Error - file lock - urgent

Herbert Gnaś
Hello,

I desperately need help in recovering a file. I was working on a document
and suddenly my computer rebooted and now my file is locked for edition and
when I try to open it I only get tons of lines of #s. I read what may be
the cause so I don't need that information but only how to recover the file.

Regards,
Herbert

Re: Error - file lock - urgent

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 18:33:14 +0200
Herbert Gnaś <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I desperately need help in recovering a file. I was working on a document
> and suddenly my computer rebooted and now my file is locked for edition and
> when I try to open it I only get tons of lines of #s. I read what may be
> the cause so I don't need that information but only how to recover the file.
>
> Regards,
> Herbert

Previous experience tells that your file will be utterly corrupt.  Try the methods in this post, as soon as possible, in the hope of recovering part or all of it.

The damage is due to the sudden power-off of computer, which did not permit the file and the file housekeeping to be written to disk. The problem may have been caused by a Windows Update, which seem to suddenly take over the computer.

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038

This is a Tutorial on How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files[/url] for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted.  This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

There will be nothing usable in your damaged file - waste no time with it.  Try the recovery methods above.
--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>