MS Office but there are enough
> similarities to make it a good tool to learn. Like your driving license:
> you learn on a car but you can buy something (very) different. You just
> have to adapt.
> If there is something to make clear, it is the effort needed to adapt from
> AOO to MS Office. I'm not saying it should be a clone but just make the
> transition as smooth as possible, user point of view.

+1

I think AOO should more promote its modularity and therefore promote the
development/maintain of a a set of important extensions which bring really
important functionnalities, such as, for example : Organon, Anaphraseus
(CAT Tool), extensions to write chemical formulas, administrativ tools,
etc. There is perhaps here an opportunity to mark its difference with MS
Office : a basis (AOO) + important new functions in the form of  stable
extensions. Perhaps to go more in the same direction as EuroOffice. There
are already a lot of extensions, but they are not always maintained or have
never reach a real professionnel level or stability. The same with Gallery
extensions for special areas : medicine, botanic, technics etc. which could
be made together through a collaboration with different universities. I
think this could make the difference, giving to AOO an "own personnality"
and therefore an own position on the market.

gw

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Mathias Röllig
Hello,

You all talking about the standalone product. It is a good point but
only a piece.
Many companies need to import MS document formats. They don't have the
choice to teach all customers to send an other document format.
So for the acceptance there is a big need to improve the import filters.
As I remember this was the most important topic before IMB left the AOO
community.
And this is also a big problem for many, many users and companies
(government, insurance, advocate, handicraft and so on), who are working
with special software which is producing files in MS document formats.
Many software uses explicit MSO to produce this files.
For this clientele mostly all features that AOO provides is enough,
mostly more as enough - BUT import of MS document format and/or using
AOO as front-end for the specialised software is missing and is the main
reason against AOO.

Regards
Mathias

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2
Hello,

there are 3 items stated:

- fixing major bugs
- improving import filters
- improving and creating new extensions

IMO all 3 points are important.

Topic one and two have to be done by core developers.

Topic three can also be done by others and in collaboration with LO people.

So IMO we have to discuss, what has to be done in these items.

And how user contributions may help us.

Kind regards
Michael

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

> From: Dr. Michael Stehmann [mailto:[hidden email]]

> there are 3 items stated:

And I have a fourth:
We should maintain the high quality standards of OO.

> - improving import filters

+1

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

jonathon-3
On 01/15/2017 02:52 PM, Mathias Röllig wrote:

> Many companies need to import MS document formats. They don't have the
> choice to teach all customers to send an other document format.

That might be the case in the United States, but in Europe, the legal
requirement is to use ODF file formats.

jonathon

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Mathias Röllig
>> Many companies need to import MS document formats. They don't have the
>> choice to teach all customers to send an other document format.
>
> That might be the case in the United States, but in Europe, the legal
> requirement is to use ODF file formats.

I can only speak for my experiences in Germany. Maybe they /should/ use
ODF – but in most cases it will simply ignored.

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Pedro Lino-2

On 15/01/2017 19:28, toki wrote:
> On 01/15/2017 02:52 PM, Mathias Röllig wrote:
>
>> Many companies need to import MS document formats. They don't have the
>> choice to teach all customers to send an other document format.
> That might be the case in the United States, but in Europe, the legal
> requirement is to use ODF file formats.

Unless the ODF file is created with MS Office, opening it in MS Office
will generate a scaring message that the document is corrupted. Thus the
only way to follow the legal rule is to use MS Office...

If MS could be legally stopped from doing this, maybe ODF could become
the de-facto standard. As it is, MS file formats are the rule and not
the exception in EU (I'm talking about official documents sent from
Brussels and also those within the Portuguese government). I have NEVER
received an official document in ODF from ANY EU country.

As long as this keeps going, there is no document freedom or freedom
from vendor lock in.

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Guy Waterval

I could involve me in Gallery extensions as I'm already active in Wikipedia
in macro/microphotography (User:Softenpoche).
As I'm not a coder, I can not help for other extensions.

gw

[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> there are 3 items stated:
>
> - fixing major bugs
> - improving import filters
> - improving and creating new extensions
>
> IMO all 3 points are important.
>
> Topic one and two have to be done by core developers.
>
> Topic three can also be done by others and in collaboration with LO people.
>
> So IMO we have to discuss, what has to be done in these items.
>
> And how user contributions may help us.
>
> Kind regards
> Michael

Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!

Peter Kovacs
Maybe the title is misleading, but this thread is about how to build a
developer team that advocates in user interest.
Shouldn't we focus on this?

For me MS has nothing to do with the conflict between ASF and Team
OpenOffice. I think the core conflict was about market names. They should
not have released their own open office, plus they have Open Office in
their name.

Also I do not believe in Forks. Our main goal should always be to release a
next AOO version.