Difficulty to control printing of a Calc file

Difficulty to control printing of a Calc file

WA.TWORSX via AOL-2

AOO415m1(Build:9789) -  Rev. 18174962017-12-11 17:25

win10x64 home desktop

It seems that print-settings for my Calk file do not stick. (Wasted
several sheets of ink.) A change of page-breaks also causes a change of
scaling, or width, of the printed document. Is that normal?

Please, someone remind me of which slider control, near top  or near
bottom of screen, actually controls print-output scaling factor and
which controls the screen scale factor. I might be using the incorrect one.

Please be well and stay safe.

VinceB.

Re: Difficulty to control printing of a Calc file

Peter Kovacs-3
you can check this How To:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Calc/Printing/How_do_I_print_my_spreadsheets%3F

All the Best

Peter

Am 30.04.20 um 17:58 schrieb WA.TWORSX via AOL:

> AOO415m1(Build:9789) -  Rev. 18174962017-12-11 17:25
>
> win10x64 home desktop

> It seems that print-settings for my Calk file do not stick. (Wasted
> several sheets of ink.) A change of page-breaks also causes a change
> of scaling, or width, of the printed document. Is that normal?
>

> Please, someone remind me of which slider control, near top  or near
> bottom of screen, actually controls print-output scaling factor and
> which controls the screen scale factor. I might be using the incorrect
> one.
>

> Please be well and stay safe.
>

> VinceB.

Re: Difficulty to control printing of a Calc file

Brian Barker-2
At 11:58 30/04/2020 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>It seems that print-settings for my Calc file do not stick.

I think they should.

>(Wasted several sheets of ink.)

There are two solutions for that:

o Use File | Page Preview (or the Page Preview button in the Standard
toolbar) before actually printing. (You can adjust page formatting
from within Page Preview.)

o Another way is to install a virtual PDF printer: freeware versions
are available. You don't need this for creating PDF copies of your
documents, as OpenOffice includes the File | Export as PDF...
facility. But having a PDF creation facility masquerading as a
printer means that you can use the normal Print function to create a
PDF and inspect it before wasting paper and ink or toner.

>A change of page-breaks also causes a change of scaling, or width,
>of the printed document. Is that normal?

I think the answer is "No - by default". But it can be "Yes" if you
have chosen to set Format | Page... | Sheet | Scale | Scaling mode to
something other than "Reduce/enlarge printout". With other options
there, you will see automatic adjustments as you make other changes.
Try "Reduce/enlarge printout" and Scaling factor: 100% if in doubt.

>Please, someone remind me of which slider control, near top or near
>bottom of screen, actually controls print-output scaling factor and
>which controls the screen scale factor. I might be using the incorrect one.

I think the scaling mode and factor described above are the only
place where the output differs from what you have set up in your
actual spreadsheet. The screen scaling - which doesn't affect
printout - can be changed in various ways:

o Go to View | Zoom... . Experiment with the settings there to
produce the effect you prefer.

There are also two controls near the right end of the Status Bar, at
the bottom of the OpenOffice window. (You may need to toggle this on
at View | Status Bar):

o The Zoom slider allows you to adjust the zoom factor in alternative ways:
  + Click the button where you want it to appear,
  + Drag the button to the appropriate position,
  + Or click the "-" and "+" buttons as desired to increase or
decrease the zoom factor.

o Right-click the "Zoom percent" display in the corner and select an
option from the context menu.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Difficulty to control printing of a Calc file

Joost Andrae-2
Hi VinceB,

use the menu item /View/Page Break Preview/

In this view you can easily drag the blue lines displayed on the page
where you want to, eg. if you want to scale the content to one page
printouts then drag the right line of the "Page 1" line to the outer
right side.

Using the right mouse button within this view you can define manual
column or row breaks at any positon you want.

Or mark the content you want to print and press the right mouse button
and select the context menu item "Define Print Range"

Afterwards you can leave this "Page Break Preview" by selecting menu
item /View/Normal/
All settings are persistent until you close the document. If you save
the document this setting is persistent if you close and reopen the
document.

In menu item /File/Page Preview/ you can use the slider to scale the
document to something you want to look it like.

If page margins do not fit then you can control these in menu item
/Format/Page/ on the tab page "Page". Within this dialog click into one
of the fields Left, Right, Top or Bottom. If you now press the PageDown
button on your keyboard then the dialog automatically selects the
minimum setting for this page margin the operating system configured
printer driver supports.

Kind regards, Joost Andrae

Am 30.04.2020 um 17:58 schrieb WA.TWORSX via AOL:

> AOO415m1(Build:9789) -  Rev. 18174962017-12-11 17:25
>
> win10x64 home desktop

> It seems that print-settings for my Calk file do not stick. (Wasted
> several sheets of ink.) A change of page-breaks also causes a change of
> scaling, or width, of the printed document. Is that normal?
>

> Please, someone remind me of which slider control, near top  or near
> bottom of screen, actually controls print-output scaling factor and
> which controls the screen scale factor. I might be using the incorrect one.
>

> Please be well and stay safe.
>

> VinceB.

Re: Difficulty to control printing of a Calc file

WA.TWORSX via AOL-2
Hi Peter:

Thank you for providing that link, which I have quickly read through.  I
am trying to digest the info now.

Can you, (or anyone else,) verify that the sequence presented in that
article is the correct sequence of steps to be followed?

I can follow a procedure that has numbered steps, if given.

After generating the spreadsheet data for my Calc file, I:

 1. select _V_iew --_P_age Break Preview to set manual page breaks;
 2. select Format--Print Ranges to Define/Edit my required print range;
 3. select File--Printer Settings (usually double-sided printing);
 4. select Page Preview (for a final visual check);
 5. select _F_ile--Print, to my printer, (or Save as a PDF file via the
    Print dialog).

in that sequence. ........Should I change my sequence?

Suggestions are welcomed by me.

Regards,

VinceB.

On 4/30/2020 12:15 PM, Peter Kovacs wrote: t

> you can check this How To:
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Calc/Printing/How_do_I_print_my_spreadsheets%3F
>

> All the Best
>
> Peter
>
> Am 30.04.20 um 17:58 schrieb WA.TWORSX via AOL:
>>
>> AOO415m1(Build:9789) -  Rev. 18174962017-12-11 17:25
>>
>> win10x64 home desktop

>> It seems that print-settings for my Calk file do not stick. (Wasted
>> several sheets of ink.) A change of page-breaks also causes a change
>> of scaling, or width, of the printed document. Is that normal?
>>

>> Please, someone remind me of which slider control, near top  or near
>> bottom of screen, actually controls print-output scaling factor and
>> which controls the screen scale factor. I might be using the
>> incorrect one.
>>

>> Please be well and stay safe.
>>

>> VinceB.

Re: Difficulty to control printing of a Calc file

WA.TWORSX via AOL-2
Hi Brian:

I am still experimenting/learning here.

You have helped me to better understand how to make use of the Format |
Page... | Sheet | Scale | Scaling mode. I find that my document's
printed output appears correctly, or at least, to my satisfaction, at
this moment, when I use the setting of "Fit range width to width/height"
and use Width = 1 page and Height = 6 pages; and I don't need to do any
manual page breaks, in this case.

Thank you for leading me to further investigate the scaling mode options
and to discover where my mistakes/errors were introduced.  (The number
of operator's errors should now be fewer!)

Regards,

VinceB.