Crash of OOo 3.2.1 with update to new mysql connector extension

Crash of OOo 3.2.1 with update to new mysql connector extension

Alexander Thurgood
Hi all,

I started OOo 3.2.1 this morning and the extensions manager proposed to
update the mysql connector to version 1.0.1. I accepted, it installed, I
closed OOo, and restarted. Now, every time I try to connect to the
mysqldb using the native connector by entering my id and password at the
dialog, it causes OOo to crash instantly. This is most annoying as OOo
3.2.1 is the stable base version I use for my daily work.

Can anyone confirm / deny ?

Alex

Re: Crash of OOo 3.2.1 with update to new mysql connector extension

Reizinger Zoltán
2011.01.14. 10:17 keltezéssel, Alexander Thurgood írta:
> Hi all,
>
> I started OOo 3.2.1 this morning and the extensions manager proposed to
> update the mysql connector to version 1.0.1. I accepted, it installed, I
> closed OOo, and restarted.
mysql native connector 1.0.1 designed for OOo 3.3 only, OOo 3.2.1 use
1.0.0 version.
Zoltan

>   Now, every time I try to connect to the
> mysqldb using the native connector by entering my id and password at the
> dialog, it causes OOo to crash instantly. This is most annoying as OOo
> 3.2.1 is the stable base version I use for my daily work.
>

> Can anyone confirm / deny ?
>
> Alex

Re: Crash of OOo 3.2.1 with update to new mysql connector extension

Alexander Thurgood
Le 14/01/11 11:59, Reizinger Zoltán a écrit :

Hi Zoltan,

> mysql native connector 1.0.1 designed for OOo 3.3 only, OOo 3.2.1 use
1.0.0 version.

Hmm, yes, that is what I got to thinking after I posted.

That's all very nice, but then OOo 3.2.1 should either not propose to
update the connector, or their should be a warning that the update can
only be run on 3.3.x versions. There is no such warning. So this is
buggy behaviour IMHO.

Alex

Re: Crash of OOo 3.2.1 with update to new mysql connector extension

Frank Schönheit
Hi Alex,

> That's all very nice, but then OOo 3.2.1 should either not propose to
> update the connector, or their should be a warning that the update can
> only be run on 3.3.x versions. There is no such warning. So this is
> buggy behaviour IMHO.

Indeed the extension claims (in its description.xml) to run with 3.1 and
later - which is correct, there's no reason why it shouldn't work in
those versions. In particular, nothing changed between 1.0.0 and 1.0.1
which would have rendered the extension incompatible to 3.1/3.2.

I also cannot remember it crashing in 3.2 here ...

So, you might want to file a bug for the crash.

Ciao
Frank
--
ORACLE
Frank Schönheit | Software Engineer | [hidden email]

Re: Crash of OOo 3.2.1 with update to new mysql connector extension

Alexander Thurgood
Le 14/01/11 12:29, Frank Schönheit a écrit :

Hi Frank,

> Indeed the extension claims (in its description.xml) to run with 3.1 and
> later - which is correct, there's no reason why it shouldn't work in
> those versions. In particular, nothing changed between 1.0.0 and 1.0.1
> which would have rendered the extension incompatible to 3.1/3.2.
>
> I also cannot remember it crashing in 3.2 here ...
>
> So, you might want to file a bug for the crash.

Thanks, but I'm going to try and check it out a bit first just to make
sure its not my environment or anything...I'm on Mac OSX 10.6.5. The
crash generates a crash log, so I always attach that to the bug report.

Alex