Document Access from Multiple Computers

Jeffrey Klein
I use OpenOffice on my iMac desktop. How can I access the documents from my iPad tablet? Online documentation indicates no sharing among users but I am trying to access my own documentation.

Thank you.
Jeff Klein

Re: Document Access from Multiple Computers

Alan Boba-2
Jeff,

Sharing the same file between multiple devices requires that each device
have access to the file. That is a function of network and server software,
not the program used to create/edit/view the file.

On Windows and Linux there are options to "Share" drives and directories.
The iMac has a similar feature. A description of how to use it can be found
here.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-file-sharing-on-mac-mh17131/mac

Once the sharing is set up the file can be opened from your iPad. Here are
a couple descriptions how to do that once the file sharing has been set up.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-use-the-files-app-to-connect-to-a-network-server-from-your-iphone-or-ipad/
https://osxdaily.com/2019/11/04/how-connect-smb-share-iphone-ipad-files-app/

From what I read, if asked to select a protocol when setting up the share,
select SMB.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:03 PM Jeffrey Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use OpenOffice on my iMac desktop. How can I access the documents from
> my iPad tablet? Online documentation indicates no sharing among users but I
> am trying to access my own documentation.
>
> Thank you.
> Jeff Klein

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Document Access from Multiple Computers

Julian Thomas-4

> On Jul 22, 2020, at 20:06, Alan B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Sharing the same file between multiple devices requires that each device
> have access to the file. That is a function of network and server software,
> not the program used to create/edit/view the file.

This is correct.  The easiest way to make the file available to your iPad is to put them in your iCloud drive which you can share between all your apple devices that use the same apple ID.

On the iPad open the Files app and select iCloud drive.

Bear in mind that AOO is not available for the iPad, although there is in the app store an OOReader app which lets you view OO files on the iPad.

HTH

 —
jt - [hidden email]

"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong." Voltaire (1694 - 1778)