Dev-m2 on macOS

Larry Gusaas-4
Downloaded Apache_OpenOffice_Dev_4.2.0_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US from
https://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/AOO-dev-50c544e5/

Spellcheck does not work. Nothing is marked incorrect. Checked using both Canadian and US
language setting. Changed my user profile to the one I'm using with 4.1.7. Still didn't work.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 17:33:54 -0600
Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Downloaded Apache_OpenOffice_Dev_4.2.0_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US from
> https://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/AOO-dev-50c544e5/
>
> Spellcheck does not work. Nothing is marked incorrect. Checked using both Canadian and US
> language setting. Changed my user profile to the one I'm using with 4.1.7. Still didn't work.
>

> --
> _________________________________
>
> Larry I. Gusaas

The initial check: does the chosen language show in the middle of the status bar?

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2020-07-06 12:15 a.m., Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 17:33:54 -0600
> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Downloaded Apache_OpenOffice_Dev_4.2.0_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US from
>> https://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/AOO-dev-50c544e5/
>>
>> Spellcheck does not work. Nothing is marked incorrect. Checked using both Canadian and US
>> language setting. Changed my user profile to the one I'm using with 4.1.7. Still didn't work.
>>

>> --
>> _________________________________
>>
>> Larry I. Gusaas
> The initial check: does the chosen language show in the middle of the status bar?

Yes. It is English (Canada).

In extension manager: "English spelling, hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus 2020.07.01"
installed.

In Preferences/Language Settings/Language: Language of/Locale setting: Default - English (Canada)

Aha: Here's the problem:

In Preferences/Language Settings/Writing Aids/Available language modules: No spellcheck modules
listed.

In AOO 4.1.7 I have Hunspell SpellChecker & Mac OS X Spell Checker listed

If I copy my user profile from AOO 4.1.7 into AOO Dev-m2 I still have no spell checkers. listed.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 02:41:00 -0600
Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2020-07-06 12:15 a.m., Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 17:33:54 -0600
> > Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Downloaded Apache_OpenOffice_Dev_4.2.0_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US from
> >> https://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/AOO-dev-50c544e5/
> >>
> >> Spellcheck does not work. Nothing is marked incorrect. Checked using both Canadian and US
> >> language setting. Changed my user profile to the one I'm using with 4.1.7. Still didn't work.
> >>

> >> --
> >> _________________________________
> >>
> >> Larry I. Gusaas
> > The initial check: does the chosen language show in the middle of the status bar?
> >
> Yes. It is English (Canada).
>
> In extension manager: "English spelling, hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus 2020.07.01"
> installed.
>
> In Preferences/Language Settings/Language: Language of/Locale setting: Default - English (Canada)
>

> Aha: Here's the problem:
>
> In Preferences/Language Settings/Writing Aids/Available language modules: No spellcheck modules
> listed.
>
> In AOO 4.1.7 I have Hunspell SpellChecker & Mac OS X Spell Checker listed
>
> If I copy my user profile from AOO 4.1.7 into AOO Dev-m2 I still have no spell checkers. listed.

I'm not into the OpenOffice code, but am asking questions answers to which I have learned from Forum are helpful.  I presume hunspell is (or ought) be installed on your Mac.  in linux,
"locate hunspell" in a terminal shows its locations. Can you confirm, with a Mac equivalent command, if hunspell is installed on your Mac, and its locations?  The problem is possibly the incorrect configuration of a file path in the code.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2020-07-06 3:03 a.m., Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 02:41:00 -0600
> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-07-06 12:15 a.m., Rory O'Farrell wrote:

>>> The initial check: does the chosen language show in the middle of the status bar?
>>>
>> Yes. It is English (Canada).
>>
>> In extension manager: "English spelling, hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus 2020.07.01"
>> installed.
>>
>> In Preferences/Language Settings/Language: Language of/Locale setting: Default - English (Canada)
>>

>> Aha: Here's the problem:
>>
>> In Preferences/Language Settings/Writing Aids/Available language modules: No spellcheck modules
>> listed.
>>
>> In AOO 4.1.7 I have Hunspell SpellChecker & Mac OS X Spell Checker listed
>>
>> If I copy my user profile from AOO 4.1.7 into AOO Dev-m2 I still have no spell checkers. listed.
> I'm not into the OpenOffice code, but am asking questions answers to which I have learned from Forum are helpful.  I presume hunspell is (or ought) be installed on your Mac.  in linux,
> "locate hunspell" in a terminal shows its locations. Can you confirm, with a Mac equivalent command, if hunspell is installed on your Mac, and its locations?  The problem is possibly the incorrect configuration of a file path in the code.

I don't know the terminal commands to search for "hunspell".

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

David Robley

On 6/7/20 9:28 pm, Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 2020-07-06 3:03 a.m., Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 02:41:00 -0600
>> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes. It is English (Canada).
>>>
>>> In extension manager: "English spelling, hyphenation dictionaries
>>> and thesaurus 2020.07.01"
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> In Preferences/Language Settings/Language: Language of/Locale
>>> setting: Default - English (Canada)
>>>

>>> Aha: Here's the problem:
>>>
>>> In Preferences/Language Settings/Writing Aids/Available language
>>> modules: No spellcheck modules
>>> listed.
>>>
>>> In AOO 4.1.7 I have Hunspell SpellChecker & Mac OS X Spell Checker
>>> listed
>>>
>>> If I copy my user profile from AOO 4.1.7 into AOO Dev-m2 I still
>>> have no spell checkers. listed.
>> I'm not into the OpenOffice code, but am asking questions answers to
>> which I have learned from Forum are helpful.  I presume hunspell is
>> (or ought) be installed on your Mac.  in linux,
>> "locate hunspell" in a terminal shows its locations. Can you confirm,
>> with a Mac equivalent command, if hunspell is installed on your Mac,
>> and its locations?  The problem is possibly the incorrect
>> configuration of a file path in the code.
>>

> I don't know the terminal commands to search for "hunspell".

https://osxdaily.com/2011/11/02/enable-and-use-the-locate-command-in-the-mac-os-x-terminal/

Cheers
--
David Robley

All computers run at the same speed... with the power off.

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Matthias Seidel

Am 06.07.20 um 01:33 schrieb Larry Gusaas:
> Downloaded Apache_OpenOffice_Dev_4.2.0_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US from
> https://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/AOO-dev-50c544e5/
>
> Spellcheck does not work. Nothing is marked incorrect. Checked using
> both Canadian and US language setting. Changed my user profile to the
> one I'm using with 4.1.7. Still didn't work.

I forgot to mention it, but when I had the (short) opportunity to test
the German version (Dev-m1) on a mac, spellcheck didn't work either.

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2020-07-06 3:03 a.m., Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 02:41:00 -0600
> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-07-06 12:15 a.m., Rory O'Farrell wrote:

>>> The initial check: does the chosen language show in the middle of the status bar?
>>>
>> Yes. It is English (Canada).
>>
>> In extension manager: "English spelling, hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus 2020.07.01"
>> installed.
>>
>> In Preferences/Language Settings/Language: Language of/Locale setting: Default - English (Canada)
>>

>> Aha: Here's the problem:
>>
>> In Preferences/Language Settings/Writing Aids/Available language modules: No spellcheck modules
>> listed.
>>
>> In AOO 4.1.7 I have Hunspell SpellChecker & Mac OS X Spell Checker listed
>>
>> If I copy my user profile from AOO 4.1.7 into AOO Dev-m2 I still have no spell checkers. listed.
> I'm not into the OpenOffice code, but am asking questions answers to which I have learned from Forum are helpful.  I presume hunspell is (or ought) be installed on your Mac.  in linux,
> "locate hunspell" in a terminal shows its locations. Can you confirm, with a Mac equivalent command, if hunspell is installed on your Mac, and its locations?  The problem is possibly the incorrect configuration of a file path in the code.

Since spellcheck works in AOO 4.1.7 that word indicate that hunspell is installed on my Mac. I
checked in terminal and confirmed it is installed.

I also tried Dev-m2 on my production MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14 Mojave. (I have macOS
10.15 Catalina on this MacBook Pro) to check if it was a compatibility problem with the latest
macOS.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Peter Kovacs-3

Am 08.07.20 um 20:50 schrieb Larry Gusaas:

> On 2020-07-06 3:03 a.m., Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 02:41:00 -0600
>> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes. It is English (Canada).
>>>
>>> In extension manager: "English spelling, hyphenation dictionaries
>>> and thesaurus 2020.07.01"
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> In Preferences/Language Settings/Language: Language of/Locale
>>> setting: Default - English (Canada)
>>>

>>> Aha: Here's the problem:
>>>
>>> In Preferences/Language Settings/Writing Aids/Available language
>>> modules: No spellcheck modules
>>> listed.
>>>
>>> In AOO 4.1.7 I have Hunspell SpellChecker & Mac OS X Spell Checker
>>> listed
>>>
>>> If I copy my user profile from AOO 4.1.7 into AOO Dev-m2 I still
>>> have no spell checkers. listed.
>> I'm not into the OpenOffice code, but am asking questions answers to
>> which I have learned from Forum are helpful.  I presume hunspell is
>> (or ought) be installed on your Mac.  in linux,
>> "locate hunspell" in a terminal shows its locations. Can you confirm,
>> with a Mac equivalent command, if hunspell is installed on your Mac,
>> and its locations?  The problem is possibly the incorrect
>> configuration of a file path in the code.
>>
> Since spellcheck works in AOO 4.1.7 that word indicate that hunspell
> is installed on my Mac. I checked in terminal and confirmed it is
> installed.
>

> I also tried Dev-m2 on my production MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14
> Mojave. (I have macOS 10.15 Catalina on this MacBook Pro) to check if
> it was a compatibility problem with the latest macOS.
Maybe we have a general issue with extensions on 4.2.0? I mean other
extensions crash AOO. And if hunspell is not working, maybe it does not
crash but just does not work?

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Keith N. McKenna
On 7/8/2020 3:15 PM, Peter wrote:

> Am 08.07.20 um 20:50 schrieb Larry Gusaas:
>> On 2020-07-06 3:03 a.m., Rory O'Farrell wrote:

>>> I'm not into the OpenOffice code, but am asking questions answers to
>>> which I have learned from Forum are helpful.  I presume hunspell is
>>> (or ought) be installed on your Mac.  in linux,
>>> "locate hunspell" in a terminal shows its locations. Can you confirm,
>>> with a Mac equivalent command, if hunspell is installed on your Mac,
>>> and its locations?  The problem is possibly the incorrect
>>> configuration of a file path in the code.
>>>
>> Since spellcheck works in AOO 4.1.7 that word indicate that hunspell
>> is installed on my Mac. I checked in terminal and confirmed it is
>> installed.
>>

>> I also tried Dev-m2 on my production MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14
>> Mojave. (I have macOS 10.15 Catalina on this MacBook Pro) to check if
>> it was a compatibility problem with the latest macOS.
> Maybe we have a general issue with extensions on 4.2.0? I mean other
> extensions crash AOO. And if hunspell is not working, maybe it does not
> crash but just does not work?
I just checked the Windows Version of AOO 4.2.0 I have been going
through and the Spell Check works fine. I will load the other extensions
that I have installed on 4.1.7 and check them as well.

Regards
Keith

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Matthias Seidel
Hi Keith,

Am 15.07.20 um 17:24 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
> On 7/8/2020 3:15 PM, Peter wrote:
>> Maybe we have a general issue with extensions on 4.2.0? I mean other
>> extensions crash AOO. And if hunspell is not working, maybe it does not
>> crash but just does not work?
> I just checked the Windows Version of AOO 4.2.0 I have been going
> through and the Spell Check works fine. I will load the other extensions
> that I have installed on 4.1.7 and check them as well.

On Windows can you please try:

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder

and

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdf-import-apache-openoffice

Regards,

   Matthias

On 7/15/2020 12:01 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> Am 15.07.20 um 17:24 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
>> On 7/8/2020 3:15 PM, Peter wrote:
>>> Maybe we have a general issue with extensions on 4.2.0? I mean other
>>> extensions crash AOO. And if hunspell is not working, maybe it does not
>>> crash but just does not work?
>> I just checked the Windows Version of AOO 4.2.0 I have been going
>> through and the Spell Check works fine. I will load the other extensions
>> that I have installed on 4.1.7 and check them as well.
>
> On Windows can you please try:
>
> https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder
>
> and
>
> https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdf-import-apache-openoffice
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

Hi Matthias;

Sorry for taking so long to get back on this. This message slipt by me
on gmane and just saw it. I tried to install both the above extension
into 4.2.0-dev-2 and both exhibit the same problem. They start to
install and then immediately freeze AOO and it can only be closed by a
force quit through task manager.

Regards
Keith

Re: Dev-m2 on macOS

Matthias Seidel
Hi Keith,

Am 07.08.20 um 00:20 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:

> On 7/15/2020 12:01 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Keith,

>>> I just checked the Windows Version of AOO 4.2.0 I have been going
>>> through and the Spell Check works fine. I will load the other extensions
>>> that I have installed on 4.1.7 and check them as well.
>> On Windows can you please try:
>>
>> https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder
>>
>> and
>>
>> https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdf-import-apache-openoffice
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
> Hi Matthias;
>
> Sorry for taking so long to get back on this. This message slipt by me
> on gmane and just saw it. I tried to install both the above extension
> into 4.2.0-dev-2 and both exhibit the same problem. They start to
> install and then immediately freeze AOO and it can only be closed by a
> force quit through task manager.
Exactly what I see...

And there are many more. Since they do work on 4.1.x that makes it a
regression.

Regards,

   Matthias