Downloading Open Office and Verification

Downloading Open Office and Verification

Carol Reese1
I have not yet downloaded Open Office because I’m not clear on what is needed.  Is ‘Verification of Integrity’ required?  Or can I just download Open Office?  I can’t understand exactly what to do to verify.
Thanks  :)

Re: Downloading Open Office and Verification

David Belina-2
Are you on a Mac with Catalina installed as the latest OS?

If so, Apple requires that you go through an extra step to install (not just download0.

Try these instructions: https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html

Do not download Open Office from anyplace other than  www.openoffice.org/download

On February 8, 2020 at 1:01:59 PM, Carol Reese1 ([hidden email]) wrote:

I have not yet downloaded Open Office because I’m not clear on what is needed. Is ‘Verification of Integrity’ required? Or can I just download Open Office? I can’t understand exactly what to do to verify.
Thanks :)

Thanks :)

Re: Downloading Open Office and Verification

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 21:10:23 +0000 (UTC)
Carol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the help!  I was on a Mac but I will be putting Open Office on our PC with Windows 10.  The instructions on 'Verification' seems complicated.
> In a message dated 2/8/2020 3:14:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, [hidden email] writes:
>
> Are you on a Mac with Catalina installed as the latest OS?
>
> If so, Apple requires that you go through an extra step to install (not just download0.
>
> Try these instructions: https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html
>
> Do not download Open Office from anyplace other than  www.openoffice.org/download
>

> On February 8, 2020 at 1:01:59 PM, Carol Reese1 ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> I have not yet downloaded Open Office because I’m not clear on what is needed. Is ‘Verification of Integrity’ required? Or can I just download Open Office? I can’t understand exactly what to do to verify.
> Thanks :)

Be aware that a different version is needed for Windows.  Select that from the URL you have been given.  Normally in Windows the built-in file checking is adequate; when in Windows you double click the download it will (99.9% of time, depending on how good your Internet connection is) install or complain.  If it complains you have a bad download and should try again.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Downloading Open Office and Verification

David Belina-2
Follow what Rory says.  Verifying is usually a redundant set since most browsers check the CRC when the have finished downloading.  The SHA MD5 whatever are if you are downloading from a site you do not trust and think the official site had been altered.

Carol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the help!  I was on a Mac but I will be putting Open Office on our PC with Windows 10.  The instructions on 'Verification' seems complicated.
> In a message dated 2/8/2020 3:14:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, [hidden email] writes:
>
> Are you on a Mac with Catalina installed as the latest OS?
>
> If so, Apple requires that you go through an extra step to install (not just download0.
>
> Try these instructions: https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html
>
> Do not download Open Office from anyplace other than  www.openoffice.org/download
>

> On February 8, 2020 at 1:01:59 PM, Carol Reese1 ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> I have not yet downloaded Open Office because I’m not clear on what is needed. Is ‘Verification of Integrity’ required? Or can I just download Open Office? I can’t understand exactly what to do to verify.
> Thanks :)

Be aware that a different version is needed for Windows. Select that from the URL you have been given. Normally in Windows the built-in file checking is adequate; when in Windows you double click the download it will (99.9% of time, depending on how good your Internet connection is) install or complain. If it complains you have a bad download and should try again.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Downloading Open Office and Verification

Carol Reese1
RoryThanks for the response!  I believe Windows 10 is listed in the instructions as one I could use, if I read it right.  Are you saying I can't use Windows 10?Carol

Carol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the help!  I was on a Mac but I will be putting Open Office on our PC with Windows 10.  The instructions on 'Verification' seems complicated.
> In a message dated 2/8/2020 3:14:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, [hidden email] writes:
>
> Are you on a Mac with Catalina installed as the latest OS?
>
> If so, Apple requires that you go through an extra step to install (not just download0.
>
> Try these instructions: https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html
>
> Do not download Open Office from anyplace other than  www.openoffice.org/download
>

> On February 8, 2020 at 1:01:59 PM, Carol Reese1 ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> I have not yet downloaded Open Office because I’m not clear on what is needed. Is ‘Verification of Integrity’ required? Or can I just download Open Office? I can’t understand exactly what to do to verify.
> Thanks :)

Be aware that a different version is needed for Windows.  Select that from the URL you have been given.  Normally in Windows the built-in file checking is adequate; when in Windows you double click the download it will (99.9% of time, depending on how good your Internet connection is) install or complain.  If it complains you have a bad download and should try again.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Downloading Open Office and Verification

Keith N. McKenna
On 2/8/2020 7:44 PM, Carol wrote:
> RoryThanks for the response!  I believe Windows 10 is listed in the instructions as one I could use, if I read it right.  Are you saying I can't use Windows 10?Carol

Carol;
Yes you can use windows 10. I have been using it for a number of years
now and Apache OpenOffice® works fine. As others have mentioned the
verification step is not mandatory and 99+% of the time it will install
with no problems.

Regards
Keith