Drop the KDE address book?

Damjan Jovanovic
Hi

Our KDE address book database driver (main/connectivity/source/drivers/kab)
only supports the KDE 3.2 - 3.6 address book API, not the more recent 4 and
5 which apparently use DBUS instead.

KDE 4 has been out since 2008, so the KDE address book hasn't been working
for KDE users for the past 9 years anyway. LibreOffice has apparently also
dropped it. It would also make porting connectivity to gbuild much easier,
as the only way to test it, is to use KDE 3 to build AOO...

Let's get rid of it?

Damjan

Re: Drop the KDE address book?

Matthias Seidel
Hi Damjan,

+1 from me.

Matthias

Am 20.07.2017 um 10:23 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:

> Hi
>
> Our KDE address book database driver (main/connectivity/source/drivers/kab)
> only supports the KDE 3.2 - 3.6 address book API, not the more recent 4 and
> 5 which apparently use DBUS instead.
>
> KDE 4 has been out since 2008, so the KDE address book hasn't been working
> for KDE users for the past 9 years anyway. LibreOffice has apparently also
> dropped it. It would also make porting connectivity to gbuild much easier,
> as the only way to test it, is to use KDE 3 to build AOO...
>
> Let's get rid of it?
>
> Damjan

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Drop the KDE address book?

Peter Kovacs-3
+1 can we integrate KDE 4 or 5 today?
Do we have a gap?

Am 20. Juli 2017 10:56:46 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

>Hi Damjan,
>
>+1 from me.
>
>Matthias
>

>Am 20.07.2017 um 10:23 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>> Hi
>>
>> Our KDE address book database driver
>(main/connectivity/source/drivers/kab)
>> only supports the KDE 3.2 - 3.6 address book API, not the more recent
>4 and
>> 5 which apparently use DBUS instead.
>>
>> KDE 4 has been out since 2008, so the KDE address book hasn't been
>working
>> for KDE users for the past 9 years anyway. LibreOffice has apparently
>also
>> dropped it. It would also make porting connectivity to gbuild much
>easier,
>> as the only way to test it, is to use KDE 3 to build AOO...
>>
>> Let's get rid of it?
>>
>> Damjan

Re: Drop the KDE address book?

Damjan Jovanovic
Integrate how?

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Peter kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 can we integrate KDE 4 or 5 today?
> Do we have a gap?
>

> Am 20. Juli 2017 10:56:46 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <
> [hidden email]>:
> >Hi Damjan,
> >
> >+1 from me.
> >
> >Matthias
> >

> >Am 20.07.2017 um 10:23 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Our KDE address book database driver
> >(main/connectivity/source/drivers/kab)
> >> only supports the KDE 3.2 - 3.6 address book API, not the more recent
> >4 and
> >> 5 which apparently use DBUS instead.
> >>
> >> KDE 4 has been out since 2008, so the KDE address book hasn't been
> >working
> >> for KDE users for the past 9 years anyway. LibreOffice has apparently
> >also
> >> dropped it. It would also make porting connectivity to gbuild much
> >easier,
> >> as the only way to test it, is to use KDE 3 to build AOO...
> >>
> >> Let's get rid of it?
> >>
> >> Damjan

Re: Drop the KDE address book?

Peter Kovacs-3
I mean can we today access KDE adressbook in version 4 or 5.

Am 20. Juli 2017 17:54:16 MESZ schrieb Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]>:

>Integrate how?
>
>On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Peter kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 can we integrate KDE 4 or 5 today?
>> Do we have a gap?
>>

>> Am 20. Juli 2017 10:56:46 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <
>> [hidden email]>:
>> >Hi Damjan,
>> >
>> >+1 from me.
>> >
>> >Matthias

>> >(main/connectivity/source/drivers/kab)
>recent
>> >4 and

>> >working
>apparently
>> >also
>> >easier,

Re: Drop the KDE address book?

Damjan Jovanovic
Access would be possible, if a JDBC or ODBC driver for the KDE 4/5 address
book existed, since we have bridges to JDBC and ODBC.

A native driver, like the one we have for KDE 3, would require a rewrite.

Database drivers are complex, there's 149 methods in the XDatabaseMetaData
UNO interface alone, and the com.sun.star.sdbc and com.sun.star.sdbcx
modules have many services with many interfaces.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Peter kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I mean can we today access KDE adressbook in version 4 or 5.
>
> Am 20. Juli 2017 17:54:16 MESZ schrieb Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]
> >:
> >Integrate how?
> >
> >On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Peter kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 can we integrate KDE 4 or 5 today?
> >> Do we have a gap?

> >recent

> >apparently

Re: Drop the KDE address book?

Marcus (OOo)
+1
I'm sure nobody has installed such old KDE version together with a
recent OpenOffice. Therefore it doesn't make sense to drag it any longer
with us when it isn't working anyway.

Marcus

> Hi Damjan,
>
> +1 from me.
>
> Matthias
>

> Am 20.07.2017 um 10:23 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>> Hi
>>
>> Our KDE address book database driver (main/connectivity/source/drivers/kab)
>> only supports the KDE 3.2 - 3.6 address book API, not the more recent 4 and
>> 5 which apparently use DBUS instead.
>>
>> KDE 4 has been out since 2008, so the KDE address book hasn't been working
>> for KDE users for the past 9 years anyway. LibreOffice has apparently also
>> dropped it. It would also make porting connectivity to gbuild much easier,
>> as the only way to test it, is to use KDE 3 to build AOO...
>>
>> Let's get rid of it?
>>
>> Damjan

Re: Drop the KDE address book?

Alexandro Colorado
Can we use Qdbus? Should be rather easy task.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
> I'm sure nobody has installed such old KDE version together with a recent
> OpenOffice. Therefore it doesn't make sense to drag it any longer with us
> when it isn't working anyway.
>
> Marcus

>> Hi Damjan,
>>
>> +1 from me.
>>
>> Matthias
>>

>> Am 20.07.2017 um 10:23 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Our KDE address book database driver (main/connectivity/source/driv
>>> ers/kab)
>>> only supports the KDE 3.2 - 3.6 address book API, not the more recent 4
>>> and
>>> 5 which apparently use DBUS instead.
>>>
>>> KDE 4 has been out since 2008, so the KDE address book hasn't been
>>> working
>>> for KDE users for the past 9 years anyway. LibreOffice has apparently
>>> also
>>> dropped it. It would also make porting connectivity to gbuild much
>>> easier,
>>> as the only way to test it, is to use KDE 3 to build AOO...
>>>
>>> Let's get rid of it?
>>>
>>> Damjan

Alexandro Colorado
GULTab.org