Dummy text in Windows installer

Matthias Seidel
Hi @all,

I would like to remove some dummy text from the Windows installer.
In fact I have never seen a program using "ARPHELPTELEPHONE". Better
leave it blank than to use "x-xxx-xxx-xxx" ;-)

My local builds are behaving well, but I am not sure what impact it has
on import/export of translations.

Any ideas?

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Dummy text in Windows installer

Marcus (OOo)
> I would like to remove some dummy text from the Windows installer.
> In fact I have never seen a program using "ARPHELPTELEPHONE". Better
> leave it blank than to use "x-xxx-xxx-xxx" ;-)

have you checked the related requirements on the Microsoft webpages?
I've found [1] and [2]. But I'm not sure if it's a mandatory element or not.

> My local builds are behaving well, but I am not sure what impact it has
> on import/export of translations.

Please can you give us the pointer to the code in SVN?

[1]
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa367588(v=vs.85).aspx
[2]
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370905(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks

Marcus

Am 30.03.2018 um 00:10 schrieb Marcus:
I would like to remove some dummy text from the Windows installer.
In fact I have never seen a program using "ARPHELPTELEPHONE". Better
leave it blank than to use "x-xxx-xxx-xxx" ;-)

have you checked the related requirements on the Microsoft webpages?
I've found [1] and [2]. But I'm not sure if it's a mandatory element or not.

No, it isn't mandatory.
But to be clear, I don't want to remove the key itself, only the (dummy) value. Even Microsoft leaves it blank. ;-)

My question is, what impact does it have on Pootle synchronization if I also delete the unused string from:
/main/instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages

Regards,
   Matthias

My local builds are behaving well, but I am not sure what impact it has
on import/export of translations.

Please can you give us the pointer to the code in SVN?

[1] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa367588(v=vs.85).aspx
[2] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370905(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks

Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Dummy text in Windows installer

Marcus (OOo)

> Am 30.03.2018 um 00:10 schrieb Marcus:
>>> I would like to remove some dummy text from the Windows installer.
>>> In fact I have never seen a program using "ARPHELPTELEPHONE". Better
>>> leave it blank than to use "x-xxx-xxx-xxx" ;-)
>>
>> have you checked the related requirements on the Microsoft webpages?
>> I've found [1] and [2]. But I'm not sure if it's a mandatory element
>> or not.
>
> No, it isn't mandatory.
> But to be clear, I don't want to remove the key itself, only the (dummy)
> value. Even Microsoft leaves it blank. ;-)

ah, OK.

> My question is, what impact does it have on Pootle synchronization if I
> also delete the unused string from:
> /main/instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages

I've no clue what will happen with Pootle. Maybe Andrea has an idea?. I
think you just have to test this.

Marcus

>>> My local builds are behaving well, but I am not sure what impact it has
>>> on import/export of translations.
>>
>> Please can you give us the pointer to the code in SVN?
>>
>> [1]
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa367588(v=vs.85).aspx
>> [2]
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370905(v=vs.85).aspx

Re: Dummy text in Windows installer

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 31/03/2018 Marcus wrote:
>> My question is, what impact does it have on Pootle synchronization if
>> I also delete the unused string from:
>> /main/instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages
>
> I've no clue what will happen with Pootle. Maybe Andrea has an idea?

I don't think this will have a bigger impact than other changes that are
already in trunk. We are still quite behind in the localization process
for 4.2.0, not yet at a point where we have the full process under
control. But this shouldn't block improvements.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Dummy text in Windows installer

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

There is another quite generic string in the Windows installer:

ARPCONTACT = Department for technical support

I would like to replace it. Would "Apache Software Foundation" fit better?

Regards,

   Matthias

> Hi @all,
>
> I would like to remove some dummy text from the Windows installer.
> In fact I have never seen a program using "ARPHELPTELEPHONE". Better
> leave it blank than to use "x-xxx-xxx-xxx" ;-)
>
> My local builds are behaving well, but I am not sure what impact it has
> on import/export of translations.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Dummy text in Windows installer

Marcus (OOo)
> There is another quite generic string in the Windows installer:
>
> ARPCONTACT = Department for technical support
>
> I would like to replace it. Would "Apache Software Foundation" fit better?

for me this is fine.

Marcus

>> I would like to remove some dummy text from the Windows installer.
>> In fact I have never seen a program using "ARPHELPTELEPHONE". Better
>> leave it blank than to use "x-xxx-xxx-xxx" ;-)
>>
>> My local builds are behaving well, but I am not sure what impact it has
>> on import/export of translations.
>>
>> Any idea

Re: Dummy text in Windows installer

Peter Kovacs-2
How about Forum.openoffice.org?

Am 14. Mai 2018 21:49:14 MESZ schrieb Marcus <[hidden email]>:

>Am 13.05.2018 um 21:22 schrieb Matthias Seidel:
>> There is another quite generic string in the Windows installer:
>>
>> ARPCONTACT = Department for technical support
>>
>> I would like to replace it. Would "Apache Software Foundation" fit
>better?
>
>for me this is fine.
>
>Marcus

>>> I would like to remove some dummy text from the Windows installer.
>>> In fact I have never seen a program using "ARPHELPTELEPHONE". Better
>>> leave it blank than to use "x-xxx-xxx-xxx" ;-)
>>>
>>> My local builds are behaving well, but I am not sure what impact it
>has
>>> on import/export of translations.
>>>
>>> Any idea

Re: Dummy text in Windows installer

Matthias Seidel
Hi Peter,

Am 15.05.2018 um 01:33 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> How about Forum.openoffice.org?

For that purpose we have ARPHELPLINK which now simply links to
www.openoffice.org.
(Like ARPURLINFOABOUT and ARPURLUPDATEINFO)

Other than the three above ARPCONTACT is not visible to the user and can
only be seen in the registry.
So this is a minor issue, but I would like to have the ASF mentioned
somewhere.
Of course "Apache OpenOffice" would do as well...

Regards,
   Matthias