Cross-compile Openoffice on Sparc

Jim Watson
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 14:04 +0800, zxr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to port Openoffice to Sparc,How should i cross-compile it?
>
> Thank you!

Hi zxr,

AFAIK there is no way to cross compile OpenOffice.org for any platform.
The reasons is, that some tools needed to complete the build, are built
and run during the build. Maybe someone knows more about this...

The porting for sparc has been done, and a sparc version is regularly
distributed for example by Debian. Maybe you only need to use a
distribution that supports sparc?  A recent upstream build is usually on
mirrors at openoffice.org/contrib/linuxsparc

Building OOo on ancient sparc machines will take some time. You may be
able to speed up the build using distcc with some faster machines on
your local network, then you only need a gccc/g++ cross compiler on the
remote \machines. It is some years since I tried this, but it did work
in the past...

You can checkout the sources from openoffice.org and build it yourself.
If you are sure you really need to build this, have a look at the
building guides in www.openoffice.org and
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page

You should expect some problems when buidling, but there is help
available. Search the issuezilla and emails carefully - subscribe to the
mailing list and email [hidden email] when if cannot find a
solution.

good luck,

jim

Re: Cross-compile Openoffice on Sparc

Caolán McNamara
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 21:12 +1000, Jim Watson wrote:
> AFAIK there is no way to cross compile OpenOffice.org for any platform.
> The reasons is, that some tools needed to complete the build, are built
> and run during the build. Maybe someone knows more about this...

FWIW, what I've done previously is configure and build under qemu, with
the compiler set to a local distcc client in qemu which ships the
compile jobs out to the native host running a distcc server against a
cross-compiler. So I build natively under emulation, but punt the
compilation to a faster cross-compiler.

In theory scratchbox should be usable to effectively follow the same
technique except far more cleverly transparent and lightweight, i.e. run
a cross compiler automatically for you when compilation is called for,
and automatically run attempt to execute non-native outputted
target-binaries in qemu-user emulation mode. But I've never personally
gotten around to seeing if OOo is buildable under scratchbox.

C.