EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Edward Eckhard
I can no longer Export simple updated PDF files to a flash drive. Have always used the
"Export" Option from "File", but it's not working now. Then tried the "Export as PDF" Option
and it does not work either. Don't see any real difference with either option and the
HELP routine is not helpful. The simple "Export" Option has exported just fine for two years,
until recently. I must have inadvertently done something to prevent exporting. BUT WHAT ?

Your input will be helpful. Thank you.

Edward

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Wade Smart-2
What system are you using and what version
of OO are you using?
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Edward Eckhard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can no longer Export simple updated PDF files to a flash drive. Have always used the
> "Export" Option from "File", but it's not working now. Then tried the "Export as PDF" Option
> and it does not work either. Don't see any real difference with either option and the
> HELP routine is not helpful. The simple "Export" Option has exported just fine for two years,
> until recently. I must have inadvertently done something to prevent exporting. BUT WHAT ?
>
> Your input will be helpful. Thank you.
>
> Edward

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Edward Eckhard

I use an HP, OO version 4.1.5.  If you need more, I'll dig it out.
Thanks for responding !

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can no longer Export simple updated PDF files to a flash drive. Have always used the
> "Export" Option from "File", but it's not working now. Then tried the "Export as PDF" Option
> and it does not work either. Don't see any real difference with either option and the
> HELP routine is not helpful. The simple "Export" Option has exported just fine for two years,
> until recently. I must have inadvertently done something to prevent exporting. BUT WHAT ?
>
> Your input will be helpful. Thank you.
>
> Edward

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Steven Ahlers
I generally generate PDFs from the print dialogue: from File menu choose Print, in bottom left corner there’s a button to start the PDF dialogue which allows you to name the file and where you want to save it.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 26, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Edward Eckhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I use an HP, OO version 4.1.5.  If you need more, I'll dig it out.
> Thanks for responding !

Brian Barker-2
At 15:06 26/05/2020 -0500, Steven Ahlers wrote:
>I generally generate PDFs from the print dialogue: from File menu
>choose Print, in bottom left corner there's a button to start the
>PDF dialogue which allows you to name the file and where you want to save it.

Really? Then you cannot be using OpenOffice! There is no such button.

The only way to can use the Print dialogue to create a PDF version of
a document is if you happen to have a PDF virtual printer installed
on your system. That is quite a useful thing to have and you might
want to recommend it to others, but it is not a part of OpenOffice
and you cannot assume others will have it.

Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Chuck Spalding
Perhaps he's using a Mac, on which the print dialog for all(?) applications
(definitely including OpenOffice) provides the ability to "print to PDF".

Chuck

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 2:26 PM Brian Barker
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 15:06 26/05/2020 -0500, Steven Ahlers wrote:
> >I generally generate PDFs from the print dialogue: from File menu
> >choose Print, in bottom left corner there's a button to start the
> >PDF dialogue which allows you to name the file and where you want to save
> it.
>
> Really? Then you cannot be using OpenOffice! There is no such button.
>
> The only way to can use the Print dialogue to create a PDF version of
> a document is if you happen to have a PDF virtual printer installed
> on your system. That is quite a useful thing to have and you might
> want to recommend it to others, but it is not a part of OpenOffice
> and you cannot assume others will have it.
>
> Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Drew Jensen
Same for AOO on Linux, print to pdf works for me. (AOO 4.2 dev build)

At 14:33 26/05/2020 -0700, Chuck Spalding wrote:
>Perhaps he's using a Mac, on which the print dialog for all(?)
>applications (definitely including OpenOffice) provides the ability
>to "print to PDF".

Aha! So MacOS comes bundled with a virtual PDF printer? Thanks. But
the majority of users (such as the original questioner, who uses
Windows 10) won't necessarily see this.

Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Steven Ahlers
Yes, I primarily use my Mac. I guess I assumed that Windoz was the same. Just tried on my Windoz machine and the choice came up as a printer at the top of the print dialogue. Thanks for alerting me to the difference.

Sent from my iPhone

At 17:35 26/05/2020 -0400, Drew Jensen wrote:
>Same for AOO on Linux, print to pdf works for me. (AOO 4.2 dev build)

So you are saying that your Linux installation also comes with a PDF
virtual printer? Good. But - again - we cannot assume that this is so
for all users, as it is not part of OpenOffice.

Brian Barker

At 17:11 26/05/2020 -0500, Steven Ahlers wrote:
>Yes, I primarily use my Mac. I guess I assumed that Windoz was the
>same. Just tried on my Windoz machine and the choice came up as a
>printer at the top of the print dialogue. Thanks for alerting me to
>the difference.

So - like me -  you have a PDF virtual printer installed on your
Windows system. That's wise, since creating a PDF version of your
document via the Print dialogue and a virtual printer provides
facilities not available via the built-in Export as PDF..., such as
OpenOffice's "Brochure" option.

Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Drew Jensen
Yes, I was apparently mistaken and the built in support is only via
export, while print to pdf has to be supplied by an OS resource.

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:42 PM Brian Barker
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 17:35 26/05/2020 -0400, Drew Jensen wrote:
> >Same for AOO on Linux, print to pdf works for me. (AOO 4.2 dev build)
>
> So you are saying that your Linux installation also comes with a PDF
> virtual printer? Good. But - again - we cannot assume that this is so
> for all users, as it is not part of OpenOffice.
>
> Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Haim Giloh
Hello, please be aware:  this mail has been *sent erroneously to me*,
instead of to the person who has submitted the question.
To a number of other people asking for support has happened the same.
Sincerely,
Haim Giloh

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 7:25 AM Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yes, I was apparently mistaken and the built in support is only via
> export, while print to pdf has to be supplied by an OS resource.
>

> On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:42 PM Brian Barker
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > At 17:35 26/05/2020 -0400, Drew Jensen wrote:
> > >Same for AOO on Linux, print to pdf works for me. (AOO 4.2 dev build)
> >
> > So you are saying that your Linux installation also comes with a PDF
> > virtual printer? Good. But - again - we cannot assume that this is so
> > for all users, as it is not part of OpenOffice.
> >
> > Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Haim Giloh
  Hello, please be aware:  this mail has been *sent erroneously to me*,
instead of to the person who has submitted the question.
To a number of other people asking for support has happened the same.
Sincerely,
Haim Giloh

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 17:35 26/05/2020 -0400, Drew Jensen wrote:
> >Same for AOO on Linux, print to pdf works for me. (AOO 4.2 dev build)
>
> So you are saying that your Linux installation also comes with a PDF
> virtual printer? Good. But - again - we cannot assume that this is so
> for all users, as it is not part of OpenOffice.
>
> Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Peter Kovacs-3
The users mailing list send to all who are subscribed. So you receive all mails send to the list.

Am 27. Mai 2020 07:34:12 MESZ schrieb Haim Giloh <[hidden email]>:

>  Hello, please be aware:  this mail has been *sent erroneously to me*,
>instead of to the person who has submitted the question.
>To a number of other people asking for support has happened the same.
>Sincerely,
>Haim Giloh
>
>On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 6:42 AM Brian Barker
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> At 17:35 26/05/2020 -0400, Drew Jensen wrote:
>> >Same for AOO on Linux, print to pdf works for me. (AOO 4.2 dev
>build)
>>
>> So you are saying that your Linux installation also comes with a PDF
>> virtual printer? Good. But - again - we cannot assume that this is so
>> for all users, as it is not part of OpenOffice.
>>
>> Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Haim Giloh
  Hello, please be aware:  this mail has been *sent erroneously to me*,
instead of to the person who has submitted the question.
To a number of other people asking for support has happened the same.
Sincerely,
Haim Giloh

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 1:11 AM Steven Ahlers <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yes, I primarily use my Mac. I guess I assumed that Windoz was the same.
> Just tried on my Windoz machine and the choice came up as a printer at the
> top of the print dialogue. Thanks for alerting me to the difference.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 26, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > At 14:33 26/05/2020 -0700, Chuck Spalding wrote:
> >> Perhaps he's using a Mac, on which the print dialog for all(?)
> applications (definitely including OpenOffice) provides the ability to
> "print to PDF".
> >
> > Aha! So MacOS comes bundled with a virtual PDF printer? Thanks. But the
> majority of users (such as the original questioner, who uses Windows 10)
> won't necessarily see this.
> >
> > Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Haim Giloh
On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 12:42 AM Brian Barker
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 14:33 26/05/2020 -0700, Chuck Spalding wrote:
> >Perhaps he's using a Mac, on which the print dialog for all(?)
> >applications (definitely including OpenOffice) provides the ability
> >to "print to PDF".
>
> Aha! So MacOS comes bundled with a virtual PDF printer? Thanks. But
> the majority of users (such as the original questioner, who uses
> Windows 10) won't necessarily see this.
>
> Brian Barker

Re: EXPORTING NARRATIVE FILES

Haim Giloh
  Hello, please be aware:  this mail has been *sent erroneously to me*,
instead of to the person who has submitted the question.
To a number of other people asking for support has happened the same.
Sincerely,
Haim Giloh

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:06 PM Steven Ahlers <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I generally generate PDFs from the print dialogue: from File menu choose
> Print, in bottom left corner there’s a button to start the PDF dialogue
> which allows you to name the file and where you want to save it.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 26, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Edward Eckhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > I use an HP, OO version 4.1.5.  If you need more, I'll dig it out.
> > Thanks for responding !

Keith N. McKenna
On 5/27/2020 1:52 AM, Haim Giloh wrote:
>   Hello, please be aware:  this mail has been *sent erroneously to me*,
> instead of to the person who has submitted the question.
> To a number of other people asking for support has happened the same.
> Sincerely,
> Haim Giloh

Haim;

As Peter already explained this is a public mailing list; which means
that all subscribed users receive all e-mails sent to the list. If you
do not want wish to receive these mails you can unsubscribe  to the
list. At the bottom of e-mails there is a link to unsubscribe. Just
click that link and it will send an e-mail. You will then receive an
e-mail that you must reply to that will complete the process.

<snip>