DOC file not opening on 4.1.4

Rory O'Farrell
Forum volunteer John_Ha has sent me a DOC file that will open with 4.1.3 (and AbiWord) but gives a "Read-Error: This is not a WinWord 97 file" error on 4.1.4 RC1.  A quick inspection suggests that the first 50 or so bytes of the file are as they should be for a "good" DOC file.

As this ML will strip attachments I won't attach it; I have his permission to make it available to anyone interested.  If you would like to examine it, please email me for a copy.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: DOC file not opening on 4.1.4

Jim Jagielski-2
Thanks! What platform build is this on?

On 2017-08-10 07:27, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forum volunteer John_Ha has sent me a DOC file that will open with 4.1.3 (and AbiWord) but gives a "Read-Error: This is not a WinWord 97 file" error on 4.1.4 RC1.  A quick inspection suggests that the first 50 or so bytes of the file are as they should be for a "good" DOC file.
>
> As this ML will strip attachments I won't attach it; I have his permission to make it available to anyone interested.  If you would like to examine it, please email me for a copy.
>
> --
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: DOC file not opening on 4.1.4

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 11:37:19 -0000
"Jim Jagielski"<[hidden email]> wrote:

Windows build.  I'll ask John_Ha for the build number,

> Thanks! What platform build is this on?
>
> On 2017-08-10 07:27, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Forum volunteer John_Ha has sent me a DOC file that will open with 4.1.3 (and AbiWord) but gives a "Read-Error: This is not a WinWord 97 file" error on 4.1.4 RC1.  A quick inspection suggests that the first 50 or so bytes of the file are as they should be for a "good" DOC file.
> >
> > As this ML will strip attachments I won't attach it; I have his permission to make it available to anyone interested.  If you would like to examine it, please email me for a copy.
> >
> > --
> > Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: DOC file not opening on 4.1.4

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 11:37:19 -0000
"Jim Jagielski"<[hidden email]> wrote:

Windows build.  I'll ask John_Ha for the build number,

I note also that it would not open for me (same message) on AOO 4.1.4

AOO414m1(Build:9784)  -  Rev. 1804159
running on Xubuntu 16.04.3 (64 bit)

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: DOC file not opening on 4.1.4

Patricia Shanahan
One of the changes for 4.1.4 is supposed to tighten validation of doc
files. Unfortunately, I made a mistake in the version that went into
RC1, and it gets false positives.

The problem should be fixed in RC2.

On 8/10/2017 4:27 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> Forum volunteer John_Ha has sent me a DOC file that will open with 4.1.3 (and AbiWord) but gives a "Read-Error: This is not a WinWord 97 file" error on 4.1.4 RC1.  A quick inspection suggests that the first 50 or so bytes of the file are as they should be for a "good" DOC file.
>
> As this ML will strip attachments I won't attach it; I have his permission to make it available to anyone interested.  If you would like to examine it, please email me for a copy.

Re: DOC file not opening on 4.1.4

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 10:25:24 -0700
Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the changes for 4.1.4 is supposed to tighten validation of doc
> files. Unfortunately, I made a mistake in the version that went into
> RC1, and it gets false positives.
>
> The problem should be fixed in RC2.

Thank you for the information, Patricia.  If you need a copy of the file for test purposes, let me know

Rory