Different hash number when downloading Open Office en-US

Different hash number when downloading Open Office en-US

A. Scales Screensuccess
Hello,

  I have downloaded the exe file
"Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en-US" and the md5 file that
belongs to it.
When I upload the md5 file to the recommended websites I get a different
hash numbers to that in the exe file.

What should I do?

Regards,
Anthony

Re: Different hash number when downloading Open Office en-US

Brian Barker
At 16:27 28/07/2017 +0200, Anthony Scales wrote:
>I have downloaded the exe file
>"Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en-US" and the md5 file
>that belongs to it. When I upload the md5 file to the recommended
>websites I get a different hash numbers to that in the exe file.

You will, because you should not be submitting the MD5 file to
anything. The instructions at the web site are not entirely clear and
you seem to be misinterpreting them.

>What should I do?

Use whatever means you wish to process the (large) downloaded
installation file and derive its MD5 hash value. But don't also do
this with the MD5 file. Instead, open the MD5 file in a text editor:
it contains only the required comparison hash value and the name of
the relevant installation file. Compare the MD5 value from the
installation file with the *content* of the MD5 file. They need to match.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Different hash number when downloading Open Office en-US

Girvin Herr-2

On 07/28/2017 08:45 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 16:27 28/07/2017 +0200, Anthony Scales wrote:
>> I have downloaded the exe file
>> "Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en-US" and the md5 file that
>> belongs to it. When I upload the md5 file to the recommended websites
>> I get a different hash numbers to that in the exe file.
>
> You will, because you should not be submitting the MD5 file to
> anything. The instructions at the web site are not entirely clear and
> you seem to be misinterpreting them.
>
>> What should I do?
>
> Use whatever means you wish to process the (large) downloaded
> installation file and derive its MD5 hash value. But don't also do
> this with the MD5 file. Instead, open the MD5 file in a text editor:
> it contains only the required comparison hash value and the name of
> the relevant installation file. Compare the MD5 value from the
> installation file with the *content* of the MD5 file. They need to match.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Brian et al,
That is painful and error-prone. I know, I used to do it. Then I
automated the process:
md5sum --check --strict <md5-filename>
That uses the best tool, the computer, to do the checking and give a
yes/no result. Much better than verifying each and every character in
the long md5sum.
HTH.
Girvin Herr

At 11:49 28/07/2017 -0700, Girvin Herr wrote:
>That is painful and error-prone. I know, I used to do it. Then I
>automated the process:
>md5sum --check --strict <md5-filename>

The enquirer is using Windows 10. Are you suggesting that Windows 10
has such a routine? He could download and install Microsoft's File
Checksum Integrity Verifier (FCIV).

(In any case, his problem was believing that he had to compare the
hash of the download file with *the hash of* the MD5 file.)

Brian Barker