Quantcast

Crashing - Text Documents & Spreadsheets

M B

Crashing - Text Documents & Spreadsheets

M B
I am using Open Office on a Windows 10 machine (word processing and
spreadsheets).  It constantly crashes and I often lose information.  I am
going to have to go back to Microsoft it is so problematic.

Please advise what the problem might be.

mb

Re: Crashing - Text Documents & Spreadsheets

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 17:34:30 -0500
M B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using Open Office on a Windows 10 machine (word processing and
> spreadsheets).  It constantly crashes and I often lose information.  I am
> going to have to go back to Microsoft it is so problematic.
>
> Please advise what the problem might be.
>
> mb

It can happen that an installation of OpenOffice "out-of-the-box"  produces a corrupt user profile, which can cause instability.  The cure for this is to delete or rename the old user profile; OO will then generate a new profile on next startup.

Details of the User Profile for various operating systems
are given in

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 74&t=12426

If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

If that does not improve stability, start Windows in Safe Mode.  If OO runs stable in Windows safe mode the culprit is some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode, which program or driver is interfering with OpenOffice. Common culprits are Skype, Anti virus, continuous backup programs ad utilities which monitor the Clipboard.  To locate the culprit needs systematic detective work on the affected computer.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Crashing - Text Documents & Spreadsheets

Hagar Delest-2
Correct link: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
!-)

Hagar

Le 31/01/2017 à 08:45, Rory O'Farrell a écrit :

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 17:34:30 -0500
> M B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am using Open Office on a Windows 10 machine (word processing and
>> spreadsheets).  It constantly crashes and I often lose information.  I am
>> going to have to go back to Microsoft it is so problematic.
>>
>> Please advise what the problem might be.
>>
>> mb
> It can happen that an installation of OpenOffice "out-of-the-box"  produces a corrupt user profile, which can cause instability.  The cure for this is to delete or rename the old user profile; OO will then generate a new profile on next startup.
>
> Details of the User Profile for various operating systems
> are given in
>
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 74&t=12426
>
> If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
> Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer
> Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
> good choice. Start OpenOffice.
>
> If that does not improve stability, start Windows in Safe Mode.  If OO runs stable in Windows safe mode the culprit is some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode, which program or driver is interfering with OpenOffice. Common culprits are Skype, Anti virus, continuous backup programs ad utilities which monitor the Clipboard.  To locate the culprit needs systematic detective work on the affected computer.

Re: Crashing - Text Documents & Spreadsheets

nasrin khaksar
hi.
i use frequent crash in use both libreoffice openoffice editing my documents.
i sincerely waite for your advice.
also i have skype.
how skype can affect the stability of the office programs?
i realy appreciate and need your help, because i use skype every day
and also wish that use office programs without any problem.
also i read that avast antivirus recognizes openoffice libreoffice as
trojan and stops them from working properly!
i am waiting for any of your advice.

On 2/1/17, Hagar Delest <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Correct link:
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
> !-)
>
> Hagar
>
> Le 31/01/2017 à 08:45, Rory O'Farrell a écrit :
>> On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 17:34:30 -0500
>> M B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Open Office on a Windows 10 machine (word processing and
>>> spreadsheets).  It constantly crashes and I often lose information.  I
>>> am
>>> going to have to go back to Microsoft it is so problematic.
>>>
>>> Please advise what the problem might be.
>>>
>>> mb
>> It can happen that an installation of OpenOffice "out-of-the-box"
>> produces a corrupt user profile, which can cause instability.  The cure
>> for this is to delete or rename the old user profile; OO will then
>> generate a new profile on next startup.
>>
>> Details of the User Profile for various operating systems
>> are given in
>>
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 74&t=12426
>>
>> If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
>> Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer
>> Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
>> good choice. Start OpenOffice.
>>
>> If that does not improve stability, start Windows in Safe Mode.  If OO
>> runs stable in Windows safe mode the culprit is some program or driver
>> that runs in Windows normal mode, which program or driver is interfering
>> with OpenOffice. Common culprits are Skype, Anti virus, continuous backup
>> programs ad utilities which monitor the Clipboard.  To locate the culprit
>> needs systematic detective work on the affected computer.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Re: Crashing - Text Documents & Spreadsheets

Martin Groenescheij

On 03/02/17 2:44 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
> hi.
> i use frequent crash in use both libreoffice openoffice editing my documents.
> i sincerely waite for your advice.
> also i have skype.
> how skype can affect the stability of the office programs?
> i realy appreciate and need your help, because i use skype every day
> and also wish that use office programs without any problem.

Have you reported the problem with Skype to Microsoft?

> also i read that avast antivirus recognizes openoffice libreoffice as
> trojan and stops them from working properly!

Don't believe everything you read.

> i am waiting for any of your advice.
>
> On 2/1/17, Hagar Delest <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Correct link:
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
>> !-)
>>
>> Hagar
>>
>> Le 31/01/2017 à 08:45, Rory O'Farrell a écrit :

>>> It can happen that an installation of OpenOffice "out-of-the-box"
>>> produces a corrupt user profile, which can cause instability.  The cure
>>> for this is to delete or rename the old user profile; OO will then
>>> generate a new profile on next startup.
>>>
>>> Details of the User Profile for various operating systems
>>> are given in
>>>
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 74&t=12426
>>>
>>> If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
>>> Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer
>>> Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
>>> good choice. Start OpenOffice.
>>>
>>> If that does not improve stability, start Windows in Safe Mode.  If OO
>>> runs stable in Windows safe mode the culprit is some program or driver
>>> that runs in Windows normal mode, which program or driver is interfering
>>> with OpenOffice. Common culprits are Skype, Anti virus, continuous backup
>>> programs ad utilities which monitor the Clipboard.  To locate the culprit
>>> needs systematic detective work on the affected computer.

Re: Crashing - Text Documents & Spreadsheets

nasrin khaksar
hi.
i am not sure about problem using skype and openoffice libreoffice.
but i realy wish to know about it!
about avast, i studied in reputable site for downloading portable softwares.
www.portableapps.com