Creating a cws from EIS: Not possible to choose state "new"

Creating a cws from EIS: Not possible to choose state "new"

Christian Lohmaier-2
Hi *,

Mercurial documentation as well as previous mails concerning this
topic describe that you can create a cws in EIS, and that the outgoing
repo is created when setting the state to new.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Mercurial/Cws#Creating_the_child_workspace_in_EIS
reads:
"As an alternative way you can use the EIS web fronted to create the
CWS and set it to status 'new'. Don't forget to set the SCM property
to 'HG'. "

But that's not possible, as the only choices available are planned and finished.

ciao
Christian

Re: Creating a cws from EIS: Not possible to choose state "new"

Bernd Eilers
Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Hi *,

Hi,

> Mercurial documentation as well as previous mails concerning this
> topic describe that you can create a cws in EIS, and that the outgoing
> repo is created when setting the state to new.
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Mercurial/Cws#Creating_the_child_workspace_in_EIS
> reads:
> "As an alternative way you can use the EIS web fronted to create the
> CWS and set it to status 'new'. Don't forget to set the SCM property
> to 'HG'. "
>
> But that's not possible, as the only choices available are planned and finished.

Whoever wrote that paragraph didn't request a corresponding feature for
EIS from tooling :-(

What you can do is to create a CWS in EIS setting it to "plannned"
initially and some time later than use the "cws create" command on the
commandline afterwards to really create it and set it´s state to new.
This should work for currently used HG and previously used SVN
SourceCode Control Mangement systems.

Setting a planned CWS to 'new' or initially setting to 'new' is
currently probably only possible with some administrator rights in EIS.

If we would want to be able to directly set the CWS to 'new' in EIS for
HG based ChildWorkspaces for everyone we could probably add such a
feature, but it would eventually be some kind of tricky how to allow
that than for HG based CWS and disallow that for other CWSs which are
using other SCMs.

> ciao
> Christian

ciao,
Bernd

Re: Creating a cws from EIS: Not possible to choose state "new"

Michael Stahl-3
On 03/03/2010 17:53, Bernd Eilers wrote:
> If we would want to be able to directly set the CWS to 'new' in EIS for
> HG based ChildWorkspaces for everyone we could probably add such a
> feature, but it would eventually be some kind of tricky how to allow
> that than for HG based CWS and disallow that for other CWSs which are
> using other SCMs.

given that OOO320 has recently been migrated to HG, the only code lines on
other SCM are:
OOH680 (2.4.x, on CVS)
???645 (1.1.x, on CVS)

afaik there will not be further OOo releases for these code lines (and
maybe 645 is completely dead), so there will only be Sun developers
creating very few CWSes there for our customers that don't like to upgrade
every decade.
so i don't think there is any need for EIS to be especially picky about
this; if a Sun developer gets it wrong, you know where their office is :)

mfg
michael

--
"Quite frankly, I found it mostly interesting in a Jerry Springer kind of
 way.  White trash battling it out in public, throwing chairs at each

Re: Creating a cws from EIS: Not possible to choose state "new"

Jens-Heiner Rechtien
Hi Bernd,

Am 03.03.10 17:53, Bernd Eilers schrieb:

> Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>> Hi *,
>>

> Hi,
>
>> Mercurial documentation as well as previous mails concerning this
>> topic describe that you can create a cws in EIS, and that the outgoing
>> repo is created when setting the state to new.
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Mercurial/Cws#Creating_the_child_workspace_in_EIS
>>
>> reads:
>> "As an alternative way you can use the EIS web fronted to create the
>> CWS and set it to status 'new'. Don't forget to set the SCM property
>> to 'HG'. "
>>
>> But that's not possible, as the only choices available are planned and
>> finished.
>>

> Whoever wrote that paragraph didn't request a corresponding feature for
> EIS from tooling :-(

Ah, that someone would be me ... I didn't realize that without having
some administration rights (which I have) it's not possible to do so.

> What you can do is to create a CWS in EIS setting it to "plannned"
> initially and some time later than use the "cws create" command on the
> commandline afterwards to really create it and set it´s state to new.
> This should work for currently used HG and previously used SVN
> SourceCode Control Mangement systems.
>
> Setting a planned CWS to 'new' or initially setting to 'new' is
> currently probably only possible with some administrator rights in EIS.
>
> If we would want to be able to directly set the CWS to 'new' in EIS for
> HG based ChildWorkspaces for everyone we could probably add such a
> feature, but it would eventually be some kind of tricky how to allow
> that than for HG based CWS and disallow that for other CWSs which are
> using other SCMs.

This point is alomost completely moot since all interesting code lines
are now on HG. And even with SVN (CVS is not a problem since modules are
tagged separately) all hope is not lost if someone switches a CWS from
planned to new without creating a CWS branch (via cws create) ... you
can always do it later with the "cws create --migrate" switch.

I would vote for allowing this.

Tschau
    Heiner

Re: Creating a cws from EIS: Not possible to choose state "new"

Bernd Eilers

ReHI!

Setting a CWS initially to state "new" and changing a CWS in state
"planned" to "new" is now allowed by EIS and creating a HG CWS can be
done as described in the Wiki.

Kind regards,
Bernd Eilers

Jens-Heiner Rechtien wrote:

> Hi Bernd,
>
> Am 03.03.10 17:53, Bernd Eilers schrieb:
>> Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>>> Hi *,
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>>> Mercurial documentation as well as previous mails concerning this
>>> topic describe that you can create a cws in EIS, and that the outgoing
>>> repo is created when setting the state to new.
>>>
>>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Mercurial/Cws#Creating_the_child_workspace_in_EIS
>>>
>>> reads:
>>> "As an alternative way you can use the EIS web fronted to create the
>>> CWS and set it to status 'new'. Don't forget to set the SCM property
>>> to 'HG'. "
>>>
>>> But that's not possible, as the only choices available are planned
>>> and finished.
>>>

>> Whoever wrote that paragraph didn't request a corresponding feature
>> for EIS from tooling :-(
>
> Ah, that someone would be me ... I didn't realize that without having
> some administration rights (which I have) it's not possible to do so.
>

>> What you can do is to create a CWS in EIS setting it to "plannned"
>> initially and some time later than use the "cws create" command on the
>> commandline afterwards to really create it and set it´s state to new.
>> This should work for currently used HG and previously used SVN
>> SourceCode Control Mangement systems.
>>
>> Setting a planned CWS to 'new' or initially setting to 'new' is
>> currently probably only possible with some administrator rights in EIS.
>>
>> If we would want to be able to directly set the CWS to 'new' in EIS
>> for HG based ChildWorkspaces for everyone we could probably add such a
>> feature, but it would eventually be some kind of tricky how to allow
>> that than for HG based CWS and disallow that for other CWSs which are
>> using other SCMs.
>
> This point is alomost completely moot since all interesting code lines
> are now on HG. And even with SVN (CVS is not a problem since modules are
> tagged separately) all hope is not lost if someone switches a CWS from
> planned to new without creating a CWS branch (via cws create) ... you
> can always do it later with the "cws create --migrate" switch.
>
> I would vote for allowing this.
>
> Tschau
>    Heiner

Re: Creating a cws from EIS: Not possible to choose state "new"

Jens-Heiner Rechtien
Hi Bernd,

thanks for making the change.

Regards
    Heiner

On 03/04/10 17:17, Bernd Eilers wrote:

> ReHI!
>
> Setting a CWS initially to state "new" and changing a CWS in state
> "planned" to "new" is now allowed by EIS and creating a HG CWS can be
> done as described in the Wiki.
>
> Kind regards,
> Bernd Eilers
>

> Jens-Heiner Rechtien wrote:
>> Hi Bernd,

>>> Hi,

>>> Whoever wrote that paragraph didn't request a corresponding feature
>>> for EIS from tooling :-(
>>
>> Ah, that someone would be me ... I didn't realize that without having
>> some administration rights (which I have) it's not possible to do so.
>>

>>> What you can do is to create a CWS in EIS setting it to "plannned"
>>> initially and some time later than use the "cws create" command on
>>> the commandline afterwards to really create it and set it´s state to
>>> new. This should work for currently used HG and previously used SVN
>>> SourceCode Control Mangement systems.
>>>
>>> Setting a planned CWS to 'new' or initially setting to 'new' is
>>> currently probably only possible with some administrator rights in EIS.
>>>
>>> If we would want to be able to directly set the CWS to 'new' in EIS
>>> for HG based ChildWorkspaces for everyone we could probably add such
>>> a feature, but it would eventually be some kind of tricky how to
>>> allow that than for HG based CWS and disallow that for other CWSs
>>> which are using other SCMs.
>>
>> This point is alomost completely moot since all interesting code lines
>> are now on HG. And even with SVN (CVS is not a problem since modules
>> are tagged separately) all hope is not lost if someone switches a CWS
>> from planned to new without creating a CWS branch (via cws create) ...
>> you can always do it later with the "cws create --migrate" switch.
>>
>> I would vote for allowing this.
>>
>> Tschau
>>    Heiner

Re: Creating a cws from EIS: Not possible to choose state "new"

Christian Lohmaier-2
Hi Bernd, *,

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Bernd Eilers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Setting a CWS initially to state "new" and changing a CWS in state "planned"
> to "new" is now allowed by EIS and creating a HG CWS can be done as
> described in the Wiki.

Thanks for the quick change - I can confirm it works fine.

ciao
Christian