Dear Users and fellow writers. Free advice required.

Dear Users and fellow writers. Free advice required.

christopher spencer
Dear All,

Across the globe. Please are you able to help me.

I have been typing a book on Open Office writer. Twice without any warning
the text disappeared  totally.

Twice I have re typed and after chapter 12 it vanished again.

I have searched my list of Documents and found the Final Master label.

I tapped into it and it lead me to Erased & Lost. files.

I have found what I think to be the TWO books.
The code reads  .>Notepad looks like this. a#s#m# etc
>Open Office looks like this. #1#8#T#1 etc

Please tell me are these Corrupted files  beyond salvaging.

Thank you for any help that you can offer, and i mean THANK you.
sincerely
Christopher

Re: Dear Users and fellow writers. Free advice required.

Martin Groenescheij

On 18/08/2020 13:50, christopher spencer wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Across the globe. Please are you able to help me.
>
> I have been typing a book on Open Office writer. Twice without any warning
> the text disappeared  totally.
>
> Twice I have re typed and after chapter 12 it vanished again.
>
> I have searched my list of Documents and found the Final Master label.
>
> I tapped into it and it lead me to Erased & Lost. files.
>
> I have found what I think to be the TWO books.

If TWO books disappears it means that you have the TWO books open at the
same time.

TWO books with twelve chapters could be large documents and ask a lot
from your PC
especially when you have pictures in the document. So tell us a bit of
your configuration.
What Operating System and version as well as which version of OpenOffice
do you use?

I could give you only one advice, split large documents in smaller
parts, you always could
merge them into one document later. One benefit is that you losing only
a portion of the
document

> The code reads  .>Notepad looks like this. a#s#m# etc
>> Open Office looks like this. #1#8#T#1 etc

I'm a bit surprised that you read the Erased & Lost files with Notepad
as all OpenOffice
files are stored as Zip files which could be corrupted by opening it
with applications
that are not designed to read Open Document Formats.

> Please tell me are these Corrupted files  beyond salvaging.
Here is were my expertise ends

> Thank you for any help that you can offer, and i mean THANK you.
> sincerely
> Christopher

Fwd: Re: Dear Users and fellow writers. Free advice required.

Martin Groenescheij
Forgot to copy OP

On 18/08/2020 13:50, christopher spencer wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Across the globe. Please are you able to help me.
>
> I have been typing a book on Open Office writer. Twice without any warning
> the text disappeared totally.
>
> Twice I have re typed and after chapter 12 it vanished again.
>
> I have searched my list of Documents and found the Final Master label.
>
> I tapped into it and it lead me to Erased & Lost. files.
>
> I have found what I think to be the TWO books.

If TWO books disappears it means that you have the TWO books open at the
same time.

TWO books with twelve chapters could be large documents and ask a lot
from your PC
especially when you have pictures in the document. So tell us a bit of
your configuration.
What Operating System and version as well as which version of OpenOffice
do you use?

I could give you only one advice, split large documents in smaller
parts, you always could
merge them into one document later. One benefit is that you losing only
a portion of the
document

> The code reads .>Notepad looks like this. a#s#m# etc
>> Open Office looks like this. #1#8#T#1 etc

I'm a bit surprised that you read the Erased & Lost files with Notepad
as all OpenOffice
files are stored as Zip files which could be corrupted by opening it
with applications
that are not designed to read Open Document Formats.

> Please tell me are these Corrupted files beyond salvaging.
Here is were my expertise ends

> Thank you for any help that you can offer, and i mean THANK you.
> sincerely
> Christopher

Re: Dear Users and fellow writers. Free advice required.

Rory O'Farrell
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 12:50:26 +0100
christopher spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Across the globe. Please are you able to help me.
>
> I have been typing a book on Open Office writer. Twice without any warning
> the text disappeared  totally.
>
> Twice I have re typed and after chapter 12 it vanished again.
>
> I have searched my list of Documents and found the Final Master label.
>
> I tapped into it and it lead me to Erased & Lost. files.
>
> I have found what I think to be the TWO books.
> The code reads  .>Notepad looks like this. a#s#m# etc
> >Open Office looks like this. #1#8#T#1 etc
>
> Please tell me are these Corrupted files  beyond salvaging.
>
> Thank you for any help that you can offer, and i mean THANK you.
> sincerely
> Christopher

That depends on the format in which  you were working: if you were working in .doc format, simply change the file extensions of the found files to .doc and see if they open with any degree of correctness.  If you were working in .odt format, I think you are out of luck.

Also, when writing, are you pressing Enter or Shift Enter to mark the end of a paragraph?  Enter is the correct method; Shift Enter displays correctly onscreen, but internally OpenOffice interprets it as a continuation character, so it treats the text as one large paragraph.  For reasons programmers will understand, OpenOffice allows only 64K characters in a paragraph and starts to act funny if that is the case.  So use Enter.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Dear Users and fellow writers. Free advice required.

mick howe
notepad did open any file way back in the long ago, if it was plain text
you could read it, if it was encrypted or an application's data file
it would appear as the hex values of the data, that is a mass of garbage.
so long as you don't try to save it in notepad it MIGHT be recoverable
by an expert.
From your description of events leading to your 'lost' files I suggest you
do a FULL system backup and then rum aggressive memory & disk
tests to ensure that they are are not going bad.

mick in glen innes 2370

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 01:17, Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 18/08/2020 13:50, christopher spencer wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Across the globe. Please are you able to help me.
> >
> > I have been typing a book on Open Office writer. Twice without any
> warning
> > the text disappeared  totally.
> >
> > Twice I have re typed and after chapter 12 it vanished again.
> >
> > I have searched my list of Documents and found the Final Master label.
> >
> > I tapped into it and it lead me to Erased & Lost. files.
> >
> > I have found what I think to be the TWO books.
>

> If TWO books disappears it means that you have the TWO books open at the
> same time.
>
> TWO books with twelve chapters could be large documents and ask a lot
> from your PC
> especially when you have pictures in the document. So tell us a bit of
> your configuration.
> What Operating System and version as well as which version of OpenOffice
> do you use?
>
> I could give you only one advice, split large documents in smaller
> parts, you always could
> merge them into one document later. One benefit is that you losing only
> a portion of the
> document
>
> > The code reads  .>Notepad looks like this. a#s#m# etc
> >> Open Office looks like this. #1#8#T#1 etc
>

> I'm a bit surprised that you read the Erased & Lost files with Notepad
> as all OpenOffice
> files are stored as Zip files which could be corrupted by opening it
> with applications
> that are not designed to read Open Document Formats.
>
> > Please tell me are these Corrupted files  beyond salvaging.
> Here is were my expertise ends
> >
> > Thank you for any help that you can offer, and i mean THANK you.
> > sincerely
> > Christopher

Re: Dear Users and fellow writers. Free advice required.

christopher spencer
Dear Rory,

Thank you. A BIG thank you. The most helpful information I have received. I
am really happy to have so much help. Rory you have educated me . Thank you.
sincerely
Christopher

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 at 17:24, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 12:50:26 +0100
> christopher spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Across the globe. Please are you able to help me.
> >
> > I have been typing a book on Open Office writer. Twice without any
> warning
> > the text disappeared  totally.
> >
> > Twice I have re typed and after chapter 12 it vanished again.
> >
> > I have searched my list of Documents and found the Final Master label.
> >
> > I tapped into it and it lead me to Erased & Lost. files.
> >
> > I have found what I think to be the TWO books.
> > The code reads  .>Notepad looks like this. a#s#m# etc
> > >Open Office looks like this. #1#8#T#1 etc
> >
> > Please tell me are these Corrupted files  beyond salvaging.
> >
> > Thank you for any help that you can offer, and i mean THANK you.
> > sincerely
> > Christopher
>
> That depends on the format in which  you were working: if you were working
> in .doc format, simply change the file extensions of the found files to
> .doc and see if they open with any degree of correctness.  If you were
> working in .odt format, I think you are out of luck.
>
> Also, when writing, are you pressing Enter or Shift Enter to mark the end
> of a paragraph?  Enter is the correct method; Shift Enter displays
> correctly onscreen, but internally OpenOffice interprets it as a
> continuation character, so it treats the text as one large paragraph.  For
> reasons programmers will understand, OpenOffice allows only 64K characters
> in a paragraph and starts to act funny if that is the case.  So use Enter.

> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Dear Users and fellow writers. Free advice required.

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 09:49:25 +0100
christopher spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Rory,
>
> Thank you. A BIG thank you. The most helpful information I have received. I
> am really happy to have so much help. Rory you have educated me . Thank you.
> sincerely
> Christopher

The words of thanks are always welcome.  I suggest that if you have further problems you consult the OpenOffice Forum at

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/

Where most problems have been dealt with before, and where much useful help can be obtained, either on statement of a difficulty or by searching the Forum for a previous solution.  It also contains a number of useful tutorials which may answer a difficulty before you actually run into it.

Rory

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>