Draft L10N website

123

Draft L10N website

Rob Weir
http://www.openoffice.org/l10n-new/

This is based on a contribution from Jan.

You can look at the source is Subversion:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n-new/

It looks like Jan is trying some clever work customizing the website
template and server-side includes.  But it looks like it is
conflicting with (or is being applied in duplicate to) the site-wide
template.

Dave might have some ideas here.  But in general I think we want to
avoid having duplicate copies of site-wide items, like Google
Analytics declarations.

-Rob

Re: Draft L10N website

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.openoffice.org/l10n-new/

why do we have a different directory, wouldnt it be just better to have

http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/new.html

Doesnt make sense to have two Localization projects/folders.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/31/12, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/l10n-new/
>
> why do we have a different directory, wouldnt it be just better to have
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/new.html
>
> Doesnt make sense to have two Localization projects/folders.

We use a version control for a reason, I think even just having the
regular l10n/index.html would be a 'better' solution.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

Rob Weir
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/l10n-new/
>
> why do we have a different directory, wouldnt it be just better to have
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/new.html
>
> Doesnt make sense to have two Localization projects/folders.

Long term, it does not.  For review it is perfectly fine.  Once we've
debugged it and are agreed on the new site, then of course we replace
the old directory with this one.

-Rob

>> This is based on a contribution from Jan.
>>
>> You can look at the source is Subversion:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n-new/
>>
>> It looks like Jan is trying some clever work customizing the website
>> template and server-side includes.  But it looks like it is
>> conflicting with (or is being applied in duplicate to) the site-wide
>> template.
>>
>> Dave might have some ideas here.  But in general I think we want to
>> avoid having duplicate copies of site-wide items, like Google
>> Analytics declarations.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

jan iversen
Rob: I did not quite understand the part about google analytics, should I
change something ??

I checked in SVN, and saw that both ooo/index.html and ooo/l10n/index.html
was committed with the complete html, I had expected the SVN part to be the
text that goes into the template?

 I do not like to copy the top/bottom into every page, which is why I used
the snip thing.

Jan.

On 31 October 2012 19:10, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> http://www.openoffice.org/l10n-new/
> >
> > why do we have a different directory, wouldnt it be just better to have
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/new.html
> >
> > Doesnt make sense to have two Localization projects/folders.
> >

> Long term, it does not.  For review it is perfectly fine.  Once we've
> debugged it and are agreed on the new site, then of course we replace
> the old directory with this one.
>
> -Rob
>

> >> This is based on a contribution from Jan.
> >>
> >> You can look at the source is Subversion:
> >>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n-new/
> >>
> >> It looks like Jan is trying some clever work customizing the website
> >> template and server-side includes.  But it looks like it is
> >> conflicting with (or is being applied in duplicate to) the site-wide
> >> template.
> >>
> >> Dave might have some ideas here.  But in general I think we want to
> >> avoid having duplicate copies of site-wide items, like Google
> >> Analytics declarations.
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >>

> > --
> > Alexandro Colorado
> > PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> > http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/l10n-new/
>>
>> why do we have a different directory, wouldnt it be just better to have
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/new.html
>>
>> Doesnt make sense to have two Localization projects/folders.
>>

> Long term, it does not.  For review it is perfectly fine.  Once we've
> debugged it and are agreed on the new site, then of course we replace
> the old directory with this one.

I am sorry, this doesn't make sense, sounds like the plan of the plan.
I would go on commiting the data and if there are changes or
rollbacks, just update the pages/sites.  That's the whole point of
using a version control system/wiki IMO. AFAIK just unlinking will
have a non-destructive effect to the past content if we are trying to
preserve things live, otherwise it will just go on the revision
history.

I looked at the l10n-new and not a lot of data is in it, I would just
merge it back with l10n and comment whatever seems 'outdated'.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

Rob Weir
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> why do we have a different directory, wouldnt it be just better to have
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/new.html
>>>
>>> Doesnt make sense to have two Localization projects/folders.
>>>

>> Long term, it does not.  For review it is perfectly fine.  Once we've
>> debugged it and are agreed on the new site, then of course we replace
>> the old directory with this one.
>
> I am sorry, this doesn't make sense, sounds like the plan of the plan.
> I would go on commiting the data and if there are changes or
> rollbacks, just update the pages/sites.  That's the whole point of
> using a version control system/wiki IMO. AFAIK just unlinking will

Obviously I disagree.  The fact that we have version control does not
mean we can just overwrite stuff on a production server with
unreviewed changes.

> have a non-destructive effect to the past content if we are trying to
> preserve things live, otherwise it will just go on the revision
> history.
>
> I looked at the l10n-new and not a lot of data is in it, I would just
> merge it back with l10n and comment whatever seems 'outdated'.
>

>> -Rob

>>> --
>>> Alexandro Colorado
>>> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
>>> http://es.openoffice.org
>>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

Rob Weir
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Rob: I did not quite understand the part about google analytics, should I
> change something ??

I'd like to hear what Dave thinks on this.  He set up the site-wide
template originally.

> I checked in SVN, and saw that both ooo/index.html and ooo/l10n/index.html
> was committed with the complete html, I had expected the SVN part to be the
> text that goes into the template?

Generally we check in complete HTML pages, with <html>, <head> and
apparently merges elements in the <head>, applies navigation
breadcrumbs, the constant license footer, consistent branding on the
header, etc. I don't fully understand how it works, but most content
authors can just ignore it.  It works that well that most can just
ignore.

But it looks like you want to adjust the template.  We'll see what
Dave thinks on this.  Maybe we need to pipeline things so your changes
are applied and then the site template is applied.  (It kind of looks
like this is happening now).

>  I do not like to copy the top/bottom into every page, which is why I used
> the snip thing.

Right.  But I think what we're seeing now is a fight between the
site-wide rules and the local ones.

-Rob

> Jan.
>
> On 31 October 2012 19:10, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > why do we have a different directory, wouldnt it be just better to have
>> >
>> > http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/new.html
>> >
>> > Doesnt make sense to have two Localization projects/folders.
>> >

>> Long term, it does not.  For review it is perfectly fine.  Once we've
>> debugged it and are agreed on the new site, then of course we replace
>> the old directory with this one.
>>
>> -Rob

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n-new/

>> > --
>> > Alexandro Colorado
>> > PPMC Apache OpenOffice
>> > http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Long term, it does not.  For review it is perfectly fine.  Once we've
>>> debugged it and are agreed on the new site, then of course we replace
>>> the old directory with this one.
>>
>> I am sorry, this doesn't make sense, sounds like the plan of the plan.
>> I would go on commiting the data and if there are changes or
>> rollbacks, just update the pages/sites.  That's the whole point of
>> using a version control system/wiki IMO. AFAIK just unlinking will
>

> Obviously I disagree.  The fact that we have version control does not
> mean we can just overwrite stuff on a production server with
> unreviewed changes.

Who exactly is going to review those changes, the reviewers or authors
are long gone from the project. Right now mantaining that content is
doing more harm than just having incomplete fresh content.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

Rob Weir
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I am sorry, this doesn't make sense, sounds like the plan of the plan.
>>> I would go on commiting the data and if there are changes or
>>> rollbacks, just update the pages/sites.  That's the whole point of
>>> using a version control system/wiki IMO. AFAIK just unlinking will
>>

>> Obviously I disagree.  The fact that we have version control does not
>> mean we can just overwrite stuff on a production server with
>> unreviewed changes.
>
> Who exactly is going to review those changes, the reviewers or authors
> are long gone from the project. Right now mantaining that content is
> doing more harm than just having incomplete fresh content.

OK.  It sounds like you are missing the context here.  Jan emailed me
these updated files so I could check them in.  Anyone who wishes to
review them can do so.  I certainly am.  There are some issues on the
page currently.  When these are taken care of, then of course we'll
put them in the normal directly.  But right now they are suffering
some serious issues with the site template.  I'd rather take care of
that now rather than debate the theory of version control.  OK?

-Rob

>>> have a non-destructive effect to the past content if we are trying to
>>> preserve things live, otherwise it will just go on the revision
>>> history.
>>>
>>> I looked at the l10n-new and not a lot of data is in it, I would just
>>> merge it back with l10n and comment whatever seems 'outdated'.

>>> --
>>> Alexandro Colorado
>>> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
>>> http://es.openoffice.org
>>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/31/12, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Obviously I disagree.  The fact that we have version control does not
>>> mean we can just overwrite stuff on a production server with
>>> unreviewed changes.
>>
>> Who exactly is going to review those changes, the reviewers or authors
>> are long gone from the project. Right now mantaining that content is
>> doing more harm than just having incomplete fresh content.
>>

> OK.  It sounds like you are missing the context here.  Jan emailed me
> these updated files so I could check them in.  Anyone who wishes to
> review them can do so.  I certainly am.  There are some issues on the
> page currently.  When these are taken care of, then of course we'll
> put them in the normal directly.  But right now they are suffering
> some serious issues with the site template.  I'd rather take care of
> that now rather than debate the theory of version control.  OK?

Got it.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Draft L10N website

jan iversen
Someday I will learn how the templates work. I looked at one wiki page,
that explained to use sort of variables, where the merged part should go.
How a template can merge into a full html, well thats pure magic.

I to not want a special top or bottom....but I do want different menus,
since l10n has different topics. So if the template mingles with header and
body until the menu part, and again on the bottom (apache logo etc.) I will
be more than happy to use the template.

jan

On 31 October 2012 19:42, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Rob: I did not quite understand the part about google analytics, should I
> > change something ??
> >

> I'd like to hear what Dave thinks on this.  He set up the site-wide
> template originally.
>
> > I checked in SVN, and saw that both ooo/index.html and
> ooo/l10n/index.html
> > was committed with the complete html, I had expected the SVN part to be
> the
> > text that goes into the template?
> >

> Generally we check in complete HTML pages, with <html>, <head> and
> apparently merges elements in the <head>, applies navigation
> breadcrumbs, the constant license footer, consistent branding on the
> header, etc. I don't fully understand how it works, but most content
> authors can just ignore it.  It works that well that most can just
> ignore.
>
> But it looks like you want to adjust the template.  We'll see what
> Dave thinks on this.  Maybe we need to pipeline things so your changes
> are applied and then the site template is applied.  (It kind of looks
> like this is happening now).
>
> >  I do not like to copy the top/bottom into every page, which is why I
> used
> > the snip thing.
> >

> Right.  But I think what we're seeing now is a fight between the
> site-wide rules and the local ones.
>
> -Rob
>

> > Jan.
> >
> > On 31 October 2012 19:10, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> have

> >> Long term, it does not.  For review it is perfectly fine.  Once we've
> >> debugged it and are agreed on the new site, then of course we replace
> >> the old directory with this one.
> >>
> >> -Rob

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n-new/

Re: Draft L10N website

Rob Weir
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 4:26 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Someday I will learn how the templates work. I looked at one wiki page,
> that explained to use sort of variables, where the merged part should go.
> How a template can merge into a full html, well thats pure magic.
>
> I to not want a special top or bottom....but I do want different menus,
> since l10n has different topics. So if the template mingles with header and
> body until the menu part, and again on the bottom (apache logo etc.) I will
> be more than happy to use the template.

I have not looked into it, but this part of the website seems to
handle a local look and feel, along with the site-wide parts:

http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html

Maybe reading through the way it was done here might help:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/product/

It looks like they did it entirely as Markdown Text.  But that is a
minor detail.

The real magic happens here, I think, where the site templates are
defined:  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/templates/

Note especially:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/templates/product/ssi.mdtext

Ah, and that then points back to:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/product/leftnav.mdtext

I'd recommend poking around.  Or, if you think the look and feel of
the "product" part of the website is good, maybe even just copy that
and change the content of the left navigator to reflect the links that
you want to highlight?

-Rob

> jan
>
> On 31 October 2012 19:42, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Rob: I did not quite understand the part about google analytics, should I
>> > change something ??
>> >

>> I'd like to hear what Dave thinks on this.  He set up the site-wide
>> template originally.
>>
>> > I checked in SVN, and saw that both ooo/index.html and
>> ooo/l10n/index.html
>> > was committed with the complete html, I had expected the SVN part to be
>> the
>> > text that goes into the template?
>> >

>> Generally we check in complete HTML pages, with <html>, <head> and
>> apparently merges elements in the <head>, applies navigation
>> breadcrumbs, the constant license footer, consistent branding on the
>> header, etc. I don't fully understand how it works, but most content
>> authors can just ignore it.  It works that well that most can just
>> ignore.
>>
>> But it looks like you want to adjust the template.  We'll see what
>> Dave thinks on this.  Maybe we need to pipeline things so your changes
>> are applied and then the site template is applied.  (It kind of looks
>> like this is happening now).
>>
>> >  I do not like to copy the top/bottom into every page, which is why I
>> used
>> > the snip thing.
>> >

>> Right.  But I think what we're seeing now is a fight between the
>> site-wide rules and the local ones.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>> > Jan.

>> have

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n-new/

Re: Draft L10N website

jan iversen
Thanks for a swift answer, I will have a look at it, and send you a new
version...I want to adhere to standards !!

I might rebel from time to time, but then I try to get the standard changed
instead of violating it.

Jan.

On 31 October 2012 21:44, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> template originally.

> >> ooo/l10n/index.html
> be
> >> the
> >> >

> >> Generally we check in complete HTML pages, with <html>, <head> and
> >> apparently merges elements in the <head>, applies navigation
> >> breadcrumbs, the constant license footer, consistent branding on the
> >> header, etc. I don't fully understand how it works, but most content
> >> authors can just ignore it.  It works that well that most can just
> >> ignore.
> >>
> >> But it looks like you want to adjust the template.  We'll see what
> >> Dave thinks on this.  Maybe we need to pipeline things so your changes
> >> are applied and then the site template is applied.  (It kind of looks
> >> like this is happening now).

> >> used
> >> >

> >> Right.  But I think what we're seeing now is a fight between the

Re: Draft L10N website

jan iversen
Wow, that was a lot, but very informative (I have at least 5 markers for
deeper analysis)...but it seems that the top-menu is part of the fixed
design, even the product page uses it. But the product page shows a nice
way of adding another menu system, which I will use.

Give me a day or two, and I will have that updated.

As Alexandro pointed out, the site is not big or with big content, that is
on purpose, I wanted to establish a "bare bottom" from where  we can build.

If there are other comments, or suggestions, please let me know, and I will
include it in the update.

rob:
I hope it is ok, that I bother you to update the site again later this week
?

On 31 October 2012 22:06, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for a swift answer, I will have a look at it, and send you a new
> version...I want to adhere to standards !!
>
> I might rebel from time to time, but then I try to get the standard
> changed instead of violating it.
>
> Jan.
>

> On 31 October 2012 21:44, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 4:26 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Someday I will learn how the templates work. I looked at one wiki page,
>> > that explained to use sort of variables, where the merged part should
>> go.
>> > How a template can merge into a full html, well thats pure magic.
>> >
>> > I to not want a special top or bottom....but I do want different menus,
>> > since l10n has different topics. So if the template mingles with header
>> and
>> > body until the menu part, and again on the bottom (apache logo etc.) I
>> will
>> > be more than happy to use the template.
>> >

>> I have not looked into it, but this part of the website seems to
>> handle a local look and feel, along with the site-wide parts:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html
>>
>> Maybe reading through the way it was done here might help:
>>

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/product/
>>
>> It looks like they did it entirely as Markdown Text.  But that is a
>> minor detail.
>>
>> The real magic happens here, I think, where the site templates are
>> defined:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/templates/
>>
>> Note especially:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/templates/product/ssi.mdtext
>>
>> Ah, and that then points back to:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/product/leftnav.mdtext
>>
>> I'd recommend poking around.  Or, if you think the look and feel of
>> the "product" part of the website is good, maybe even just copy that
>> and change the content of the left navigator to reflect the links that
>> you want to highlight?
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>> > jan

>> should I

>> be

>> we've
>> replace

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n-new/

>> website
>> site-wide

Re: Draft L10N website

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 03:06:02PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> OK.  It sounds like you are missing the context here.  Jan emailed me
> these updated files so I could check them in.  Anyone who wishes to
> review them can do so.  I certainly am.  There are some issues on the
> page currently.  When these are taken care of, then of course we'll
> put them in the normal directly.  But right now they are suffering
> some serious issues with the site template.

@Jan: I did a skeleton for you to play with; it all markdown, if he
wants more fancy things he has to make new templates (see
incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/templates/) or play with CSS (the site
supports per-markdown-page CSS style sheets, add css: to the page
header; see /es/noticias/index.mdtext and /es/producto/index.mdtext).

In order to understand how the site works, browse for Dave Fisher mails
in ooo-dev. Then start by

ooo-site/trunk/templates/l10n-new/ssi.mdtext

that file defines the includes, in this file these are named as .html files,
you will find them as .mdtext in /l10n-new:

brand.mdtext
topnav.mdtext
leftnav.mdtext

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Draft L10N website

jan iversen
Thanks a lot ariel.

You have made them all, so I just need to do a little finetuning.

However I do have a proposal for the site-wide template.

- Could we please have "context-sensitive" menus.

If I (being a web user) goto l10n.openOffice.org and click on "support", I
expect support for l10n, and not the generic support. Especially for l10n
the same is true for "native languages".

It is quite easy to make the menus context sensitive, instead of referring
in href to /support it should be something like

The php function should look in current directory (l10n in my case) and if
there exist a file support.html use it, or else use /support.php

That way, our menus is consistent (which is good), but the content can be
different depending on where you are.

Could that be an idea ??

Jan

On 1 November 2012 07:11, Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 03:06:02PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> > OK.  It sounds like you are missing the context here.  Jan emailed me
> > these updated files so I could check them in.  Anyone who wishes to
> > review them can do so.  I certainly am.  There are some issues on the
> > page currently.  When these are taken care of, then of course we'll
> > put them in the normal directly.  But right now they are suffering
> > some serious issues with the site template.
>
> @Jan: I did a skeleton for you to play with; it all markdown, if he
> wants more fancy things he has to make new templates (see
> incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/templates/) or play with CSS (the site
> supports per-markdown-page CSS style sheets, add css: to the page
> header; see /es/noticias/index.mdtext and /es/producto/index.mdtext).
>
> In order to understand how the site works, browse for Dave Fisher mails
> in ooo-dev. Then start by
>
> ooo-site/trunk/templates/l10n-new/ssi.mdtext
>
> that file defines the includes, in this file these are named as .html
> files,
> you will find them as .mdtext in /l10n-new:
>
> brand.mdtext
> topnav.mdtext
> leftnav.mdtext
>

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Argentina

Re: Draft L10N website

Rob Weir
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow, that was a lot, but very informative (I have at least 5 markers for
> deeper analysis)...but it seems that the top-menu is part of the fixed
> design, even the product page uses it. But the product page shows a nice
> way of adding another menu system, which I will use.
>
> Give me a day or two, and I will have that updated.
>
> As Alexandro pointed out, the site is not big or with big content, that is
> on purpose, I wanted to establish a "bare bottom" from where  we can build.
>
> If there are other comments, or suggestions, please let me know, and I will
> include it in the update.
>
> rob:
> I hope it is ok, that I bother you to update the site again later this week
> ?

Sure, not a problem.  If at all possible, it is a good practice to
grab the source from Subversion, to a genuine local working copy, and
then post your changes, including additions, as a diff file.

See:  http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/svn-basics.html#creating_and_submitting_patches

Give it a try,  All the cool contributors use Subversion ;-)

-Rob

> On 31 October 2012 22:06, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for a swift answer, I will have a look at it, and send you a new
>> version...I want to adhere to standards !!
>>
>> I might rebel from time to time, but then I try to get the standard
>> changed instead of violating it.
>>
>> Jan.
>>

>> On 31 October 2012 21:44, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> go.

>>> and
>>> will
>>> >

>>> I have not looked into it, but this part of the website seems to
>>> handle a local look and feel, along with the site-wide parts:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html
>>>
>>> Maybe reading through the way it was done here might help:
>>>

>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/product/
>>>
>>> It looks like they did it entirely as Markdown Text.  But that is a
>>> minor detail.
>>>
>>> The real magic happens here, I think, where the site templates are
>>> defined:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/templates/
>>>
>>> Note especially:
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/templates/product/ssi.mdtext
>>>
>>> Ah, and that then points back to:
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/product/leftnav.mdtext
>>>
>>> I'd recommend poking around.  Or, if you think the look and feel of
>>> the "product" part of the website is good, maybe even just copy that
>>> and change the content of the left navigator to reflect the links that
>>> you want to highlight?
>>>
>>> -Rob

>>> should I

>>> be

>>> we've
>>> replace

>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n-new/

>>> website
>>> site-wide

Re: Draft L10N website

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
Hi Jan,

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 01:40:36PM +0100, jan iversen wrote:

> Thanks a lot ariel.
>
> You have made them all, so I just need to do a little finetuning.
>
> However I do have a proposal for the site-wide template.
>
> - Could we please have "context-sensitive" menus.
>
> If I (being a web user) goto l10n.openOffice.org and click on "support", I
> expect support for l10n, and not the generic support. Especially for l10n
> the same is true for "native languages".
>
> It is quite easy to make the menus context sensitive, instead of referring
> in href to /support it should be something like
>
> The php function should look in current directory (l10n in my case) and if
> there exist a file support.html use it, or else use /support.php
>
> That way, our menus is consistent (which is good), but the content can be
> different depending on where you are.
>
> Could that be an idea ??
no, sorry, but Apache site does not use PHP at all. The site is mainly
static, it has server side includes only, there is cgi too, but
I haven't seen it used anywhere.

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Draft L10N website

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 11:47:18AM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> Sure, not a problem.  If at all possible, it is a good practice to
> grab the source from Subversion, to a genuine local working copy, and
> then post your changes, including additions, as a diff file.
>
> See:  http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/svn-basics.html#creating_and_submitting_patches
>
> Give it a try,  All the cool contributors use Subversion ;-)

Two advices before Jan gives it a try:

- make sure you have enough space, the whole checkout is circa 9 GB,
  besides the website gets "compiled", ca. 5 GB more

- Subversion really sucks, I would recommend to work with git-svn,
  specially with a repo this size

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

123