Converting a single row of a table from table to text

Converting a single row of a table from table to text

Stefano Landi
Hello everyone,

I was putting together a document this evening and created a table with 5 columns and about 30 rows. At the 15th row or so I wanted to split the table into two distinct tables and so I selected the entire 15th row, then went up to the menu and did Table/Convert/Table to Text... and then chose tab delimiters to replace seperate out the text in the row I was converint. What happened next is that the entire table just disappeared leaving me with all my text separated by tabs. I tried this several times in both OO 3 Aqua for Mac and OO 3 for Windows. I also tried it in NeoOffice as well, all with the same results, the entire table disappears. I was wondering if anyone might have another way of converting a single row in a table to text so as to split the table in two or more?

thanks,

Stefano Landi
e-mail: [hidden email]
blog: http://www.slandi.net

Re: Converting a single row of a table from table to text

Tony Pursell
On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 21:39 -0500, Stefano Landi wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was putting together a document this evening and created a table with 5 columns and about 30 rows. At the 15th row or so I wanted to split the table into two distinct tables and so I selected the entire 15th row, then went up to the menu and did Table/Convert/Table to Text... and then chose tab delimiters to replace seperate out the text in the row I was converint. What happened next is that the entire table just disappeared leaving me with all my text separated by tabs. I tried this several times in both OO 3 Aqua for Mac and OO 3 for Windows. I also tried it in NeoOffice as well, all with the same results, the entire table disappears. I was wondering if anyone might have another way of converting a single row in a table to text so as to split the table in two or more?
>
> thanks,
>
> Stefano Landi
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> blog: http://www.slandi.net

Why not just highlight the 15th row and go Table > Split Table?

Tony

Re: Converting a single row of a table from table to text

Barbara Duprey
On 1/23/2011 8:39 PM, Stefano Landi wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was putting together a document this evening and created a table with 5 columns and about 30 rows. At the 15th row or so I wanted to split the table into two distinct tables and so I selected the entire 15th row, then went up to the menu and did Table/Convert/Table to Text... and then chose tab delimiters to replace seperate out the text in the row I was converint. What happened next is that the entire table just disappeared leaving me with all my text separated by tabs. I tried this several times in both OO 3 Aqua for Mac and OO 3 for Windows. I also tried it in NeoOffice as well, all with the same results, the entire table disappears. I was wondering if anyone might have another way of converting a single row in a table to text so as to split the table in two or more?
>
> thanks,
>
> Stefano Landi
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> blog: http://www.slandi.net

The option that breaks one table into two is Table > Split Table, with the cursor on what should be
the first row of the new table. You'll get several options about what to do with the table header,
too. As you've discovered, Table > Convert > Table to Text operates on the whole table, regardless
of selection. The Text to Table operation creates a table from selected text, though.

If you really do want to create text from a single row of a table, you can select the row, then cut
or copy it, then paste somewhere outside the table. That will give you a one-row table which you can
then Convert to Text.