Compound words

ge-7
Hello, Simon,

> Also, Dutch spell checking in MS Word, which is generally considered
> quite good, appears to use mechanical compounding as it accepts certain
> contrived, nonsensical compounds. This at least suggests that it is not
> an *obviously* bad idea, for Dutch at least.

Yes, this is also true for Hungarian. Therefore the Oo version with 10% error rate is still better than the MS office spell checker.

Microsoft would not pay for any new spell checking version or improvement. (Probably if I were them, I would do the same). Therefore their spell checker remains rather static and contains generally much less real (not generated) words, than the language, it checks..

Since most user, who start using Ms Office, did not use spell checker before at all, or not a wysiwyg one, therefore they still find the MS spelling checker very good. I think, Ms's greatest invention is the wysiwyg spell checking method, underlining the bad words, (ispell does spell checking since 1988, before they started,  but using a crude visual interface). MS checker is from the outside good looking, but it is internally much less good looking.

http://docsrv.caldera.com:8457/cgi-bin/info2html?(ispell)History:

"   Geoff Kuenning ([hidden email], that's me, and by the way I
 pronounce it "Kenning") picked up this version, fixed many bugs, and
 added further enhancements.  In 1988 I got ambitious and rewrote major
 portions of the code, resulting in the table-driven multi-lingual
 version.  Ken Stevens ([hidden email]) made overwhelming
 contributions to the elisp support to produce the version you are using
 now.
"

Regards: Eleonora

Re: Compound words

Jancs
Citēju ge <[hidden email]>:

> (Probably if I were them, I would do the same). Therefore their spell checker
> remains rather static and contains generally much less real (not generated)
> words, than the language, it checks..

yes, that's true. Additionally, it seems they are going the way of generation of
all possible form, relying on the users feeleing of the language correctness.

Janis
***