DOCX file extension

David Kendal
Hello,

I have the most recent version of Open Office but am unable to
open DOCX files sent to me.

Is there a way of opening these files?

Thanks,

David Kendal

Re: DOCX file extension

Wade Smart-2
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 8:59 AM, David Kendal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the most recent version of Open Office but am unable to
> open DOCX files sent to me.
>
> Is there a way of opening these files?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Kendal

What happens when you try to open them?

Re: DOCX file extension

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 14:59:07 +0000 (GMT)

Try www.zamzar.com's free online service to convert these to .doc  or (if offered) .odt format.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: DOCX file extension

Jim McLaughlin
Not directly.  One of the many "features" of OO 4,x.x

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 6:59 AM, David Kendal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the most recent version of Open Office but am unable to
> open DOCX files sent to me.
>
> Is there a way of opening these files?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Kendal

Re: DOCX file extension

Larry Gusaas-4

On 2016-11-26, 1:59 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
> Not directly.  One of the many "features" of OO 4,x.x

BS. I can open any docx files that have been sent to me with Apache OpenOffice.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: DOCX file extension

Felmon Davis
On Sat, 26 Nov 2016, Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 2016-11-26, 1:59 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>> Not directly.  One of the many "features" of OO 4,x.x
>
> BS. I can open any docx files that have been sent to me with Apache
> OpenOffice.

not complete BS - I have encountered .docx files I cannot open. if I
then load them up to google-docs, they open fine and I can save them
as .odt or whatever. I'd say out of about 300 .docx files I've dealt
with since September (I've dealt with many more actually in this
period), I stumbled across this once. typical rate in my experience.

I'm still on 4.1.1.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

In the beginning there was nothing.  And the Lord said "Let There Be
Light!"
And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.

Re: DOCX file extension

Jim McLaughlin
BS right back at you.  Three folks in this thread are reporting exactly
that unacceptable performance.

You really need to understand that there are lots of OO users out here
who's experiences with OO are sub satisfactory, and learn that you persuade
no one of anything with your immediate resort to insults and foul language
because others have experience different from yours.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 2016-11-26, 1:59 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>
>> Not directly.  One of the many "features" of OO 4,x.x
>>

> BS. I can open any docx files that have been sent to me with Apache
> OpenOffice.
>
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 6:59 AM, David Kendal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have the most recent version of Open Office but am unable to
>>> open DOCX files sent to me.
>>>
>>> Is there a way of opening these files?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> David Kendal
>>>

>> __________
>>

> --
> _________________________________
>
> Larry I. Gusaas
> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
> theirs." - Edgard Varese

Re: DOCX file extension

Felmon Davis
On Sat, 26 Nov 2016, Jim McLaughlin wrote:

> BS right back at you.  Three folks in this thread are reporting exactly
> that unacceptable performance.
>
> You really need to understand that there are lots of OO users out here
> who's experiences with OO are sub satisfactory

I have complaints about my spouse too but for the most part I am quite
satisfied; same for OO.

>, and learn that you persuade no one of anything with your immediate
> resort to insults and foul language because others have experience
> different from yours.

gentlemen, mind the furniture!

f.

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> On 2016-11-26, 1:59 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>>
>>> Not directly.  One of the many "features" of OO 4,x.x
>>>

>> BS. I can open any docx files that have been sent to me with Apache
>> OpenOffice.
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 6:59 AM, David Kendal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,

>>> __________
>>>

>> --
>> _________________________________
>>
>> Larry I. Gusaas
>> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
>> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
>> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
>> theirs." - Edgard Varese

Felmon Davis

Etiquette is for those with no breeding; fashion for those with no
taste.

Re: DOCX file extension

Andrew Pitonyak
if the latest version can't handle it, T try libre office. of that can't handle it you may be stuck with mso.

If the document is not proprietary, create a bug ticket and attached the document so the devs can fix aoo. traveling right now and it is difficult for me to look up the link... if you are willing to do this and can't see how, mail this list and ask for help with that.⁣

Sent from BlueMail ​

On Nov 26, 2016, 3:21 PM, at 3:21 PM, Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Nov 2016, Larry Gusaas wrote:
>

>> On 2016-11-26, 1:59 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>>> Not directly.  One of the many "features" of OO 4,x.x
>>
>> BS. I can open any docx files that have been sent to me with Apache
>> OpenOffice.
>
>not complete BS - I have encountered .docx files I cannot open. if I
>then load them up to google-docs, they open fine and I can save them
>as .odt or whatever. I'd say out of about 300 .docx files I've dealt
>with since September (I've dealt with many more actually in this
>period), I stumbled across this once. typical rate in my experience.
>
>I'm still on 4.1.1.
>
>f.
>
>  >

>>> __________
>>>

>--
>Felmon Davis
>
>In the beginning there was nothing.  And the Lord said "Let There Be
>Light!"
>And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.

Re: DOCX file extension

Martin Groenescheij

On 27/11/16 7:36 AM, Jim McLaughlin wrote:
> BS right back at you.  Three folks in this thread are reporting exactly
> that unacceptable performance.
>
> You really need to understand that there are lots of OO users out here
> who's experiences with OO are sub satisfactory, and learn that you persuade
> no one of anything with your immediate resort to insults and foul language
> because others have experience different from yours.

Anything positive to say?

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> On 2016-11-26, 1:59 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>>
>>> Not directly.  One of the many "features" of OO 4,x.x
>>>
>> BS. I can open any docx files that have been sent to me with Apache
>> OpenOffice.
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 6:59 AM, David Kendal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,

>>> __________
>>>

>> --
>> _________________________________
>>
>> Larry I. Gusaas
>> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
>> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
>> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
>> theirs." - Edgard Varese

Re: DOCX file extension

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2016-11-26, 2:36 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:

> BS right back at you.  Three folks in this thread are reporting exactly
> that unacceptable performance.
>
> You really need to understand that there are lots of OO users out here
> who's experiences with OO are sub satisfactory, and learn that you persuade
> no one of anything with your immediate resort to insults and foul language
> because others have experience different from yours.

You stated "Not directly", which is a blatant falsehood. AOO does open .docx files directly.
Occasionally some people have problems. One poster on this thread stated about 1 in 300 files
didn't open. I have never had a problem.

In other words AOO does  directly open .docx files, contrary to your fallacious statement.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: DOCX file extension

Jim McLaughlin
To quote the world's self appointed expert, "BS".

Not a blatant falsehood.

If you have any ability to read and understand the meaning of the words you
are reading, you'll eventually figure out that my statement is a blatant
truth.

In my experience, OO, does not open .docx files but all too frequently
requires a sort of "translator" to open.

Now stop playing with your computer, and stop playing with your self, get
out of your mother's basement and go play outside with the other children.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 2016-11-26, 2:36 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>
> BS right back at you.  Three folks in this thread are reporting exactly
>> that unacceptable performance.
>>
>> You really need to understand that there are lots of OO users out here
>> who's experiences with OO are sub satisfactory, and learn that you
>> persuade
>> no one of anything with your immediate resort to insults and foul language
>> because others have experience different from yours.
>>

> You stated "Not directly", which is a blatant falsehood. AOO does open
> .docx files directly. Occasionally some people have problems. One poster on
> this thread stated about 1 in 300 files didn't open. I have never had a
> problem.
>
> In other words AOO does  directly open .docx files, contrary to your
> fallacious statement.
>
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 2016-11-26, 1:59 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>>>
>>> Not directly.  One of the many "features" of OO 4,x.x

> --
> _________________________________
>
> Larry I. Gusaas
> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
> theirs." - Edgard Varese

Re: DOCX file extension

jd1008

On 11/26/2016 05:07 PM, Jim McLaughlin wrote:

> To quote the world's self appointed expert, "BS".
>
> Not a blatant falsehood.
>
> If you have any ability to read and understand the meaning of the words you
> are reading, you'll eventually figure out that my statement is a blatant
> truth.
>
> In my experience, OO, does not open .docx files but all too frequently
> requires a sort of "translator" to open.
>
> Now stop playing with your computer, and stop playing with your self, get
> out of your mother's basement and go play outside with the other children.
>

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-11-26, 2:36 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>>
>> BS right back at you.  Three folks in this thread are reporting exactly
>>> that unacceptable performance.
>>>
>>> You really need to understand that there are lots of OO users out here
>>> who's experiences with OO are sub satisfactory, and learn that you
>>> persuade
>>> no one of anything with your immediate resort to insults and foul language
>>> because others have experience different from yours.
>>>
>> You stated "Not directly", which is a blatant falsehood. AOO does open
>> .docx files directly. Occasionally some people have problems. One poster on
>> this thread stated about 1 in 300 files didn't open. I have never had a
>> problem.
>>
>> In other words AOO does  directly open .docx files, contrary to your
>> fallacious statement.
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:

Don't mean to burst anyone's vacuous bubbles,
but I think OO rocks. Never had ANY problems with it
during all the 10+ years I have been using it.

Re: DOCX file extension

John Gordon
I joined this august group two days ago in hopes of perhaps learning a bit
more about the database segment of Open Office. In that time I have been
treated to something like twenty emails the preponderance of which involved
grown men slinging insults at each other.

I am going to leave you folks to fight it out amongst yourselves.

JG

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 6:23 PM, Martin Groenescheij <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27/11/16 7:36 AM, Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>
>> BS right back at you.  Three folks in this thread are reporting exactly
>> that unacceptable performance.
>>
>> You really need to understand that there are lots of OO users out here
>> who's experiences with OO are sub satisfactory, and learn that you
>> persuade
>> no one of anything with your immediate resort to insults and foul language
>> because others have experience different from yours.
>>

> Anything positive to say?
>

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On 2016-11-26, 1:59 PM Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>>>
>>> Not directly.  One of the many "features" of OO 4,x.x

>>> _________________________________
>>>
>>> Larry I. Gusaas
>>> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
>>> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
>>> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
>>> theirs." - Edgard Varese

Re: DOCX file extension

Larry Gusaas-4
"OO, does not open .docx files" ???

Most of the time, for most people, AOO does open .docx files.

Why don't you provide some meaningful support to users rather than spreading falsehoods.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: DOCX file extension

Hagar Delest-2
Well, I think that it clearly tells how this discussion has evolved.
No need to further feed the troll.
docx and OOXML is a recurrent hot topic. I think that it has been clearly demonstrated that AOO can open docx, period.
If some want to think otherwise and express that, they should just remember that such falsehoods are stored in the mailing list and they will reflect for a long time how wrong their contributions in the list can be.

Hagar

Le 27/11/2016 à 01:39, John Gordon a écrit :

> I joined this august group two days ago in hopes of perhaps learning a bit
> more about the database segment of Open Office. In that time I have been
> treated to something like twenty emails the preponderance of which involved
> grown men slinging insults at each other.
>
> I am going to leave you folks to fight it out amongst yourselves.
>
> JG
>
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 6:23 PM, Martin Groenescheij <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 27/11/16 7:36 AM, Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>>
>>> BS right back at you.  Three folks in this thread are reporting exactly
>>> that unacceptable performance.
>>>
>>> You really need to understand that there are lots of OO users out here
>>> who's experiences with OO are sub satisfactory, and learn that you
>>> persuade
>>> no one of anything with your immediate resort to insults and foul language
>>> because others have experience different from yours.
>>>
>> Anything positive to say?

Re: DOCX file extension

Richard Detwiler
On 11/26/2016 8:13 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> "OO, does not open .docx files" ???
>
> Most of the time, for most people, AOO does open .docx files.
>
> Why don't you provide some meaningful support to users rather than
> spreading falsehoods.

Correct. I have never had any problems opening docx files with AOO. I'm
not contending that every docx file that exists can be opened properly
with AOO. However, I've never encountered a problem, and I have opened
quite a few.

Re: DOCX file extension

David Kendal

> On 26 November 2016 at 16:44 Wade Smart <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 8:59 AM, David Kendal <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
>

> > I have the most recent version of Open Office but am unable
> > open DOCX files sent to me.
> >
> > Is there a way of opening these files?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David Kendal
>
> What happens when you try to open them?

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> [hidden email]
> Hello,
> File does not open if left as docx file.
If file is downloaded and manually change file tag to doc, get
the message "can not open - file corrupted"
Dave