Development with the UNO framework

Roger Blum
Hi openoffice developers,

I have a rather general question about the possibility to use the UNO
framework for the development of a client/server application (stand alone,
not as part of openoffice).

I 'm currently looking for a framework to use for the development of a
client/server application to process/analyze tabular data with (among
others) the following properties:
- use of different data sources (different DBMS, local and remote files in
different formats)
- handling of large datasets (millions of records)
- different clients (local and remote GUI, web)
- generate textual and graphical reports
- extensibility through plugins

Does UNO provide all the functionality to develop this kind of application?
Do you know of an other FREE framework that is more suited for what I intend
to do?

Thanks for your help,
Roger

Re: Development with the UNO framework

Cédric Bosdonnat
Hi Roger,

Roger Blum a écrit :

> I have a rather general question about the possibility to use the UNO
> framework for the development of a client/server application (stand alone,
> not as part of openoffice).

Thus UNO will be used thanks to the URE (UNO Runtime Environment).

> I 'm currently looking for a framework to use for the development of a
> client/server application to process/analyze tabular data with (among
> others) the following properties:
> - use of different data sources (different DBMS, local and remote files in
> different formats)
> - handling of large datasets (millions of records)
> - different clients (local and remote GUI, web)
> - generate textual and graphical reports
> - extensibility through plugins

There are many C++ and Java libraries performing some of these tasks
(may be python too).

> Does UNO provide all the functionality to develop this kind of application?
> Do you know of an other FREE framework that is more suited for what I intend
> to do?

UNO and the URE will not bring you a direct support of different
clients, or generate reports. In your case UNO will be used as Corba or
ICE. That is that your framework can be split into components performing
specific tasks (eg, reporting component, GUI components, ...) and they
will expose an API which can be used by anyother component in different
implementation languages, or on different machines. You can even
establish a connection to a UNO environment throught a network, but I
never tested it with the URE...

Here is some documentation about the URE and UNO:
http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/cedric_bosdonnat/2005_12_07_creating-an-ure
http://development.openoffice.org/servlets/GetAttachment?list=contest&msgId=2598090&attachId=1
http://api.openoffice.org/docs/DevelopersGuide/ProfUNO/ProfUNO.xhtml
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/JavaEclipseTuto

I'm currently working on an Eclipse plugin to support development of UNO
components. For the moment it works only with an OpenOffice.org
installation and Java implementation, but I planned to support the URE
before June (C++ will come later).

I hope this could help you to make your decision.
Cedric

Re: Development with the UNO framework

Roger Blum
Hi Cedric,

Thanks for your reply.

"Cedric Bosdonnat" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi Roger,
>
> Roger Blum a écrit :
>
>> I have a rather general question about the possibility to use the UNO
>> framework for the development of a client/server application (stand
>> alone,
>> not as part of openoffice).
>
> Thus UNO will be used thanks to the URE (UNO Runtime Environment).

This is correct.

>> I 'm currently looking for a framework to use for the development of a
>> client/server application to process/analyze tabular data with (among
>> others) the following properties:
>> - use of different data sources (different DBMS, local and remote files
>> in
>> different formats)
>> - handling of large datasets (millions of records)
>> - different clients (local and remote GUI, web)
>> - generate textual and graphical reports
>> - extensibility through plugins
>
> There are many C++ and Java libraries performing some of these tasks
> (may be python too).

I am aware that there are other libraries that can do part of what I will
need. But I have found no other framework delivering all the functionality.
I would have to use several different libraries and I really prefer to have
just one. I 've also checked out QT but it's non-free licensing model (for
closed source commercial development) makes it impossible to use it. Do you
know about other freely available frameworks with comparable functionality?

>> Does UNO provide all the functionality to develop this kind of
>> application?
>> Do you know of an other FREE framework that is more suited for what I
>> intend
>> to do?
>
> UNO and the URE will not bring you a direct support of different
> clients, or generate reports. In your case UNO will be used as Corba or
> ICE. That is that your framework can be split into components performing
> specific tasks (eg, reporting component, GUI components, ...) and they
> will expose an API which can be used by anyother component in different
> implementation languages, or on different machines. You can even
> establish a connection to a UNO environment throught a network, but I
> never tested it with the URE...

I hope to get more than just an object broker and the possibility of
distributed execution of the components. In fact I see the main advantage in
reusing existing components for a lot of tasks (accessing data sources,
generating charts, generating textual/graphical reports, etc.). Do I need an
OOo installation for this or can the components bundeled as libraries when
deploying the application?

> Here is some documentation about the URE and UNO:
> http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/cedric_bosdonnat/2005_12_07_creating-an-ure
> http://development.openoffice.org/servlets/GetAttachment?list=contest&msgId=2598090&attachId=1
> http://api.openoffice.org/docs/DevelopersGuide/ProfUNO/ProfUNO.xhtml
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/JavaEclipseTuto

Thanks for the links, I have checked them out and there seems to be at least
some information around. Do you know of anybody who uses UNO for this kind
of development or is it only used as part of OOo?

> I'm currently working on an Eclipse plugin to support development of UNO
> components. For the moment it works only with an OpenOffice.org
> installation and Java implementation, but I planned to support the URE
> before June (C++ will come later).

I sure will have a look at your plugin from time to time. As development
will be in C++ I hope C++ support will be there soon.

> I hope this could help you to make your decision.
> Cedric

Thanks again,
Roger

Re: Re: Development with the UNO framework

Cédric Bosdonnat
Hi Roger,

Roger Blum a écrit :
> I am aware that there are other libraries that can do part of what I will
> need. But I have found no other framework delivering all the functionality.
> I would have to use several different libraries and I really prefer to have
> just one. I 've also checked out QT but it's non-free licensing model (for
> closed source commercial development) makes it impossible to use it. Do you
> know about other freely available frameworks with comparable functionality?

I'm not aware of such a free framework, but I would expect to have to
assemble several libraries in order to do this. In such a case, I would
certainly prefer an architecture based on an Object Broker which let
access to several components.

I already know people doing this using CORBA.

> I hope to get more than just an object broker and the possibility of
> distributed execution of the components. In fact I see the main advantage in
> reusing existing components for a lot of tasks (accessing data sources,
> generating charts, generating textual/graphical reports, etc.). Do I need an
> OOo installation for this or can the components bundeled as libraries when
> deploying the application?

UNO and the URE will only provide you the object broker and I'm not sure
you can get a framework performing all what you need. Such a framework
will generally have to be composed by yourself as it's huge.

>> Here is some documentation about the URE and UNO:
>> http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/cedric_bosdonnat/2005_12_07_creating-an-ure
>> http://development.openoffice.org/servlets/GetAttachment?list=contest&msgId=2598090&attachId=1
>> http://api.openoffice.org/docs/DevelopersGuide/ProfUNO/ProfUNO.xhtml
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/JavaEclipseTuto
>>
> Thanks for the links, I have checked them out and there seems to be at least
> some information around. Do you know of anybody who uses UNO for this kind
> of development or is it only used as part of OOo?

I already used UNO as an object broker.

> I sure will have a look at your plugin from time to time. As development
> will be in C++ I hope C++ support will be there soon.

I hope to show a start of the C++ support at the OOoCon2006 in september

Cedric

PS: perhaps this should be continued by private email?

Re: Re: Development with the UNO framework

Juergen Schmidt-3
Hi Roger,

Roger Blum wrote:

> Hi Cedric,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> "Cedric Bosdonnat" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[hidden email]...
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> Roger Blum a écrit :
>>
>>> I have a rather general question about the possibility to use the UNO
>>> framework for the development of a client/server application (stand
>>> alone,
>>> not as part of openoffice).
>> Thus UNO will be used thanks to the URE (UNO Runtime Environment).
>
> This is correct.
>
>>> I 'm currently looking for a framework to use for the development of a
>>> client/server application to process/analyze tabular data with (among
>>> others) the following properties:
>>> - use of different data sources (different DBMS, local and remote files
>>> in
>>> different formats)
>>> - handling of large datasets (millions of records)
>>> - different clients (local and remote GUI, web)
>>> - generate textual and graphical reports
>>> - extensibility through plugins
>> There are many C++ and Java libraries performing some of these tasks
>> (may be python too).
>
> I am aware that there are other libraries that can do part of what I will
> need. But I have found no other framework delivering all the functionality.
> I would have to use several different libraries and I really prefer to have
> just one. I 've also checked out QT but it's non-free licensing model (for
> closed source commercial development) makes it impossible to use it. Do you
> know about other freely available frameworks with comparable functionality?
>
>>> Does UNO provide all the functionality to develop this kind of
>>> application?
>>> Do you know of an other FREE framework that is more suited for what I
>>> intend
>>> to do?
>> UNO and the URE will not bring you a direct support of different
>> clients, or generate reports. In your case UNO will be used as Corba or
>> ICE. That is that your framework can be split into components performing
>> specific tasks (eg, reporting component, GUI components, ...) and they
>> will expose an API which can be used by anyother component in different
>> implementation languages, or on different machines. You can even
>> establish a connection to a UNO environment throught a network, but I
>> never tested it with the URE...
>
> I hope to get more than just an object broker and the possibility of
> distributed execution of the components. In fact I see the main advantage in
> reusing existing components for a lot of tasks (accessing data sources,
> generating charts, generating textual/graphical reports, etc.). Do I need an
> OOo installation for this or can the components bundeled as libraries when
> deploying the application?
yes, at the moment you need an OOo installation for a lot of functions
like charts, textual/graphical reports etc. The URE supports only the
core UNO functionality with some basic components/helpers to support a
working component framework (middleware).
You describe (and you would like to use) a future picture where an URE
is the central entry point where service providers have registered there
components (functionality) and other components (applications) can use it.
Currently it is only possible to use an OOo installation running as a
server and use it as an central UNO ORB to get and use the offered
functionality.

>> Here is some documentation about the URE and UNO:
>> http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/cedric_bosdonnat/2005_12_07_creating-an-ure
>> http://development.openoffice.org/servlets/GetAttachment?list=contest&msgId=2598090&attachId=1
>> http://api.openoffice.org/docs/DevelopersGuide/ProfUNO/ProfUNO.xhtml
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/JavaEclipseTuto
>>
> Thanks for the links, I have checked them out and there seems to be at least
> some information around. Do you know of anybody who uses UNO for this kind
> of development or is it only used as part of OOo?

An external company use UNO (the URE) as the component technology for
there own software system (framework of distributed components). They
did an independent search for component technology on the net and
started an independent evaluation of features and performance of several
   technologies (CORBA, XPCOM and some others). And the result was that
they came back to us becasue UNO offers the best performance for their
use cases and the best feature set.

>> I'm currently working on an Eclipse plugin to support development of UNO
>> components. For the moment it works only with an OpenOffice.org
>> installation and Java implementation, but I planned to support the URE
>> before June (C++ will come later).
>>

> I sure will have a look at your plugin from time to time. As development
> will be in C++ I hope C++ support will be there soon.

I hope that we can provide a similar support for NetBeans as well. An
offical  C++ plugin for NetBeans is planned for NetBeans 5.5 as far as i
know and i we are working on a general plugin for NetBeans.

Juergen

>> I hope this could help you to make your decision.
>> Cedric
>
> Thanks again,
> Roger

Re: Re: Development with the UNO framework

Roger Blum
Hi Jürgen and Cedric,

Thanks for your replies. After knowing all these restictions I suppose
UNO/URE is not suitbale for my needs as I do not want to / cannot force the
user of my aplication to install OOo. To bad.
I probably will have to look for different libraries providing the needed
functionality.

Thanks again,
Roger

news:e3pgmi$cgm$[hidden email]...