Draft OpenOffice Writer Usability Survey

Draft OpenOffice Writer Usability Survey

Rob Weir
I while ago we were contacted by some academic researchers in Spain
who wanted to do a usability study about OpenOffice Writer.   The
wanted to interview Writer users, both new and experienced.

You can read about the study here:
https://sites.google.com/site/silviateresitaacunna/Home/usability-in-oss

Since data privacy would not allow us to give them our mailing list to
contact the users directly, we came up with the idea of using an
opt-in survey to collect the names of those who would be interested.
You can see the draft survey here:

http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/396365/lang/en/

It collects basic info about the users and their experience level, and
then at the end asks if they agree to participate in the follow-up
study.  If they agree then we collect their email address.

If you get a chance, please review the survey and let me know of any concerns.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Draft OpenOffice Writer Usability Survey

Donald Whytock-2
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I while ago we were contacted by some academic researchers in Spain
> who wanted to do a usability study about OpenOffice Writer.   The
> wanted to interview Writer users, both new and experienced.
>
> You can read about the study here:
> https://sites.google.com/site/silviateresitaacunna/Home/usability-in-oss
>
> Since data privacy would not allow us to give them our mailing list to
> contact the users directly, we came up with the idea of using an
> opt-in survey to collect the names of those who would be interested.
> You can see the draft survey here:
>
> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/396365/lang/en/
>
> It collects basic info about the users and their experience level, and
> then at the end asks if they agree to participate in the follow-up
> study.  If they agree then we collect their email address.
>
> If you get a chance, please review the survey and let me know of any
> concerns.

The phrasing on the year questions, "Each answer must be between 0 and
100", seems a bit odd, as if one is expected to give more than one answer
to the question.

Other than that it looks fine to me.

Don

Re: Draft OpenOffice Writer Usability Survey

Andrea Pescetti-2
Rob Weir wrote:
> You can see the draft survey here:
> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/396365/lang/en/

I don't get the difference between being a University professor and
being employed (or better: I don't see the reason to make separate
categories for people who work at a University).

More important: the last page should give some more information about
the study, at least stating the topic (usability) in a more visible way.
But linking to the study directly would be OK too. so people know what
to expect.

The rest is OK for me.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Draft OpenOffice Writer Usability Survey

Shari Lynn Smith
It was fine to me.

powered by android

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Donald Whytock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I while ago we were contacted by some academic researchers in Spain
>> who wanted to do a usability study about OpenOffice Writer.   The
>> wanted to interview Writer users, both new and experienced.
>>
>> You can read about the study here:
>> https://sites.google.com/site/silviateresitaacunna/Home/usability-in-oss
>>
>> Since data privacy would not allow us to give them our mailing list to
>> contact the users directly, we came up with the idea of using an
>> opt-in survey to collect the names of those who would be interested.
>> You can see the draft survey here:
>>
>> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/396365/lang/en/
>>
>> It collects basic info about the users and their experience level, and
>> then at the end asks if they agree to participate in the follow-up
>> study.  If they agree then we collect their email address.
>>
>> If you get a chance, please review the survey and let me know of any
>> concerns.
>>

> The phrasing on the year questions, "Each answer must be between 0 and
> 100", seems a bit odd, as if one is expected to give more than one answer
> to the question.

Here's the issue with that question:   Our experience with the prior
two questions is that we run into trouble when asking a  "how long
have you been...." type question.  We saw people entering the year
they started doing the action.   So they would enter "2010" if they
started using OpenOffice in 2010 rather than "3" for three years.  So
the field validation is attempting to give an error if they make this
mistake.  It restricts the duration field to a number between 0 and
100.

-Rob

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> You can see the draft survey here:
>> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/396365/lang/en/
>

> I don't get the difference between being a University professor and being
> employed (or better: I don't see the reason to make separate categories for
> people who work at a University).

This is not how I would do this either.  But it is their study, so I'm
inclined to let them do it that way if they want...

> More important: the last page should give some more information about the
> study, at least stating the topic (usability) in a more visible way. But
> linking to the study directly would be OK too. so people know what to
> expect.

It links to the professor's website on introduction to the survey, but
it makes sense to repeat the link at the end as well.  I'll make that
change.

-Rob

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Donald Whytock <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I while ago we were contacted by some academic researchers in Spain
> >> who wanted to do a usability study about OpenOffice Writer.   The
> >> wanted to interview Writer users, both new and experienced.
> >>
> >> You can read about the study here:
> >>
> https://sites.google.com/site/silviateresitaacunna/Home/usability-in-oss
> >>
> >> Since data privacy would not allow us to give them our mailing list to
> >> contact the users directly, we came up with the idea of using an
> >> opt-in survey to collect the names of those who would be interested.
> >> You can see the draft survey here:
> >>
> >> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/396365/lang/en/
> >>
> >> It collects basic info about the users and their experience level, and
> >> then at the end asks if they agree to participate in the follow-up
> >> study.  If they agree then we collect their email address.
> >>
> >> If you get a chance, please review the survey and let me know of any
> >> concerns.
> >>

> > The phrasing on the year questions, "Each answer must be between 0 and
> > 100", seems a bit odd, as if one is expected to give more than one answer
> > to the question.
> >

> Here's the issue with that question:   Our experience with the prior
> two questions is that we run into trouble when asking a  "how long
> have you been...." type question.  We saw people entering the year
> they started doing the action.   So they would enter "2010" if they
> started using OpenOffice in 2010 rather than "3" for three years.  So
> the field validation is attempting to give an error if they make this
> mistake.  It restricts the duration field to a number between 0 and
> 100.

Oh, I understand the intent.  It was just the use of the word "each" that I
wondered about, since "Each answer must be between 0 and 100" appeared
before multiple questions.  So it was reading a bit to me that the
restriction applied to "each" of the presumably potentially multiple
answers to that question.

Re: Draft OpenOffice Writer Usability Survey

F C. Costero
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I while ago we were contacted by some academic researchers in Spain
> who wanted to do a usability study about OpenOffice Writer.   The
> wanted to interview Writer users, both new and experienced.
>
> You can read about the study here:
> https://sites.google.com/site/silviateresitaacunna/Home/usability-in-oss
>
> Since data privacy would not allow us to give them our mailing list to
> contact the users directly, we came up with the idea of using an
> opt-in survey to collect the names of those who would be interested.
> You can see the draft survey here:
>
> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/396365/lang/en/
>
> It collects basic info about the users and their experience level, and
> then at the end asks if they agree to participate in the follow-up
> study.  If they agree then we collect their email address.
>
> If you get a chance, please review the survey and let me know of any
> concerns.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

> In the question "Which of these applications do you know how to use?" I'm
not sure what the Other answer is intended to capture. I use several
applications besides word processors, spreadsheets, databases and email.
And leaving out a presentation application as an explicit option seems odd.
Francis