Currency Symbol

Narendran
Hi!
The Indian Currency symbol…...  is not available in any version of Open Office under ‘CURRENCY SYMBOLS’.
I will be grateful if this could be done in a simple manner , just like we can insert $  €  ¥   £ .
₨ is not a symbol. This was before the symbol was introduced a few years back..
This Indian symbol must be  available in the list of Currency Symbols.
Thank you for your time. I hope you will do this soon.

ps: Wrote earlier a year back, and nothing has been said about it. I got a mail saying it is somewhere in the open office. Since I am not a High Tech person, I could not locate it Make it easy, make it simple and make it readily available  under 'Currency Symbols'

Re: Currency Symbol

Brian Barker
At 06:45 24/11/2017 +0530, Narendran Noname wrote:
>The Indian Currency symbol......

Er, I cannot see any symbol there. Even your mail
client or the mail transmission system cannot cope with it, it seems.

>... is not available in any version of Open Office under "CURRENCY SYMBOLS".

Sorry, but where is this list of  "Currency
symbols", please? You don't even say what sort of
document you are trying to create.

If you are wanting to include this symbol in,
say, a text (Writer) document, you just need to
use a font that includes this symbol, which is
Unicode U+20B9. Fonts are installed in your
operating system, not specifically in an
application such as OpenOffice, so you need to
obtain a font that includes this. My Window 10
system certainly includes a number of fonts that
do. Use Insert | Special Character... to insert a
single instance. To insert multiple instances,
you can copy the first instance, or type (say)
"#R" and then use Find & Replace to convert these
en masse later, or even perhaps use AutoCorrect.

Or are you creating a spreadsheet (Calc)
document? (You kept this a secret!) The list of
symbols in cell formats for the currency INR
shows twelve varieties of symbol - though the one
for "English (India)" is indeed the "Rs." that
you apparently don't want. But you can get around
this by including as the currency symbol the code
"[$#]", where "#" represents the symbol you do
want, pasted in from the technique above. (I
cannot show the real symbol here, as my mail
client and very probably the mail system will not
accept it.) Exactly the same applies to Number
Format in a table cell in a text (Writer) document

So you can achieve everything you want, I think.

>I will be grateful if this could be done in a
>simple manner, just like we can insert $ € ¥ £ .

I think you can do this - providing you have a
font that includes the required glyph.

>This Indian symbol must be  available in the
>list of Currency Symbols. Thank you for your
>time. I hope you will do this soon.

If you want the spreadsheet formatting to be
changed, you can report the matter as a bug or
enhancement request at the web site. Start at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/HowToFileIssue
. Do remember that OpenOffice is a collaborative
project: you could offer to make the change yourself.

>ps: Wrote earlier a year back, and nothing has been said about it.

There is nothing from you in the list archive.
Nor can I see that any issue has been submitted about this.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Currency Symbol

Martin Groenescheij

On 24/11/17 12:15 PM, Narendran wrote:
> Hi!
> The Indian Currency symbol…...  is not available in any version of Open Office under ‘CURRENCY SYMBOLS’.
> I will be grateful if this could be done in a simple manner , just like we can insert $  €  ¥   £ .
> ₨ is not a symbol. This was before the symbol was introduced a few years back..
> This Indian symbol must be  available in the list of Currency Symbols.

Two ways you can achieve this:
1. In OpenOffice go to Insert -> Special Character select for example
Font Times New Roman and in the Subset select Currency Symbols
    at the right site of the top row you see the required symbol.
2. In Windows open the Character Map select again the same font, half
way the bottom you select Unicode Subrange in the Group by field
    This opens a Group by window where you select Currency and you find
your symbol

> Thank you for your time. I hope you will do this soon.
>
> ps: Wrote earlier a year back, and nothing has been said about it. I got a mail saying it is somewhere in the open office. Since I am not a High Tech person, I could not locate it Make it easy, make it simple and make it readily available  under 'Currency Symbols'

Re: Currency Symbol

M Henri Day

> Hi!
> The Indian Currency symbol…...  is not available in any version of Open
> Office under ‘CURRENCY SYMBOLS’.
> I will be grateful if this could be done in a simple manner , just like we
> can insert $  €  ¥   £ .
> ₨ is not a symbol. This was before the symbol was introduced a few years
> back..
> This Indian symbol must be  available in the list of Currency Symbols.
> Thank you for your time. I hope you will do this soon.
>
> ps: Wrote earlier a year back, and nothing has been said about it. I got a
> mail saying it is somewhere in the open office. Since I am not a High Tech
> person, I could not locate it Make it easy, make it simple and make it
> readily available  under 'Currency Symbols'

​The Unicode hexadecimal designation for the character ​

​ is ​«U+20B9». On a Linux machine hold down the Shift and Ctrl keys and
to do this on a Windows machine as well ; the one I find easiest is to
first download and install the UnicodeInput Utility (instructions here :
http://www.fileformat.info/tool/unicodeinput/ ) and then use the tool to
input the Unicode character....

Hope the above proves useful.

Henri