Dialog Mockup

Andre Wyrwa
Hei,

a long time ago i wrote about the need to make the dialogs more
attractive and efficient.

I'm now using Glade to make some simple mockups, trying to find ways for
improvement that are merely based on a bit of restructuring and could
hence be implemented within the 2.x series.

A first shot is here [1]. The major benefits are the joining of some
tabs and the implementation of some icons, which causes visual
association (from i.e. the toolbar) to aid in spotting wanted options
more easily.

[1] http://wyrfel.reukauf.com/hosting/OOo/UI/DialogMod_1.png

André.

Re: Dialog Mockup

Oliver Specht - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
André Wyrwa wrote:

> Hei,
>
> a long time ago i wrote about the need to make the dialogs more
> attractive and efficient.
>
> I'm now using Glade to make some simple mockups, trying to find ways for
> improvement that are merely based on a bit of restructuring and could
> hence be implemented within the 2.x series.
>
> A first shot is here [1]. The major benefits are the joining of some
> tabs and the implementation of some icons, which causes visual
> association (from i.e. the toolbar) to aid in spotting wanted options
> more easily.
>
> [1] http://wyrfel.reukauf.com/hosting/OOo/UI/DialogMod_1.png
>
> André.

Hi,
I propose to move the discussion about dialog design to the User
Experience project and their mailing list [hidden email]

BTW the vertical alignment in your mockup misses the 'Automatic' setting.

Regards,
Oliver

Re: [ux-discuss] Re: [ui-dev] Dialog Mockup

Christian Jansen
Hello Hei,
thanks for the Mock-Up.

 From my point of view this dialog heads into the right direction.

I like the location of the Help-Button, the bold headings and the use of
Buttons in combination with icons, and of coarse the approach of saving
space.

Generally I think that you could decrease the width of the spin-boxes
and I'm not sure if there is a need for the horizontal separators
located between "Indents & Spacing" and "Spacing & Line Spacing"

The "Hide" Button for the Preview makes also sense. Where is it located
if the preview got turned off?

Regards,
Christian

Oliver Specht - Sun Germany -Hamburg wrote:

> André Wyrwa wrote:
>> Hei,
>>
>> a long time ago i wrote about the need to make the dialogs more
>> attractive and efficient.
>>
>> I'm now using Glade to make some simple mockups, trying to find ways for
>> improvement that are merely based on a bit of restructuring and could
>> hence be implemented within the 2.x series.
>>
>> A first shot is here [1]. The major benefits are the joining of some
>> tabs and the implementation of some icons, which causes visual
>> association (from i.e. the toolbar) to aid in spotting wanted options
>> more easily.
>>
>> [1] http://wyrfel.reukauf.com/hosting/OOo/UI/DialogMod_1.png
>>
>> André.
>>

> Hi,
> I propose to move the discussion about dialog design to the User
> Experience project and their mailing list [hidden email]
>
> BTW the vertical alignment in your mockup misses the 'Automatic' setting.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

Sun Microsystems GmbH                Christian Jansen
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience Engineer
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 884
Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
http://www.sun.com                   mailto:[hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,Sonnenallee 1,
D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten, Amtsgericht Muenchen:  HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels,
Dr. Roland Boemer, Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering

Re: Re: [ux-discuss] Re: [ui-dev] Dialog Mockup

Vincent - D. Ertner
Hallo,

[10.04.2007]

> Hello Hei, thanks for the Mock-Up.

Yeah, really great ...

>  From my point of view this dialog heads into the right direction.

Maybe there should be a platform where everybody could contribute such
mockups?

My vision would be to have some kind of CMS / Wiki / something where
you could upload a mockup and let the users vote for the best
impression of a mockup - that would really bind ppl to OpenOffice.org

Just my two cents :)

--
Cheers,

Vince

 ô¿ô   (=°o°=)   World Domination by Copy and Paste