[Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

[Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

Maybe it is just me getting old. ;-)
But I would like to have the font size increased in AOO help. Not for
the headings, etc. but for the flowing text.

At the moment it is at 10pt and (especially on Windows) hard to read for me.
I would propose to increase it to 11pt.

To make the difference more visible, I made screenshots to compare:
https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO%20help%2010pt%20vs.%2011pt.pdf

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

> But I would like to have the font size increased in AOO help. Not for
> the headings, etc. but for the flowing text.
>
> At the moment it is at 10pt and (especially on Windows) hard
> to read for me.
> I would propose to increase it to 11pt.
>
> To make the difference more visible, I made screenshots to compare:
> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO%20help%2010pt%20vs.%2011pt.pdf
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

Do you know that you can change the font size in the help by CTRL + mouse wheel?

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

Matthias Seidel
Hi Jörg,

Am 21.07.2018 um 11:10 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> [...]
Yes, but that changes the size for every element (incl. headings).

Regards,
   Matthias

> greetings,
> Jörg

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

RE: [Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello Matthias, *,

I have no objection to change the font size from 10 to 11pt.

Jörg

Am 21.07.2018 um 11:35 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> Hello Matthias, *,

It would be a nice idea to make this overall zoom also available via
Ctrl +, Ctrl 0, Ctrl - and/or icons at the top of the help window.

But that is another project. ;-)

Regards,
   Matthias

> Jörg

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

Marcus (OOo)

> Maybe it is just me getting old. ;-)
> But I would like to have the font size increased in AOO help. Not for
> the headings, etc. but for the flowing text.
>
> At the moment it is at 10pt and (especially on Windows) hard to read for me.
> I would propose to increase it to 11pt.
>
> To make the difference more visible, I made screenshots to compare:
> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO%20help%2010pt%20vs.%2011pt.pdf

first I thought 10 or 11, is the difference really that big? But it is
indeed - thanks to your screenshot.

What about Linux and Mac, is the difference there also that big?

Nevertheless, I support your suggestion to increase the font size for
the normal text.

Marcus

Am 21.07.2018 um 16:28 schrieb Marcus:

>> Maybe it is just me getting old. ;-)
>> But I would like to have the font size increased in AOO help. Not for
>> the headings, etc. but for the flowing text.
>>
>> At the moment it is at 10pt and (especially on Windows) hard to read
>> for me.
>> I would propose to increase it to 11pt.
>>
>> To make the difference more visible, I made screenshots to compare:
>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO%20help%2010pt%20vs.%2011pt.pdf
>
> first I thought 10 or 11, is the difference really that big? But it is
> indeed - thanks to your screenshot.
>
> What about Linux and Mac, is the difference there also that big?
I could try to build for Linux (or provide a simple patch). I can
definitely not test for macOS.

It also depends on the fonts that are installed on the system:
Bitstream Vera Sans, Arial, Helvetica, Lucida, Geneva, Helmet,
sans-serif, Andale Sans UI, Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode ,Tahoma

The file is simple CSS and not changed for a long time, so the list
could be extended with specific Linux and macOS fonts.

Regards,
   Matthias

> Nevertheless, I support your suggestion to increase the font size for
> the normal text.
>
> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

> Am 21.07.2018 um 16:28 schrieb Marcus:
>>
>>> Maybe it is just me getting old. ;-)
>>> But I would like to have the font size increased in AOO help. Not for
>>> the headings, etc. but for the flowing text.
>>>
>>> At the moment it is at 10pt and (especially on Windows) hard to read
>>> for me.
>>> I would propose to increase it to 11pt.
>>>
>>> To make the difference more visible, I made screenshots to compare:
>>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO%20help%2010pt%20vs.%2011pt.pdf
>> first I thought 10 or 11, is the difference really that big? But it is
>> indeed - thanks to your screenshot.
>>
>> What about Linux and Mac, is the difference there also that big?
> I could try to build for Linux (or provide a simple patch). I can
> definitely not test for macOS.
>
> It also depends on the fonts that are installed on the system:
> Bitstream Vera Sans, Arial, Helvetica, Lucida, Geneva, Helmet,
> sans-serif, Andale Sans UI, Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode ,Tahoma
>
> The file is simple CSS and not changed for a long time, so the list
> could be extended with specific Linux and macOS fonts.
It is even easier to try out different sizes and fonts:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Fix_issues#Tweaking_appearance

Regards,
   Matthias

> Regards,
>    Matthias
>
>> Nevertheless, I support your suggestion to increase the font size for
>> the normal text.
>>
>> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

Kay Schenk-2

On 07/21/2018 02:04 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi all,

>>> first I thought 10 or 11, is the difference really that big? But it is
>>> indeed - thanks to your screenshot.
>>>
>>> What about Linux and Mac, is the difference there also that big?
>> I could try to build for Linux (or provide a simple patch). I can
>> definitely not test for macOS.
>>
>> It also depends on the fonts that are installed on the system:
>> Bitstream Vera Sans, Arial, Helvetica, Lucida, Geneva, Helmet,
>> sans-serif, Andale Sans UI, Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode ,Tahoma
>>
>> The file is simple CSS and not changed for a long time, so the list
>> could be extended with specific Linux and macOS fonts.
> It is even easier to try out different sizes and fonts:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Fix_issues#Tweaking_appearance
>
> Regards,
>    Matthias

Great find! I will try some of these. In any case, if you want to change
the default, go right ahead.
As someone who is annoyed almost daily with font issues, the difference
between 10pt and 11pt is quite a bit. :)

>> Regards,
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> Nevertheless, I support your suggestion to increase the font size for
>>> the normal text.
>>>
>>> Marcus

Re: [Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

Pedro Lino-3

> On July 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM Kay Schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As someone who is annoyed almost daily with font issues, the difference
> between 10pt and 11pt is quite a bit. :)

+1

Please do make that change!

Anyone else having problems with Calc's Sheet name text size under Linux on a high DPI screen?

Cheers,
Pedro

Am 22.07.2018 um 23:49 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 07/21/2018 02:04 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi all,

>>> I could try to build for Linux (or provide a simple patch). I can
>>> definitely not test for macOS.
>>>
>>> It also depends on the fonts that are installed on the system:
>>> Bitstream Vera Sans, Arial, Helvetica, Lucida, Geneva, Helmet,
>>> sans-serif, Andale Sans UI, Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode ,Tahoma
>>>
>>> The file is simple CSS and not changed for a long time, so the list
>>> could be extended with specific Linux and macOS fonts.
>> It is even easier to try out different sizes and fonts:
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Fix_issues#Tweaking_appearance
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Matthias
> Great find! I will try some of these. In any case, if you want to change
> the default, go right ahead.
> As someone who is annoyed almost daily with font issues, the difference
> between 10pt and 11pt is quite a bit. :)
So I am not the only one... ;-)

As I see no objections against it, I plan to commit the first files on
Wednesday.
Including the languages used by our buildbots so we have something to
test on Thursday.

Regards,
   Matthias

>>> Regards,
>>>    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

RE: [Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

Chery Perkins
Thank You!        ;)

Am 22.07.2018 um 23:49 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 07/21/2018 02:04 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi all,

>>> I could try to build for Linux (or provide a simple patch). I can
>>> definitely not test for macOS.
>>>
>>> It also depends on the fonts that are installed on the system:
>>> Bitstream Vera Sans, Arial, Helvetica, Lucida, Geneva, Helmet,
>>> sans-serif, Andale Sans UI, Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode
>>> ,Tahoma
>>>
>>> The file is simple CSS and not changed for a long time, so the list
>>> could be extended with specific Linux and macOS fonts.
>> It is even easier to try out different sizes and fonts:
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Fix_issues#Tweaking_appearance
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Matthias
> Great find! I will try some of these. In any case, if you want to
> change the default, go right ahead.
> As someone who is annoyed almost daily with font issues, the
> difference between 10pt and 11pt is quite a bit. :)

So I am not the only one... ;-)

As I see no objections against it, I plan to commit the first files on
Wednesday.
Including the languages used by our buildbots so we have something to test
on Thursday.

Regards,
   Matthias

>>> Regards,
>>>    Matthias

Re: [Discussion] Increase font size in AOO help?

Matthias Seidel
I committed the last part today.
Now everyone can enjoy a better readable font size in Help.

Regards,

   Matthias