Cursor in Read-Only MultiLineEdit?

stephan.bergmann
All,

Implementing
<http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/packagemanager/online_update_for_extensions.odt>,
I was wondering whether or not a cursor should be displayed in a
read-only MultiLineEdit (e.g., the "Description" box in figure 5 or the
"Result" box in figure 8 of the above spec.).  Any authoritative answer?

-Stephan

Re: Cursor in Read-Only MultiLineEdit?

Bill Haneman
Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> All,
>
> Implementing
> <http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/packagemanager/online_update_for_extensions.odt>,
> I was wondering whether or not a cursor should be displayed in a
> read-only MultiLineEdit (e.g., the "Description" box in figure 5 or
> the "Result" box in figure 8 of the above spec.).  Any authoritative
> answer?
At the very least, a cursor should be displayable on request (i.e. via
F7, the 'caret browsing' key), so that blind users can read these
multi-line text fields.  The presence of a text cursor makes reading
these multiline fields practical for blind users.

In many apps including Firefox/mozilla, F7 toggles a visible onscreen
text caret in readonly text (for instance in an HTML page), for this
purpose.

regards

Bill

> -Stephan

Re: Cursor in Read-Only MultiLineEdit?

Malte Timmermann
IMHO you don't have to care about if to show a cursor in "your" dialogs.

Bill is right that such a cursor is helpful, and for that reasons we
have the accessibility options for documents to show a cursor in
read-only mode.

But this is only for documents (right now)...

So this is a general thing to solve in VCL.
It's a GUI Toolkit feature, nothing an application developer should care
about.

Malte.

Bill Haneman wrote, On 12/05/06 14:15:

> Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Implementing
>> <http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/packagemanager/online_update_for_extensions.odt>,
>> I was wondering whether or not a cursor should be displayed in a
>> read-only MultiLineEdit (e.g., the "Description" box in figure 5 or
>> the "Result" box in figure 8 of the above spec.).  Any authoritative
>> answer?
> At the very least, a cursor should be displayable on request (i.e. via
> F7, the 'caret browsing' key), so that blind users can read these
> multi-line text fields.  The presence of a text cursor makes reading
> these multiline fields practical for blind users.
>
> In many apps including Firefox/mozilla, F7 toggles a visible onscreen
> text caret in readonly text (for instance in an HTML page), for this
> purpose.
>
> regards
>
> Bill
>> -Stephan

Re: Cursor in Read-Only MultiLineEdit?

stephan.bergmann
Btw, a cursor *is* displayed in a read-only MultiLineEdit.

-Stephan