Database Wizard

James Wheeler
I have recently purchased a new computer and installed OpenOffice. It’s asking me if I want to create a new database or use an existing?  I have a thumb drive full of documents that are in OpenOffice format and all that I want to do is plug in the thumb drive and continue working on the files that are already there. What is the simplest way to set this program up?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Database Wizard

Alan Pearce-2
I can't answer your question but from information I have gleaned from another group, working on thumb drives/usb sticks isn't a good idea as apparently they don't like long term multiple access. So download to your pc and carry out your work then upload to store seems to be the answer. But I am no expert.Cheers,Alan

From: James Wheeler <[hidden email]>
Date: 21/11/2019 14:30 (GMT+00:00)
To: [hidden email]

I have recently purchased a new computer and installed OpenOffice. It’s asking me if I want to create a new database or use an existing?  I have a thumb drive full of documents that are in OpenOffice format and all that I want to do is plug in the thumb drive and continue working on the files that are already there. What is the simplest way to set this program up?Thanks,Jim   ---------------------------------------------------------------------To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email] additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Database Wizard

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 10:21:41 -0700
David Belina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As to USB stick usage:
>
> For setup, just answer yes to all prompts if you want the default configuration.
>
> as to USB drives and how to use them:
>
> USB flash drives can withstand between 10,000 to 100,000 write/erase cycles, depending on the memory technology used. When the limit is reached, some portion of the memory may not function properly, leading to lost of data and corruption.
> Dave
> As to set up, just answering yes to all prompts no to all the prompts should give you a default configuration.
>
> Dave

To prevent corruption and resulting data loss, it is essential to observe the operating system's USB device removal protocols.

Often on en-Forum we see complaints of data loss when users work direct to the USB key; this is why we recommend transfer of files to the hard disk and working with them there.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Database Wizard

Girvin Herr-2

On 11/21/19 9:28 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 10:21:41 -0700
> David Belina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As to USB stick usage:
>>
>> For setup, just answer yes to all prompts if you want the default configuration.
>>
>> as to USB drives and how to use them:
>>
>> USB flash drives can withstand between 10,000 to 100,000 write/erase cycles, depending on the memory technology used. When the limit is reached, some portion of the memory may not function properly, leading to lost of data and corruption.
>> Dave
>> As to set up, just answering yes to all prompts no to all the prompts should give you a default configuration.
>>
>> Dave
>>
> To prevent corruption and resulting data loss, it is essential to observe the operating system's USB device removal protocols.

The flash memory write cycle limit includes updating the file access
timestamp in file directories on operating systems that have an access
time directory element. This includes *nix-derived OS's such as Linux
and probably Macs. Even read cycles could quickly "wear out" the flash
memory if access time is changed for reads. The solution for Linux
users, in /etc/fstab, all flash memory mounts should have the "noatime"
option to prevent access time changes for just reading the file. I have
had this option set for many years and have not had any flash corruption.

HTH.

Girvin

> Often on en-Forum we see complaints of data loss when users work direct to the USB key; this is why we recommend transfer of files to the hard disk and working with them there.
>
>> On November 21, 2019 at 10:08:47 AM, Alan Pearce ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>
>> I can't answer your question but from information I have gleaned from another group, working on thumb drives/usb sticks isn't a good idea as apparently they don't like long term multiple access. So download to your pc and carry out your work then upload to store seems to be the answer. But I am no expert.Cheers,Alan

David Robley
This sounds like you have opened the database component of OpenOffice -
which will ask for that choice - rather than the main OpenOffice start
screen. You don't mention you OS, nor how you are actually invoking
OpenOffice, so I can't offer much more advice.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the
mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
<[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]>-
replies to my personal email address will be ignored.

On 22/11/19 1:00 am, James Wheeler wrote:
> I have recently purchased a new computer and installed OpenOffice. It’s asking me if I want to create a new database or use an existing?  I have a thumb drive full of documents that are in OpenOffice format and all that I want to do is plug in the thumb drive and continue working on the files that are already there. What is the simplest way to set this program up?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Cheers
--
David Robley

Dreams are free, but you get soaked on the connect time.