Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Alexandro Colorado-3
There has been some issues installing custom dictionaries, they are
installing correctly but there is no way to find them on the dictionaries
options. Can I get verification on this bug.

1. Download a dictionary .oxt
2. Install through unopkg or Extension manager
3. Install succesfully
4. Go to Options -> Language Aids -> General
5. Select the dictionary --- the dictionary doesn't show with the checkmark.

Please let me know if I should forward this if this is not the right list. I
was tempted to go to lingucomponents but there doesnt seem to be much
traffic there.

Regards.

here is some of my research:

The extension gets installed under these paths:
~/.
openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/bJTezF_/es_MX.oxt/es_MX.aff
dictionaries.xcu has the following path:
*%origin%es_MX.aff*
on the stock dictionaries which are systemwide:
/opt/openoffice.org3/share/extensions/dict-es/es_ES.aff

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Thomas Lange - Oracle
Hi,

On 01.02.2011 00:00, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> There has been some issues installing custom dictionaries, they are
> installing correctly but there is no way to find them on the dictionaries
> options. Can I get verification on this bug.
>
> 1. Download a dictionary .oxt
> 2. Install through unopkg or Extension manager
> 3. Install succesfully
> 4. Go to Options -> Language Aids -> General
> 5. Select the dictionary --- the dictionary doesn't show with the checkmark.
>
> Please let me know if I should forward this if this is not the right list. I
> was tempted to go to lingucomponents but there doesnt seem to be much
> traffic there.
>
> Regards.
>
> here is some of my research:
>
> The extension gets installed under these paths:
> ~/.
> openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/bJTezF_/es_MX.oxt/es_MX.aff
> dictionaries.xcu has the following path:
> *%origin%es_MX.aff*
> on the stock dictionaries which are systemwide:
> /opt/openoffice.org3/share/extensions/dict-es/es_ES.aff

So far I am not aware of any such issue in OOo or Oracle OpenOffice.
The only place where I have seen such issues repeatedly is on the LO
mailing list. Thus it may be a LO problem only.

TL->SBA: Do you know of any problem like this in OOo?

Thomas

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Alexandro Colorado-3
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Thomas Lange <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 01.02.2011 00:00, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
> > There has been some issues installing custom dictionaries, they are
> > installing correctly but there is no way to find them on the dictionaries
> > options. Can I get verification on this bug.
> >
> > 1. Download a dictionary .oxt
> > 2. Install through unopkg or Extension manager
> > 3. Install succesfully
> > 4. Go to Options -> Language Aids -> General
> > 5. Select the dictionary --- the dictionary doesn't show with the
> checkmark.
> >
> > Please let me know if I should forward this if this is not the right
> list. I
> > was tempted to go to lingucomponents but there doesnt seem to be much
> > traffic there.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > here is some of my research:
> >
> > The extension gets installed under these paths:
> > ~/.
> >
> openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/bJTezF_/es_MX.oxt/es_MX.aff
> > dictionaries.xcu has the following path:
> > *%origin%es_MX.aff*
> > on the stock dictionaries which are systemwide:
> > /opt/openoffice.org3/share/extensions/dict-es/es_ES.aff
>
> So far I am not aware of any such issue in OOo or Oracle OpenOffice.
> The only place where I have seen such issues repeatedly is on the LO
> mailing list. Thus it may be a LO problem only.
>
> TL->SBA: Do you know of any problem like this in OOo?

Well, now you know.

> Thomas

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Thorsten Ziehm-2
Hi Alexandro,

On 02/01/11 08:53, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Thomas Lange <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 01.02.2011 00:00, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>>
>>> There has been some issues installing custom dictionaries, they are
>>> installing correctly but there is no way to find them on the dictionaries
>>> options. Can I get verification on this bug.
>>>
>>> 1. Download a dictionary .oxt
>>> 2. Install through unopkg or Extension manager
>>> 3. Install succesfully
>>> 4. Go to Options -> Language Aids -> General
>>> 5. Select the dictionary --- the dictionary doesn't show with the
>> checkmark.
>>> Please let me know if I should forward this if this is not the right
>> list. I
>>> was tempted to go to lingucomponents but there doesnt seem to be much
>>> traffic there.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> here is some of my research:
>>>
>>> The extension gets installed under these paths:
>>> ~/.
>>>
>> openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/bJTezF_/es_MX.oxt/es_MX.aff
>>> dictionaries.xcu has the following path:
>>> *%origin%es_MX.aff*
>>> on the stock dictionaries which are systemwide:
>>> /opt/openoffice.org3/share/extensions/dict-es/es_ES.aff
>> So far I am not aware of any such issue in OOo or Oracle OpenOffice.
>> The only place where I have seen such issues repeatedly is on the LO
>> mailing list. Thus it may be a LO problem only.
>>
>> TL->SBA: Do you know of any problem like this in OOo?
>>

> Well, now you know.

Please write an issue, attach a dictionary where the problem exists and
send it to owner SBA. This is the best way to address such a problem.

Thorsten

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Thomas Lange - Oracle

Hi Alexandro,

On 01.02.2011 08:53, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Thomas Lange <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On 01.02.2011 00:00, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
>     > There has been some issues installing custom dictionaries, they are
>     > installing correctly but there is no way to find them on the
>     dictionaries
>     > options. Can I get verification on this bug.
>     >
>     > 1. Download a dictionary .oxt
>     > 2. Install through unopkg or Extension manager
>     > 3. Install succesfully
>     > 4. Go to Options -> Language Aids -> General
>     > 5. Select the dictionary --- the dictionary doesn't show with the
>     checkmark.
>     >
>     > Please let me know if I should forward this if this is not the
>     right list. I
>     > was tempted to go to lingucomponents but there doesnt seem to be much
>     > traffic there.
>     >
>     > Regards.
>     >
>     > here is some of my research:
>     >
>     > The extension gets installed under these paths:
>     > ~/.
>     >
>     openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/bJTezF_/es_MX.oxt/es_MX.aff
>     <http://openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/bJTezF_/es_MX.oxt/es_MX.aff>
>     > dictionaries.xcu has the following path:
>     > *%origin%es_MX.aff*
>     > on the stock dictionaries which are systemwide:
>     > /opt/openoffice.org3/share/extensions/dict-es/es_ES.aff
>
>     So far I am not aware of any such issue in OOo or Oracle OpenOffice.
>     The only place where I have seen such issues repeatedly is on the LO
>     mailing list. Thus it may be a LO problem only.
>
>     TL->SBA: Do you know of any problem like this in OOo?
>

> Well, now you know.

I can not not confirm this. I tried to verify the problem by
1) Installing OracleOpenOffice 3.3
1b) getting rid of the Windows quickstarter
2) downloading the following dictionaries from
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries to disk:
  - Slovenian
  - Latvian
  - Irish
  - Hungarian
  - Breton
  - Basque
3) For each of the dictionaries I did the following
  - start OOO
  - Install the dictionary as 'for this user only' via the
    Extension Manager dialog
  - exiting OOO
  - restarting OOO
  - open a text document and typing some random text
  - set the language of the typed text to the latest
    installed dictionary
  - checking that the random text got marked as incorrect

For all 6 dictionaries I had no problem with this approach.

Do you do something differently? What platform and OOo version are you
using?

Regards,
Thomas

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Alexandro Colorado-3
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:06 AM, Thorsten Ziehm <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Alexandro,
>

> On 02/01/11 08:53, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Thomas Lange <[hidden email]
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> On 01.02.2011 00:00, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>>>
>>>  There has been some issues installing custom dictionaries, they are

>>> checkmark.

>>> list. I

>>> openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/bJTezF_/es_MX.oxt/es_MX.aff

>>> So far I am not aware of any such issue in OOo or Oracle OpenOffice.
>>> The only place where I have seen such issues repeatedly is on the LO
>>> mailing list. Thus it may be a LO problem only.
>>>
>>> TL->SBA: Do you know of any problem like this in OOo?
>>>

>> Well, now you know.
>>

> Please write an issue, attach a dictionary where the problem exists and
> send it to owner SBA. This is the best way to address such a problem.

Issue posted #116743

> Thorsten

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Thomas Lange - Oracle

Hi again,

On 01.02.2011 09:29, Thomas Lange wrote:1

> Hi Alexandro,
>
> On 01.02.2011 08:53, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>>     openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/bJTezF_/es_MX.oxt/es_MX.aff
>>     <http://openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/bJTezF_/es_MX.oxt/es_MX.aff>
>>     > dictionaries.xcu has the following path:
>>     > *%origin%es_MX.aff*
>>     > on the stock dictionaries which are systemwide:
>>     > /opt/openoffice.org3/share/extensions/dict-es/es_ES.aff

Now I also took a closer look at the mexican dictionary you mentioned
specifically. And yes this extension does not get installed at all. (You
can verify this by searching the user profile and installation
directories for the extension name.) And there is no message about any
problem with it.

Looking at the Dictionaries.xcu of that extension I can see no problem
with it at first glance. Also the locale 'en-MX' is the correct one.
However since all the other dictionaries work just fine I'm confident
that the problem lies with this very extension. A close comparison with
one of the working extension should be help in identifying the problem(s).

Regards,
Thomas

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Stephan Bergmann-2
On 02/01/11 08:53, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> TL->SBA: Do you know of any problem like this in OOo?
>>

> Well, now you know.

See the dev@ooo branch of this mail thread for an analysis of the problem.

-Stephan

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Martin Srebotnjak
2011/2/1 Stephan Bergmann <[hidden email]>

> See the dev@ooo branch of this mail thread for an analysis of the problem.

What? Where is that mailing list? Can't you post just a summary of the
resolution of this bug here? Or do we have to subscribe to 7 mailing lists
to read about a single issue and understand what is going on? Can you make
it more user-unfriendly?

Lp, m.

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Stephan Bergmann-2
On 02/01/11 10:09, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
> 2011/2/1 Stephan Bergmann<[hidden email]>
>
>> See the dev@ooo branch of this mail thread for an analysis of the problem.
>>

> What? Where is that mailing list? Can't you post just a summary of the
> resolution of this bug here? Or do we have to subscribe to 7 mailing lists
> to read about a single issue and understand what is going on? Can you make
> it more user-unfriendly?

Alexandro's OP had as "To" recipients both the [hidden email]
and [hidden email] mailing lists.  Along the mail thread's way,
people started to reply to only one of the two mailing lists.  That way,
<http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=28550> only
made it to the [hidden email] mailing list.

Which goes to show that cross-posting is often not a very good idea.

-Stephan

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Alexandro Colorado-3
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Martin Srebotnjak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/2/1 Stephan Bergmann <[hidden email]>
>
> > See the dev@ooo branch of this mail thread for an analysis of the
> problem.
> >

> What? Where is that mailing list? Can't you post just a summary of the
> resolution of this bug here? Or do we have to subscribe to 7 mailing lists
> to read about a single issue and understand what is going on? Can you make
> it more user-unfriendly?
>
> Lp, m.

I guess it can be posted on the issuetracker. But it might be a malformed
XML from the look of it. However I am still not sure what the %origin%
environmental variable really points to since the absolute path generates
some weird directories

example, user instalation creates the following path:
/home/<usuario>/.openoffice.org/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/
_sdfERl/es_MX/es_MX.aff

this random name of a folder makes me wonder if extensions now are more
tightly controlled since they need to be registered. This would be a problem
for python extensions for example where you need to manually create the
files in the Scripts folder. (in case of a registered macros).

So before I can just add macros by simply inserting the py file on the
Script/python/ folder, but if we have a registry module, now this would be
impossible. But I guess that is a different issue all together.

Can I ask what is the reasoning for registering extensions and create random
paths?

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Alexandro Colorado-3
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Stephan Bergmann <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/01/11 10:09, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
>
>> 2011/2/1 Stephan Bergmann<[hidden email]>
>>
>>  See the dev@ooo branch of this mail thread for an analysis of the
>>> problem.
>>>

>>>  What? Where is that mailing list? Can't you post just a summary of the
>> resolution of this bug here? Or do we have to subscribe to 7 mailing lists
>> to read about a single issue and understand what is going on? Can you make
>> it more user-unfriendly?
>>

> Alexandro's OP had as "To" recipients both the [hidden email] and
> [hidden email] mailing lists.  Along the mail thread's way, people
> started to reply to only one of the two mailing lists.  That way, <
> http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=28550> only made
> it to the [hidden email] mailing list.
>
> Which goes to show that cross-posting is often not a very good idea.

Right I apologize but with so many ML and project overlapping is kind of
inevitable. l10n deal primarily with the UI/help localization and not with
the dictionaries, lingucomponents. However this seemed to be more of an
extension issue than a locale one. If this was an ISO code issue for example
then l10n would have had a play with the bug.

> -Stephan

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Dictionaries in OOo 3.3

Stephan Bergmann-2
On 02/01/11 10:22, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> I guess it can be posted on the issuetracker. But it might be a malformed
> XML from the look of it. However I am still not sure what the %origin%
> environmental variable really points to since the absolute path generates
> some weird directories

When the extension manager installs an extension xcu file, it textually
replaces each occurrence of %origin% within that file with a
(vnd.sun.star.expand) URL pointing to the root directory of the unpacked
extension within the file system.

> Can I ask what is the reasoning for registering extensions and create random
> paths?

Things have always been like this, from the beginning of the extension
manager.  If you need further information, you probably best ask on the
dev@ooo or [hidden email] mailing lists.

-Stephan