Downloading MS Office Documents

Darnley Howard
I have  Open Office 4.1.2. When I download an Office document I get a box saying "You are trying to use Office but don't have Office." I previous versions these documents would automatically convert. Excel documents are opened in Calc, etc.I tried using the Load/Save feature in the Tools-Options menu but that had no effect. How do I get these documents to open in Open Office? DARNLEY W. HOWARD
President/Principal Consultant
Advansa International
(c) 781/350-0610
www.linkedin.com/in/darnleyhoward/
emergingmktstories.wordpress.com
smallbusinessstories.wordpress.com/

Re: Downloading MS Office Documents

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 04:39:47 +0000 (UTC)
Darnley Howard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have  Open Office 4.1.2. When I download an Office document I get a box saying "You are trying to use Office but don't have Office." I previous versions these documents would automatically convert. Excel documents are opened in Calc, etc.I tried using the Load/Save feature in the Tools-Options menu but that had no effect. How do I get these documents to open in Open Office? DARNLEY W. HOWARD
> President/Principal Consultant
> Advansa International
> (c) 781/350-0610
> www.linkedin.com/in/darnleyhoward/
> emergingmktstories.wordpress.com
> smallbusinessstories.wordpress.com/

You need to set File Associations on your version of Windows to point those files to OpenOffice.  I do not currently use Windows (and have not for years) so only know the traditional way to do this, which is to right click on a file of the type in question, select "Open with" from the popup and choose the appropriate component of OpenOffice.  There should also be a setting to tell Windows "Always open with this program", which you should also choose.  You should only need to do this once and Windows will then remember your choice.

I have a vague recollection that in more modern versions of Windows than I have used there is another way, but do not know the detail of this.

If you choose to look in Help files, the keywords are "File Associations"

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Downloading MS Office Documents

Alan Pearce
Right click on the file and choose "Open With" then choose Open Office or whatever is your choice. When saving choose save as and select the file type.

Alan.

emergingmktstories.wordpress.com
smallbusinessstories.wordpress.com/

Re: Downloading MS Office Documents

Ron Black
Did you try to associate the file extension with OO Writer?

RonB