Compatible with Windows 10 Home; Able to open & convert .docx files

Compatible with Windows 10 Home; Able to open & convert .docx files

normakline

Greetings --Is apache open office able to convert .docx files to .doc files?Is your apache open office compatible with Windows Home 10?Can apache open office convert .pdf files to .doc file?The information will help me to buy a new laptop or tablet.Thank you.  NormaSent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab®|PRO

Re: Compatible with Windows 10 Home; Able to open & convert .docx files

Alan Boba-2
Hello Norma,

#1 Is apache open office able to convert .docx files to .doc files? Yes.
Open the .docx file and save as .doc file.
NOTE: Formatting, e.g. margins, tables, and others, is not always perfectly
converted when the .docx file is opened and the same may be seen in the
saved .doc file.

#2 Can apache open office convert .pdf files to .doc file?
Not so far as I know.

For #1, I .docx files can always be read using Word online by creating a
free outlook.com account. No worries about converting the file. Also, .docx
files can have features that don't translate to the .doc format. Keeping
the file in .docx format is the way to be certain no features of the
document are lost.

For #2, there are free converters online. Microsoft Office will open .pdfs
but there are limitations with what it will do. Check here for more info
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/opening-pdfs-in-word-1d1d2acc-afa0-46ef-891d-b76bcd83d9c8

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Compatible with Windows 10 Home; Able to open & convert .docx files

normakline

ThanxSent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab®|PRO

Hello Norma,#1 Is apache open office able to convert .docx files to .doc files? Yes.Open the .docx file and save as .doc file.NOTE: Formatting, e.g. margins, tables, and others, is not always perfectlyconverted when the .docx file is opened and the same may be seen in thesaved .doc file.#2 Can apache open office convert .pdf files to .doc file?Not so far as I know.For #1, I .docx files can always be read using Word online by creating afree outlook.com account. No worries about converting the file. Also, .docxfiles can have features that don't translate to the .doc format. Keepingthe file in .docx format is the way to be certain no features of thedocument are lost.For #2, there are free converters online. Microsoft Office will open .pdfsbut there are limitations with what it will do. Check here for more infohttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/opening-pdfs-in-word-1d1d2acc-afa0-46ef-891d-b76bcd83d9c8On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:06 PM normakline <[hidden email]>wrote:>>> Greetings --Is apache open office able to convert .docx files to .doc> files?Is your apache open office compatible with Windows Home 10?Can apache> open office convert .pdf files to .doc file?The information will help me to> buy a new laptop or tablet.Thank you.  NormaSent from my Samsung Galaxy> Tab®|PRO-- Alan BobaCISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Compatible with Windows 10 Home; Able to open & convert .docx files

Gerald E Boor
In LibreOffice, you can export a PDF to make it editable.  Just
wondering if OpenOffice also does that?  Thanks!

Jerry in Michigan

On 7/22/20 3:05 PM, Alan B wrote:

> Hello Norma,
>
> #1 Is apache open office able to convert .docx files to .doc files? Yes.
> Open the .docx file and save as .doc file.
> NOTE: Formatting, e.g. margins, tables, and others, is not always perfectly
> converted when the .docx file is opened and the same may be seen in the
> saved .doc file.
>
> #2 Can apache open office convert .pdf files to .doc file?
> Not so far as I know.
>
> For #1, I .docx files can always be read using Word online by creating a
> free outlook.com account. No worries about converting the file. Also, .docx
> files can have features that don't translate to the .doc format. Keeping
> the file in .docx format is the way to be certain no features of the
> document are lost.
>
> For #2, there are free converters online. Microsoft Office will open .pdfs
> but there are limitations with what it will do. Check here for more info
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/opening-pdfs-in-word-1d1d2acc-afa0-46ef-891d-b76bcd83d9c8
>

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:06 PM normakline <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Greetings --Is apache open office able to convert .docx files to .doc
>> files?Is your apache open office compatible with Windows Home 10?Can apache
>> open office convert .pdf files to .doc file?The information will help me to
>> buy a new laptop or tablet.Thank you.  NormaSent from my Samsung Galaxy
>> Tab®|PRO

Re: Compatible with Windows 10 Home; Able to open & convert .docx files

Martin Groenescheij

> Op 23 jul. 2020 om 17:51 heeft Gerald E Boor <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> In LibreOffice, you can export a PDF to make it editable.  Just wondering if OpenOffice also does that?  Thanks!

You can export an ods or doc file as a PDF document or PDF Form.
This PDF document Is editable the appropriate application, but not with OpenOffice.

> Jerry in Michigan
>
>> On 7/22/20 3:05 PM, Alan B wrote:
>> Hello Norma,
>>
>> #1 Is apache open office able to convert .docx files to .doc files? Yes.
>> Open the .docx file and save as .doc file.
>> NOTE: Formatting, e.g. margins, tables, and others, is not always perfectly
>> converted when the .docx file is opened and the same may be seen in the
>> saved .doc file.
>>
>> #2 Can apache open office convert .pdf files to .doc file?
>> Not so far as I know.
>>
>> For #1, I .docx files can always be read using Word online by creating a
>> free outlook.com account. No worries about converting the file. Also, .docx
>> files can have features that don't translate to the .doc format. Keeping
>> the file in .docx format is the way to be certain no features of the
>> document are lost.
>>
>> For #2, there are free converters online. Microsoft Office will open .pdfs
>> but there are limitations with what it will do. Check here for more info
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/opening-pdfs-in-word-1d1d2acc-afa0-46ef-891d-b76bcd83d9c8
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:06 PM normakline <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings --Is apache open office able to convert .docx files to .doc
>>> files?Is your apache open office compatible with Windows Home 10?Can apache
>>> open office convert .pdf files to .doc file?The information will help me to
>>> buy a new laptop or tablet.Thank you.  NormaSent from my Samsung Galaxy
>>> Tab®|PRO

Re: Compatible with Windows 10 Home; Able to open & convert .docx files

Alan Boba-2
Yes AND need to understand that the "editable PDF" is a special case of a
PDF document.

To create one from a LibreOffice (this is an OpenOffice mail list but you
referenced LibreOffice so this reply addresses LibreOffice) document that
can later be edited in LibreOffice the option "Hybrid PDF (embed ODF file)"
MUST be selected when creating the PDF from the LibreOffice document.

If and only if this step is taken the pdf can be edited within LibreOffice
provided other features are also available. Per LibreOffice help...
https://help.libreoffice.org/6.2/en-US/text/shared/01/ref_pdf_export.html?DbPAR=SHARED
this embeds the ODF inside the PDF.

The PDF can then be opened and edit in LibreOffice just as if it was an ODT
file.

So yes, LibreOffice can edit PDF but it must be a particular type of PDF.

Alan Boba

On 24/07/2020 03:40, Alan B wrote:

> Yes AND need to understand that the "editable PDF" is a special case of a
> PDF document.
>
> To create one from a LibreOffice (this is an OpenOffice mail list but you
> referenced LibreOffice so this reply addresses LibreOffice) document that
> can later be edited in LibreOffice the option "Hybrid PDF (embed ODF file)"
> MUST be selected when creating the PDF from the LibreOffice document.
>
> If and only if this step is taken the pdf can be edited within LibreOffice
> provided other features are also available. Per LibreOffice help...
> https://help.libreoffice.org/6.2/en-US/text/shared/01/ref_pdf_export.html?DbPAR=SHARED
> this embeds the ODF inside the PDF.
>
> The PDF can then be opened and edit in LibreOffice just as if it was an ODT
> file.

In OpenOffice it works when you install the PDF Import Extension
<https://www.arielch.org/aoo/aoo-pdf-import/>.