Drawing/Creating tables

jay andrews
A newbie here. In Word I would draw a table using the little pencil and
eraser in the Table part of the toolbar, into which I could insert text or
graphics. I can't seem to get a handle on the best way to do this in Writer.
I am inserting a table in a document, a table I can draw and divide up to
whatever dimensions I need, and into which I put the text and/or graphics.
How best to do this in Writer? Can you do it with Text frame? How?

Jay

Re: Drawing/Creating tables

Andy Lewis-3
jay andrews wrote:
> A newbie here. In Word I would draw a table using the little pencil and
> eraser in the Table part of the toolbar, into which I could insert text
> or graphics. I can't seem to get a handle on the best way to do this in
> Writer. I am inserting a table in a document, a table I can draw and
> divide up to whatever dimensions I need, and into which I put the text
> and/or graphics. How best to do this in Writer? Can you do it with Text
> frame? How?
>
> Jay

Click on the "table" icon on the main toolbar (looks like a grid) hold
down the mouse button and a grid appears - drag across this to show how
many rows and columns you require (the grid will show eg 4 x 5 at the
bottom)

When you release the mouse button your table is created.  By default it
covers the width of the page, but your can adjust the width of each
column by pointing at the borders, or at the divisions on the top ruler,
and dragging.

Similarly you can adjust the height of each row - I find it easier to
drag the divisions in the left ruler for this.  But in fact the height
will adjust automatically to fit the amount of text or the graphic your
insert

Hope that helps

Andy