Extensions website outage

FR web forum
Unable to connect :-(
http://status.apache.org says that all is ok

Re: Extensions website outage

Andrea Pescetti-2
FR web forum wrote:
> Unable to connect :-(
> http://status.apache.org says that all is ok

Extensions is not hosted at Apache. It is hosted by SourceForge, and
apparently they are having issues:

https://twitter.com/sfnet_ops

I currently get this on https://extensions.openoffice.org/ for the
record: "Sourceforge project sites are currently under maintenance.
Please check back later.  We thank you for your patience."

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Extensions website outage

Dave Brondsema
On 3/1/18 12:08 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> FR web forum wrote:
>> Unable to connect :-(
>> http://status.apache.org says that all is ok
>
> Extensions is not hosted at Apache. It is hosted by SourceForge, and apparently
> they are having issues:
>
> https://twitter.com/sfnet_ops
>
> I currently get this on https://extensions.openoffice.org/ for the record:
> "Sourceforge project sites are currently under maintenance. Please check back
> later.  We thank you for your patience."
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Correct.  We will be prioritizing getting the extensions and templates sites up
as soon as we can, we know they are important services.

--
Dave Brondsema : [hidden email]
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Dave Brondsema wrote:
> On 3/1/18 12:08 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> I currently get this on https://extensions.openoffice.org/ for the record:
>> "Sourceforge project sites are currently under maintenance. Please check back
>> later.  We thank you for your patience."
>
> Correct.  We will be prioritizing getting the extensions and templates sites up
> as soon as we can, we know they are important services.

OK, thanks. Indeed SourceForge used to provide excellent service for
hosting of downloads, Extensions and Templates. It seems that after the
move to the new datacenter announced a few week ago (maybe just a
coincidence, maybe some technical issues related to the new
infrastructure) reliability problems are more frequent. I hope bugs will
be ironed out soon.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Extensions website outage

Roberto Galoppini-2

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>> On 3/1/18 12:08 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>>> I currently get this on https://extensions.openoffice.org/ for the
>>> record:
>>> "Sourceforge project sites are currently under maintenance. Please check
>>> back
>>> later.  We thank you for your patience."
>>>

>> Correct.  We will be prioritizing getting the extensions and templates
>> sites up
>> as soon as we can, we know they are important services.
>>

> OK, thanks. Indeed SourceForge used to provide excellent service for
> hosting of downloads, Extensions and Templates. It seems that after the
> move to the new datacenter announced a few week ago (maybe just a
> coincidence, maybe some technical issues related to the new infrastructure)
> reliability problems are more frequent. I hope bugs will be ironed out soon.

As the person who made possible for SourceForge to become Apache OpenOffice
official distribution channel, I feel compelled to advance some asks.

1. SourceForge should inform us in advance if infrastructural changes are
on going, so that we can plan in advance a backup plan;
    (and to be clear I think we need a backup plan anyway, uptime should be
taken very seriously by a popular project)

2. We understand SourceForge is having issues to let things work, yet we
expect OUR infrastructure to be your top priority
    (reason: multiply over 100M downloads for a dozen impressions, it's a
LOT of money, we're special to SourceForge)

Please understand my asks are setting a very low bar. In fact we're not
talking of giving us back - as SourceForge used to do regularly until two
years ago, think of Extensions and Templates continuous improvements - but
we merely talk of providing a download service, something SourceForge
should do right for its own business interests. Fail to comply with these
basic requirements is not acceptable in my opinion.

Best,

Roberto

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Re: Extensions website outage

Dave Fisher

On 3/2/18 2:29 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:

>> Dave Brondsema wrote:

>>> Correct.  We will be prioritizing getting the extensions and templates
>>> sites up
>>> as soon as we can, we know they are important services.
>>>

>> OK, thanks. Indeed SourceForge used to provide excellent service for
>> hosting of downloads, Extensions and Templates. It seems that after the
>> move to the new datacenter announced a few week ago (maybe just a
>> coincidence, maybe some technical issues related to the new infrastructure)
>> reliability problems are more frequent. I hope bugs will be ironed out soon.
>>

> As the person who made possible for SourceForge to become Apache OpenOffice
> official distribution channel, I feel compelled to advance some asks.
>
> 1. SourceForge should inform us in advance if infrastructural changes are
> on going, so that we can plan in advance a backup plan;
>     (and to be clear I think we need a backup plan anyway, uptime should be
> taken very seriously by a popular project)
>
> 2. We understand SourceForge is having issues to let things work, yet we
> expect OUR infrastructure to be your top priority
>     (reason: multiply over 100M downloads for a dozen impressions, it's a
> LOT of money, we're special to SourceForge)
>
> Please understand my asks are setting a very low bar. In fact we're not
> talking of giving us back - as SourceForge used to do regularly until two
> years ago, think of Extensions and Templates continuous improvements - but
> we merely talk of providing a download service, something SourceForge
> should do right for its own business interests. Fail to comply with these
> basic requirements is not acceptable in my opinion.
>
> Best,
>
> Roberto

We are using a limited static environment to provide downloads, so end-users of
Apache OpenOffice and other projects can still download just fine.

The Extensions and Templates sites will be a top priority as best we're able to,
when we start to bring things back online.

The current downtime for Extensions and Templates and the rest of SourceForge
was not planned.  The datacenter and other recent changes have been announced on
https://twitter.com/sfnet_ops and going forward if we have planned maintenance I
can notify this list directly.  We're not planning on changing datacenters again
though :D

--
Dave Brondsema : [hidden email]
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming
              <><

Re: Extensions website outage

Dave Brondsema
https://templates.openoffice.org/ and https://extensions.openoffice.org/ are
back up.  Thanks for your patience.

Dave Brondsema wrote:
> https://templates.openoffice.org/ and https://extensions.openoffice.org/ are
> back up.  Thanks for your patience.

Thanks! Sites are indeed back and pages are shown correctly. Still,
users are reporting that they cannot download extensions so I guess this
is not fixed yet, right? I mean, the pages are displayed but the files
are not available for download yet.

Indeed, if I open the page of an extension I maintain (Italian
Dictionary)
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/italian-dictionary-thesaurus-hyphenation-patterns
and I click on Download (top right) I get "500 - Oh snap! We can't
process this request." - same as what users are reporting.

You will find other reports from users at
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?users@...

Regards,
   Andrea.

Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Thanks! Sites are indeed back and pages are shown correctly. Still,
> users are reporting that they cannot download extensions so I guess this
> is not fixed yet, right? I mean, the pages are displayed but the files
> are not available for download yet.

Answering myself: a few minutes after I wrote this,
https://twitter.com/sfnet_ops was updated to say "The issue affecting
downloads and search has been resolved" and I confirm I can now download
the Italian dictionary correctly.

Regards,
   Andrea.