[DEVTOOLS] [PROPOSAL] branch Netbeans plugin for 3.0 and begin 4.0 trunk

[DEVTOOLS] [PROPOSAL] branch Netbeans plugin for 3.0 and begin 4.0 trunk

Carl Marcum
Hi all,

I would like to branch NB integration plugin for 3.0 and start modifying
trunk for AOO 4.0 compatibility.

I would like to also tag current version as 3.0.1 at the same time.

Trunk would become version 4.0 to maintain major version number the same
as AOO.

If there are no objections to the above proposal within 72-hours then I
will invoke Lazy Consensus and proceed to implement the above proposal.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [DEVTOOLS] [PROPOSAL] branch Netbeans plugin for 3.0 and begin 4.0 trunk

Carl Marcum
Hi Jan,

On 04/14/2013 02:58 PM, janI wrote:

> On 14 April 2013 20:25, Carl Marcum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Juergen,
>>

>> On 04/14/2013 01:32 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carl,

>>> I agree now and with my upcoming 3layer removal there will be some work
>>> to do in the plugin. It mainly that places of jars, tools, libs have
>>> changed.
>>>
>>> Juergen
>>>

>> Is this something that will be implemented in AOO 4 release?
>>

> How come it is a 3.0 branch ?? that sounds old to me, shouldnt it be
> 3.4.1x branch ?

The Netbeans plugin versions didn't historically coincide with the OOo
version numbers (that I know of).

When the code came to Apache it was version 2.0.7 and I tagged that
version and started work to make it run on Netbeans 6.9 which was
Netbeans 7.0 api changes. That's when I changed it to 3.0. Some
additional localization work took it to 3.0.2.

I'm not sure what the best solution to version numbering other than to
do a major number change when it's not compatible with AOO or NB and
keep a compatibility table somewhere.

> I do agree with the principle in having a branch. We have however to make
> it clear to developers, that when using that branch their code will not
> avalible with 4.0.

I agree, that's why I hope everyone continues to do work on trunk and we
only merge changes if needed for some reason. But we have a well
established break point.

> rgds
> jan I.

Best regards,