Download Firefox 3.0 Today

12

Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Daniel Carrera-2
Hello,

Firefox 3.0 just came out today. Mozilla wants to set a world record for
the most downloads of any software in the first 24 hours after its release.

More than 1.7 million people have "pledged" to download the browser
today. You can do your part to advertise Firefox to the world. Just
visit this page:

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

And download Firefox 3.0 today.

The server has been having problems the last few hours (heavy load
maybe?) but it seems to be running again.

Daniel.

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Pat McBride
Daniel, thanks for the info, right now I'm having more problems with my
Internet than I care to think about.  Maybe later.

thanks,

Pat
> Firefox 3.0 just came out today. Mozilla wants to set a world record for
> the most downloads of any software in the first 24 hours after its
> release.
>
> More than 1.7 million people have "pledged" to download the browser today.
> You can do your part to advertise Firefox to the world. Just visit this
> page:
>
> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
>
> And download Firefox 3.0 today.
>
> The server has been having problems the last few hours (heavy load maybe?)
> but it seems to be running again.
>
> Daniel.

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Eric Chaves
Well I put my 2 cents in. Found a nice free hi speed wi-fi at my
local public library &  wham bam thank you ma'am I've upgraded. I'm
glad that that I could help.  Power to the People and all that jazz.
Now I'm going to get some beer.

>Hello,
>
>Firefox 3.0 just came out today. Mozilla wants to set a world record
>for the most downloads of any software in the first 24 hours after
>its release.
>
>More than 1.7 million people have "pledged" to download the browser
>today. You can do your part to advertise Firefox to the world. Just
>visit this page:
>
>http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
>
>And download Firefox 3.0 today.
>
>The server has been having problems the last few hours (heavy load
>maybe?) but it seems to be running again.
>
>Daniel.

Eric

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Rod Engelsman
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Daniel Carrera <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Firefox 3.0 just came out today. Mozilla wants to set a world record for
> the most downloads of any software in the first 24 hours after its release.
>
> More than 1.7 million people have "pledged" to download the browser today.
> You can do your part to advertise Firefox to the world. Just visit this
> page:
>
> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
>
> And download Firefox 3.0 today.
>
> The server has been having problems the last few hours (heavy load maybe?)
> but it seems to be running again.
>
> Daniel.

Done. Very nice. Seems to load pages significantly faster... and here I
thought the bottleneck was my Internet connection.

Rod

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Smoot Carl-Mitchell
On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 21:22 -0500, Rod Engelsman wrote:

> Done. Very nice. Seems to load pages significantly faster... and here I
> thought the bottleneck was my Internet connection.

I have been using the RC5 release candidate for several weeks now and it
it does seem to be more stable.  I did have to wait for a few plugins to
catch up with 3.0, notably the Sage RSS reader.  I have also gotten all
the multimedia plugins working on 3.0 under Ubuntu.

The developers also seem to have plugged some memory leaks.  The
application footprint is much smaller than 2.x, although still quite
large. But it appears to not grow with age.  FF 3.0 runs about 1/2
gigabyte virtual memory size on GNU/Linux.  Good thing I have 4 gig on
my notebook!
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Rod Engelsman wrote:
> Done. Very nice. Seems to load pages significantly faster... and here I
> thought the bottleneck was my Internet connection.

One thing I love about FF3 is that they have really improved the memory
problems. They fixed 400 bugs/issues related to memory, including many
memory leaks. They also changed Gecko to use memory more efficiently.
Let me give some examples:

* Every item in the cache now has a timestamp and as they expire they
are removed from memory.

* They no longer keep a copy of uncompressed images in memory.

* They switched to a new memory allocator written by a FreeBSD guy. You
know how hard drives can get fragmented over time, right? Well, memory
gets fragmented too. You don't notice because you normally run an
application for only a few hours and when you close it, all the memory
it was using gets returned. But for an application like Firefox, which
could be running for several weeks at a time, memory fragmentation does
matter. I close my FireFox 2 about once every 3 weeks. That's when
memory consumption gets big enough that I get tired and close it. The
new memory allocator largely avoids fragmentation.

* One source of memory leaks was not Firefox itself, but the plugins.
The plugins have access to Firefox internals and they could create
circular object references where object A has a pointer to object B but
object B has a pointer to object A. No other part of the program is
using either A or B but they don't get removed from memory because Gecko
thinks that they are still in use. Hence, you get a memory leak. Gecko
1.9 has something in it that detects most circular references, even when
they are due to interaction with a plugin, and clears the memory.

Anyways, I'm very happy about the changes. My #1 issue with Firefox has
always been memory consumption. There are other nice new features, but
memory is my favourite feature.

Cheers,
Daniel.

RE: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Pat McBride
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How do I change the colours on Firefox 3.0??????????/
Some of them are yellow, and can't be read.   ANYBODY, please
help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Otherwise, I'm going back to Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Pat

> Done. Very nice. Seems to load pages significantly faster... and here I
> thought the bottleneck was my Internet connection.

One thing I love about FF3 is that they have really improved the memory
problems. They fixed 400 bugs/issues related to memory, including many
memory leaks. They also changed Gecko to use memory more efficiently.
Let me give some examples:

* Every item in the cache now has a timestamp and as they expire they
are removed from memory.

* They no longer keep a copy of uncompressed images in memory.

* They switched to a new memory allocator written by a FreeBSD guy. You
know how hard drives can get fragmented over time, right? Well, memory
gets fragmented too. You don't notice because you normally run an
application for only a few hours and when you close it, all the memory
it was using gets returned. But for an application like Firefox, which
could be running for several weeks at a time, memory fragmentation does
matter. I close my FireFox 2 about once every 3 weeks. That's when
memory consumption gets big enough that I get tired and close it. The
new memory allocator largely avoids fragmentation.

* One source of memory leaks was not Firefox itself, but the plugins.
The plugins have access to Firefox internals and they could create
circular object references where object A has a pointer to object B but
object B has a pointer to object A. No other part of the program is
using either A or B but they don't get removed from memory because Gecko
thinks that they are still in use. Hence, you get a memory leak. Gecko
1.9 has something in it that detects most circular references, even when
they are due to interaction with a plugin, and clears the memory.

Anyways, I'm very happy about the changes. My #1 issue with Firefox has
always been memory consumption. There are other nice new features, but
memory is my favourite feature.

Cheers,
Daniel.

07:09

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

webmaster@krackedpress.com

Firefox 3.0
Record number of downloads

2,950,109 downloads in USA           as of 8:34 pm  eastern (Wed. June 18th)
9,533,377 downloads worldwide.

They were hoping for at least 1 million.
I thing they were under-rating their software
and the people who want the newest version.

> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How do I change the colours on Firefox
> 3.0??????????/
> Some of them are yellow, and can't be read.   ANYBODY, please
> help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Otherwise, I'm going back to Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
>
> Pat

7:09 AM

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Clayton-24
Pat McBride wrote:
> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How do I change the colours on Firefox 3.0??????????/
> Some of them are yellow, and can't be read.   ANYBODY, please
> help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Otherwise, I'm going back to Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Yellow?  Where?  I've been using Firefox 3.0 through the whole Beta
period, and now the full release.  I've never seen yellow anything that
made parts unreadable.  You need to be more specific.

C.

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Ian Lynch
On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 20:38 -0400, web at work wrote:
> Firefox 3.0
> Record number of downloads
>
> 2,950,109 downloads in USA           as of 8:34 pm  eastern (Wed. June 18th)
> 9,533,377 downloads worldwide.

I got mine in an Ubuntu update so that probably isn't in the figures. So
the number is probably quite a lot bigger in terms of people who are now
upgrades to 3.0

> They were hoping for at least 1 million.
> I thing they were under-rating their software
> and the people who want the newest version.

New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org

Ian Lynch wrote:
> I got mine in an Ubuntu update so that probably isn't in the figures.

Are you sure? Are you confident that you got 3.0 in an Ubuntu update?
How could they test it, package it and distribute it just a few hours
after Mozilla itself produced it? Not to mention that it goes against
Ubuntu policy to not switch to a totally new version of a program within
the same Ubuntu version.

Did something in Ubuntu say that you were being moved to Firefox 3.0?

web at work wrote:
> They were hoping for at least 1 million.
> I thing they were under-rating their software
> and the people who want the newest version.

They got 1.6 million with Firefox 2.0. I read that they were expecting 5
million.

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 10:26 +0200, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Ian Lynch wrote:
> > I got mine in an Ubuntu update so that probably isn't in the figures.
>
> Are you sure? Are you confident that you got 3.0 in an Ubuntu update?

Did it last night. Took about two hours to download from the updates in
the usual way - possibly something routed to the Mozilla web site but I
don't think so.

> How could they test it, package it and distribute it just a few hours
> after Mozilla itself produced it?

No idea

>  Not to mention that it goes against
> Ubuntu policy to not switch to a totally new version of a program within
> the same Ubuntu version.

> Did something in Ubuntu say that you were being moved to Firefox 3.0?

The previous version was a beta 5 or something this one says 3.0

Updated OOo to 2.4.1. too

Evolution and a whole host of things. The download was 200 meg+

Ian

Ian Lynch wrote:
> The previous version was a beta 5 or something this one says 3.0

If it says 3.0 I guess it is 3.0...

pk

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Daniel Carrera-2
I never downloaded beta 5. I never heard of it before. Ian is the one
who downloaded some beta 5. It might be an Ubuntu-specific thing. For
the general public Mozilla only made 3 release candidates.

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 12:02 +0200, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> I never downloaded beta 5. I never heard of it before. Ian is the one
> who downloaded some beta 5. It might be an Ubuntu-specific thing. For
> the general public Mozilla only made 3 release candidates.

All I have ever done is install the latest version of Ubuntu and used
the standard updates procedure.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Jonathon Blake
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Daniel Carrera  wrote:

> Anyways, I'm very happy about the changes.

I'm going to uninstall FF 3.0, and reinstall the earlier version,
because less than 10% of the extensions I have, work for 3.0.   Which
means that the amount of typing I do is tripled, if not quadrupled.

xan

jonathon

Re: Download Firefox 3.0 Today

Smoot Carl-Mitchell
On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 10:26 +0200, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Ian Lynch wrote:
> > I got mine in an Ubuntu update so that probably isn't in the figures.
>
> Are you sure? Are you confident that you got 3.0 in an Ubuntu update?
> How could they test it, package it and distribute it just a few hours
> after Mozilla itself produced it? Not to mention that it goes against
> Ubuntu policy to not switch to a totally new version of a program within
> the same Ubuntu version.
>
> Did something in Ubuntu say that you were being moved to Firefox 3.0?

Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) started out with FF 3.0 Beta or at least one
of the early release candidates.  I am now running the real 3.0
production version.  So they put it up in the repos pretty fast.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 10:17 -0700, jonathon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Daniel Carrera  wrote:
>
> > Anyways, I'm very happy about the changes.
>
> I'm going to uninstall FF 3.0, and reinstall the earlier version,
> because less than 10% of the extensions I have, work for 3.0.   Which
> means that the amount of typing I do is tripled, if not quadrupled.

I had this same problem.  Fortunately, the deal killer for me was the
Sage RSS reader which hhad been abandoned as a project.  Fortunately, a
group of folks came along with a SageTwo reader which duplicated the
functionality.

I still miss the Firebug add on.  It has not been updated for FF 3.0,
yet.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect