Creating and Updating the Help Files

Keith N. McKenna
Do we have documentation anywhere on how to Create/Update the AOO help
files?

Regards
Keith

Re: Creating and Updating the Help Files

FR web forum
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Documentation/OnlineHelp

> Do we have documentation anywhere on how to Create/Update the AOO
> help
> files?
>
> Regards
> Keith

Re: Creating and Updating the Help Files

Matthias Seidel
Hi Keith,

So far I (and likely some others) only "patched" the source. Basically
it is HTML 3.2.

But we have some code in source:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/main/helpcontent2/helpers/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/main/helpauthoring/

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

On 8/21/2018 12:02 PM, FR web forum wrote:

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Documentation/OnlineHelp

Thanks for the link, but most of those do not describe the process in
any kind of detail. What I need is a process document that explains the
process in detail along with links to any tools needed.

Regards
Keith

Re: Creating and Updating the Help Files

Kay Schenk-2
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM Keith N. McKenna <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 8/21/2018 12:02 PM, FR web forum wrote:
> > https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Documentation/OnlineHelp

The old definitive guide -- specification, etc. -- can be found from this
area:
http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/online_help/index.html

Since I have added help files I will say that the process is NOT easy.
Mostly because nearly ALL paragraphs are tagged with ids, and you must
"create" these ids yourself. There was once a tool to use within AOO that
was supposed to help but I never got this to work for me. The structure is
difficult and seems somewhat arbitrary to me.

The idea to port the internal Help to a different system/architecture was
brought up almost at the outset of bringing AOO into the ASF but no one
volunteered to do this.

Anyway, good luck. I will try to be of help if I can. But, it's been a
while ...

MzK

"Less is MORE."

On 8/21/2018 6:16 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM Keith N. McKenna <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/21/2018 12:02 PM, FR web forum wrote:
>>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Documentation/OnlineHelp

Thanks Kay. I had stumbled across that PDF while exploring some of the
other links. I will study it over the next few days and see if I can
figure it out.
I was reviewing some of the threads on re dev@ around options for
redoing the help system. I would be nice to see a more straight forward
system. I just don't have the background to do it.

Regards
Keith