Connecting to database remotely

Jose Molina
Im trying to connect to a database created on my laptop running on windows 10 pro and trying to connect it so I can open it on my desktop running on windows 10 home. How does one do that, exactly?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Connecting to database remotely

Dan Lewis
What type of database are you using? If it is embedded, you could copy
the database file to the desktop and run it. Of course each time you
will have to move this file from one computer.

Otherwise, you will need to network the two computers so that the
computers will have access to each other. (Moving the database file
between computers would be easier than moving using  USB stick.) Then
the database should be converted into a server/client relationship on
one of the computers and set up a client database file. This way both
can access the database. Base can do this; there are other database
engines which can also do this (MySQL and PostgreSQL are two examples.)

Any further questions should be sent to this mailing list and not to me
directly. ([hidden email]) I have sent you a CC so you
could see what I wrote. Others should do the same.

Dan

On 5/16/20 03:50, Jose Molina wrote:
> Im trying to connect to a database created on my laptop running on windows 10 pro and trying to connect it so I can open it on my desktop running on windows 10 home. How does one do that, exactly?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Connecting to database remotely

Steven Ahlers
You could move the data base to a file sharing application like Drop Box. It would then be accessible from any internet connected computer with OpenOffice installed on it.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 16, 2020, at 7:04 AM, Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What type of database are you using? If it is embedded, you could copy the database file to the desktop and run it. Of course each time you will have to move this file from one computer.
>
> Otherwise, you will need to network the two computers so that the computers will have access to each other. (Moving the database file between computers would be easier than moving using  USB stick.) Then the database should be converted into a server/client relationship on one of the computers and set up a client database file. This way both can access the database. Base can do this; there are other database engines which can also do this (MySQL and PostgreSQL are two examples.)
>
> Any further questions should be sent to this mailing list and not to me directly. ([hidden email]) I have sent you a CC so you could see what I wrote. Others should do the same.
>
> Dan
>
>> On 5/16/20 03:50, Jose Molina wrote:
>> Im trying to connect to a database created on my laptop running on windows 10 pro and trying to connect it so I can open it on my desktop running on windows 10 home. How does one do that, exactly?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Connecting to database remotely

Joost Andrae-2

if you have installed a 32 bit java (I would recommend Java 8 in this
case and it should be 32 bit because OpenOffice is 32 bit) and you've
connected OpenOffice with the installed Java via menu item
tools->options->OpenOffice->Java
then you can setup a JDBC remote connection to your database

click on "Database" on the OpenOffice dashboard
check the "connect to an existing database" radio button
then click on "Next >>>" button

place your cursor into the field "Datasource URL" and press the F1 key
where this kind of unified resource locator (URL) is discribed more
deeply (eg. mysql://hostname:port/database_name)

If you run both your desktop PC and your notebook within the same
network you have to check the IP address (or hostname) of your system
you want to connect to

Checking the IP address of this system:
press the Windows button (start menu)
type cmd and open the command line
type ipconfig /ALL
note the IPv4 address because this is the address you have to add to the
hostname part of the datasource URL

You have to know the port address of the database and you have to know
the name (eg. accounting) of your database you want to connect to.

Maybe you need to install a database driver on your client system. This
driver has to be selected then.

An alternate variant can be the connection using a ODBC connection
This connection has to be configured within the ODBC settings dialog
(search for ODBC in Windows system settings). Once set up within your
Windows system the configuration within OpenOffice is quite similar.

Kind regards, Joost

Am 16.05.2020 um 09:50 schrieb Jose Molina:
> Im trying to connect to a database created on my laptop running on windows 10 pro and trying to connect it so I can open it on my desktop running on windows 10 home. How does one do that, exactly?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Connecting to database remotely

David Belina-2
Open Office has 64-bit versions so using a 64-bit version of Java with it would make the instructions just as valid.

On May 16, 2020 at 7:59:52 AM, Joost Andrae ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi,

if you have installed a 32 bit java (I would recommend Java 8 in this
case and it should be 32 bit because OpenOffice is 32 bit) and you've
connected OpenOffice with the installed Java via menu item
tools->options->OpenOffice->Java
then you can setup a JDBC remote connection to your database

click on "Database" on the OpenOffice dashboard
check the "connect to an existing database" radio button
then click on "Next >>>" button

place your cursor into the field "Datasource URL" and press the F1 key
where this kind of unified resource locator (URL) is discribed more
deeply (eg. mysql://hostname:port/database_name)

If you run both your desktop PC and your notebook within the same
network you have to check the IP address (or hostname) of your system
you want to connect to

Checking the IP address of this system:
press the Windows button (start menu)
type cmd and open the command line
type ipconfig /ALL
note the IPv4 address because this is the address you have to add to the
hostname part of the datasource URL

You have to know the port address of the database and you have to know
the name (eg. accounting) of your database you want to connect to.

Maybe you need to install a database driver on your client system. This
driver has to be selected then.

An alternate variant can be the connection using a ODBC connection
This connection has to be configured within the ODBC settings dialog
(search for ODBC in Windows system settings). Once set up within your
Windows system the configuration within OpenOffice is quite similar.

Kind regards, Joost

Am 16.05.2020 um 09:50 schrieb Jose Molina:
> Im trying to connect to a database created on my laptop running on windows 10 pro and trying to connect it so I can open it on my desktop running on windows 10 home. How does one do that, exactly?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Connecting to database remotely

Keith N. McKenna
On 5/16/2020 11:01 AM, David Belina wrote:
> Open Office has 64-bit versions so using a 64-bit version of Java with it would make the instructions just as valid.
>

> On May 16, 2020 at 7:59:52 AM, Joost Andrae ([hidden email]) wrote:

David;

Apache® OpenOffice® on Windows *does not* have a 64 bit version, it is
only 32 bit and therefore a 32 bit Java is necessary to run Base and a
few other things.

Regards
Keith

> Hi,
>
> if you have installed a 32 bit java (I would recommend Java 8 in this
> case and it should be 32 bit because OpenOffice is 32 bit) and you've
> connected OpenOffice with the installed Java via menu item
> tools->options->OpenOffice->Java
> then you can setup a JDBC remote connection to your database
>
> click on "Database" on the OpenOffice dashboard
> check the "connect to an existing database" radio button
> then click on "Next >>>" button
>
> place your cursor into the field "Datasource URL" and press the F1 key
> where this kind of unified resource locator (URL) is discribed more
> deeply (eg. mysql://hostname:port/database_name)
>
> If you run both your desktop PC and your notebook within the same
> network you have to check the IP address (or hostname) of your system
> you want to connect to
>
> Checking the IP address of this system:
> press the Windows button (start menu)
> type cmd and open the command line
> type ipconfig /ALL
> note the IPv4 address because this is the address you have to add to the
> hostname part of the datasource URL
>
> You have to know the port address of the database and you have to know
> the name (eg. accounting) of your database you want to connect to.
>
> Maybe you need to install a database driver on your client system. This
> driver has to be selected then.
>
> An alternate variant can be the connection using a ODBC connection
> This connection has to be configured within the ODBC settings dialog
> (search for ODBC in Windows system settings). Once set up within your
> Windows system the configuration within OpenOffice is quite similar.
>
> Kind regards, Joost
>

> Am 16.05.2020 um 09:50 schrieb Jose Molina:
>> Im trying to connect to a database created on my laptop running on windows 10 pro and trying to connect it so I can open it on my desktop running on windows 10 home. How does one do that, exactly?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Connecting to database remotely

Jose Molina
What im trying to do is create a form on my laptop (case reports for emergency medical services), fill it out on scene, and then be able to update it and be reflected in our dispatch desktop.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 16, 2020, at 8:04 AM, Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What type of database are you using? If it is embedded, you could copy the database file to the desktop and run it. Of course each time you will have to move this file from one computer.
>
> Otherwise, you will need to network the two computers so that the computers will have access to each other. (Moving the database file between computers would be easier than moving using  USB stick.) Then the database should be converted into a server/client relationship on one of the computers and set up a client database file. This way both can access the database. Base can do this; there are other database engines which can also do this (MySQL and PostgreSQL are two examples.)
>
> Any further questions should be sent to this mailing list and not to me directly. ([hidden email]) I have sent you a CC so you could see what I wrote. Others should do the same.
>
> Dan
>
>> On 5/16/20 03:50, Jose Molina wrote:
>> Im trying to connect to a database created on my laptop running on windows 10 pro and trying to connect it so I can open it on my desktop running on windows 10 home. How does one do that, exactly?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Connecting to database remotely

Wade Smart-2
Create a form with html and php on the server the database
is on and from your laptop just filled out the form and submit
to your database.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606